Are japanese novels/manga dying?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Fictionaddiction, Aug 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fictionaddiction

Fictionaddiction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First I was totally fascinated by Japanese manga/anime and who wouldn't it's different and totally unique from boring movies and cartoons... then as I discovered NU I fell for Chinese novels, they give an instant dose of satisfaction and get right to the point.
    Also JP novel translations are weird. They use weird English to try to preserve the Japanese sentence structure and makes the whole thing cartoonish.

Then webtoons came out and the manga layout became a chore to read and the stories are not as good as they were to me before.
    Now the only remaining JP thing tolerable to me is Anime... and I bet that too would be lame soon ...
    Anyone else feels the same? just a random rant here

Edit: OK NVM I went to a mixed manga site and saw the top were JP mangas though CN and KR webtoons are catching up pretty fast.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  2. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. Nothing can compare to the sheer variety that is manga

Mr v, Gitami, Kaylee and 11 others like this.
  3. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As entertaining as ever imo

Fictionaddiction and AliceShiki like this.
  4. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope not a bit. Manga is going just as strong as it has been for the last 20 or so years. Anime on the other hand... I fee like the last 4-5 years have overall been pretty crappy from a quality standpoint (a few excellent movies/series, but the rest unwatchable.)

5. TDDM

TDDM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No it's just like you said your interest shifted. I had the same thing I read a lot of cultivation novels and now I'm reading more Korean novels and don't notice the cultivation ones as much.

6. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like someone is in dire need of mangas infusion :D:D:D
    There are tons of new mangas out there that just translated (though quality are varied). So much that it's flooding & kinda overwhelming due to their numbers (I mean, think 'bout it, let's say you usually read 5 titles & then found another interesting one, then another & another, soon you'll be swamped & probably need to drop some of the old ones)
    Also, the format on webtoon you're talking about? They're using the same format of 4-koma manga (or similar to) + web manhua & manhwas, one long page & cells to cells are to be read from top to bottom which are easier to read on today's phones & tablets (hence they're catered to. It's much easier to slide up & down i/o side to side + you don't have to be tethered like a desktop & less carry weight than a laptop), the format also would give the artist more space than traditional/printed style comic & manga

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Fictionaddiction likes this.
  7. FearFire

FearFire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh Im sure manga is still doing well just the source I used to read it died (Kissmanga) and I never really bothered to go find another site to fill the void. Anime always has its winners and losers in quality, but I don't really see that declining either. If anything anime has become much more popular with now shows coming out from here in the west that while arn't anime are pretty great in quality. (Looking at you invincible even if you scarred me)

8. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really? What you talked about is about your experience, after all. I'm sure you aren't the targeted demography at all now. Dying is if people don't like it, so give me the read data across age groups and across time in japan, and I can tell you if it is dying or not. Foreign market is not the japanese concern. It is the concern of localization companies throughout the world. Then, only if you are japanese, do you fit your age/gender classification to what you read?

Nuffians of old usually goes JP -> CN -> KR. I wonder if soon, you' ll fit this pattern? Though there seems to be lack of quality KR nowadays.

9. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, jp novels were always like that... It's therefore called light novel. Light to read or sth. It used to be okay to read their first pov for me. But ever since i read lots of 3rd pov. I can't seem to stomach 1st pov and switching pov. Doesnt make it better when jap novels feel childish or written like by a child sometimes. Most are wish fulfillment for themselves.

Mangas are still going strong. Just lots of isekai tensei harem, cuz japanese still think harem sells lmao. Or like sao case. Give the protagonist a series of potential waifus. The what if routes.

As for anime. Meh, it's okay. I liked ascendance of bookworm anime. The other anime adaptions qualities dropped though. For eg tate no yuusha. They changed a part which made an important scene sorta illogical.

10. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dudewhat?
    Nipponji stuff is the most varied among the asian productions, its true that they have lots of generic garbage, but its said that 90% of everything is trash, so thats acceptable
    Korean novels are too repetitive on their MMO-like settings, and chinese novels are too focused on the faceslapping, japanese novels may be saturated with slow life, but they still produce weird and unusual things at a higher rate
    Then again, you said this
    What?!!
    This guys believes chinesse novels are straight to the point????
    *coughs blood*
    *Cousing arrives*
    This noob cannot see how high is Mt Tai, as to believe chinese novels go to the point!!!
    *Second cousin arrives*
    Have your eyes gone rotten???
    Who would say chinese novels go to the point
    *Third cousin, second removed arrives*
    You are one thousand years too young to declare chinese novels go to the point!!!!!!!
    *Sect master drops by*
    Who is this miscreant that declares chinese novels go to the point???
    He is courting death!!!
    *Random-peasant-on-the-public's inner monologue*
    Who is this man at the measly 290-ish messages power tier, yet he believes chinese novels go to the point?!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

Rika77, asriu, AlvoisSam and 8 others like this.
  11. NoLongerTheSame

NoLongerTheSame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Far from it. I was first introduced to JP web/light novels and manga, and because of my growing dislike for JP tropes, I now prefer to read CN/KR stuff over their JP counterparts. However, I still read JP stuff just not mainstream ones. Although I do read webtoons more now than manga, it's simply because... it's easier to the eyes. Yet if I want to get immersed in the story, I'd pick manga in a heart beat; again, not the mainstream ones.

I recently read these:
    Tale of an Edible Girl (JP LN) - a rather realistic take on Isekai
    Shinjuku Swan (JP Manga) - takes on a theme that's seldom found on webtoons, and I believe it's what makes mangas so damn good.

12. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone has their own tastes. You can't say that a entire cultural expession is dying just because it doesn't suits the tastes of a single person, even if that person is your own self. That's quite egocentric.

13. AbrarMalik

AbrarMalik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Manga > Manhwa and Manhua.
    manhua overall are just shite compared to manhwa and manga. Problem with Manhwa is that 90% of them are concentrated into either the reincarnated back into time in a dungeon toweresque setting or a shoujo story with time travel

14. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just you that's evolved strangely. Webtoons layout sucks for me, scrolling down all the time is annoying as hell and there's so much blank space between panels sometimes which doesn't compensate for their colours.

Are you talking about MTL? Because without example I can't properly refute you.

runsing likes this.
  15. Legowaffles

Legowaffles Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. They are already dead. You see, there are absolutely no new novels, manga, or anime being made. Everyone involved in making such things suddenly fell over dead of heart attacks Death Note style. On top of that, everyone who ever wanted to make such things spontaneously decided: "Meh, I can have a much better life doing other things. Noone would be interested anyways." As a result, they have all become Quantum Physicists and are figuring out cold fusion. Except for one random guy with Chunnibyou who decided he was going to study magic and become a wizard.

16. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've mostly been enjoying manhwa/webtoons lately as well.

But, no.

Fictionaddiction and AliceShiki like this.
  17. Owl Escapee

Owl Escapee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I think OP is asking if others share their personal experiences, but the title is very misleading, and is gonna get a bunch of people jumping on them going "THE MANGA INDUSTRY IS AS STRONG AS EVER" If it's intentional clickbait, well played :blob_coffee:
    I'm guessing they're referring to a kind of stylistic convention that circulates in parts of this translation community about how ln should sound when they're translated. Which by my personal guess, is partially influenced by MTL, partially by amateur translators who don't have any training in localization, and partially stylistic choices brought over from scanlation culture to make it "sound more Japanese". It can be a hot topic lol, check people's strong opinions about the use of untranslated honorifics and ba and en in cn translations.
    The ghost of Miazaki is pleased, his work is done /thumbs up if you get the joke lol:blobsweat::blobpopcorn_cool:

18. John Matheus de J. L. Reis

John Matheus de J. L. Reis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Short answer, no.
    long answer, you just lost your interest towards manga, etc.

AliceShiki likes this.
  19. Owl1412

Owl1412 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I really don’t think the manga industry is dying. If anything, I think they are probably the most popular format. I personally prefer manga > manhwa > manhua. Too lazy to look up the numbers but millions of physical copies of manga have been sold since they were introduced. I think manhwa and manhua are sold online? I’ve never seen a physical format for them at least.
    Also just my personal opinion but I think manga has the most variety. Not the generic isekai harem but other genres. I do like some manhwa but I have to admit they kind of follow certain tropes as well. In the end, what everyone likes is different

runsing and Fictionaddiction like this.
  20. Kyaaaaaaaaa

Kyaaaaaaaaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I think that Japanese Mangas rule the industry, as well as Chinese Novels. While Korean Manhwas/Novels are the jacks of both trades. This might be biased, but it’s from my experience with all of these in the past 7 years.

lavendidi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.