Help me please

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Anvis, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Anvis

Anvis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to write a novel and have problems can you please help me and this is my problems.

1. English is my second language and I have problems with grammar how do I make my English better

2. What do I do before making a novel, what preparation do I need to do before writing a novel.

Olives likes this.
  2. Bobwillrule

Bobwillrule Supreme Ruler of Bobylon

Reading List:
    Link
    You study, also use grammarly, I use it to check my work for grammar and spelling mistakes.

3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, why write in English? Even if your mother tongue is not popular, the focus should be on getting story on paper. Translation can be done later as part of editing. Just start writing.

4. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Share with us or me after you are done with the first chapter

5. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    Just write.

The thing with learning is that you can just try again, revise, do anything to improve.

Once you feel like you've written to your heart's content, ask someone to help you correct your mistakes. I guarantee there are at least a couple bored college students or office workers on NU willing to help you out.

6. YoriMei

YoriMei (ㆁᴗㆁ✿)

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Honestly studying is probably the only way.
    2. Outline of plot, character list/description/their part in the plot, research about certain subjects if you want to write about said subject.

7. meliori

meliori [in a dark tunnel seeing light from afar]

Reading List:
    Link
    From my experience (not novel exactly but writing in general), you write them first regardless of grammar. It can be edited later. Don't correct them as you go, it'll hinder the juices in your brain from flowing. It takes time, but you'll get better at it eventually the more you write and the more you read.
    You can do it all by yourself using Grammarly or Prowritingaids or some other software, but it'll probably be slower than having someone else to help you correct and explain the errors

8. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Study and read a lot. I'm not talking about translated work (since they often construct their sentences different from how a native speaker would phrase them) but actual english articles and stories.

2. Decide on the plot:
    - Where and when does the story take place?
    - How do you want the story to end?
    - What will happen?
    After that it's time for world building. You don't have to write all the lore in your story (in fact don't), but you have to have at least a few sentences for any named character or place, i.e.:

Name: Marc Merchant
    Lives in: Sky City - Merchant District
    Relations: Father owns the Small Time Business Store
    Hobbies: Watching the Popular Sport Tournament
    Appearances:
    - MC walks into store to buy X, Marc chats with MC about Sport, MC learns about tournament
    - Sees MC winning the tournament and is shocked

9. borer

borer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Well, the answer is quite obvious. You need to learn it. I'm not good at it too.

2) First, it depends if this is web novel or a paper book one. I assume this is a web novel. I'll say in advance. I'm not an author so i'm not a good reference.
    Either you make yourself an website to post your novel or you choose an website that can host your novel (like scribblehub).
    Before starting you need to think about your story. To not stray away from your original story you should make a chronology of events that will take place. Scribble your ideas in short.
    Having one of several proofreaders may be a great help because they can point out your mistakes if your story has an plot hole or isn't coherent.
    Share your novel, advertise it if you can in order to increase the number of your readers. Good Luck.

10. Lazy Bookworm

Lazy Bookworm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, have a plot outline and character design and all those things, but the most important thing is to WRITE EVERY DAY!!!

There are lots of great novel ideas that never got off the ground because the would-be author kept trying to craft the best outline or character background, and never actually started writing.

If you write a page everyday, even if you hate what you wrote, at least you have something to work with. You can re-write or change what you have done, but if you haven't written anything, what can you do?

Also be forgiving with yourself. You're a newbie writer, don't hold yourself to too high of a standard. You'll improve with practice.

11. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    No one can tell you how to succeed, you've got to figure that out on your own.

12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The best way to make your english better is to read novels. And no, not the translated ones unless it is officially translated and edited properly. Cause many poor translations can make your english even worse. Especially MTL.

Otherwise, you can use tools to help. LibreOffice + LanguageTool plugin with ngrams and word2vec is a good option for grammar correction. Do note though not to blindly trust any grammar tool, it simply offers suggestions. You gotta decide for yourself if it reads fine or not.

Another trick is if you are unsure of a phrase, google it. Generally, if you worded it right, it will have many results, especially in other novels that google books picks up. Poor phrasing will have little results.

The biggest preparation you need for a story is actually having a good story to tell and a plot. You don't need to know your entire story before writing it, but you should already plan your major events at the very least.

Oh, and get one of these, don't ask why, trust me it is necessary! For uhm... all the stress!
    [​IMG]

heartantares and Devil Heart like this.
  13. seemanta

seemanta ţɦɛ ʏօʊռɢɛsţ ɮʀѧţ ɨռ ţɦɛ ɦօʊsɛ

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk about the 2nd problem but for the 1st one, read more books. Not just translated webnovels but actual English book written by actual english writers. Non-English books translated by english writers or English books written by non-english writers are a great choice too. They let you understand how to incorporate a culture smoothly in a different language. You should also use a dictionary while writing. It'll help with with synonyms which won't make the writing repeative. You don't have to read the books before starting writing. Read and write at the same time. It'll help you come up new ideas or a better way to describe a certain scene.

ludagad likes this.
  14. Anvis

Anvis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks you for the advice and I really appreciate it :)

15. eric_river

eric_river Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the best thing for an author is experience and time
    screwing up a lot is necessary, not a crime
    write and write and read and read and have a lot of fun
    you'll be pro eventually when all is said and done
    :)

Anvis and Xian Piete like this.
  16. InitialA

InitialA Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend reading 'Invisible Ink' by Brian McDonald
    It's an easy to digest book for beginner writer imo

17. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Get and editor to help you as you write along.

The most important part of writing is some sort of story. If you don’t know what you are going to write, then you won’t be able to write anything. Remember, an idea will only get you so far. If you are going to write, then you need to be willing to sit down and write.

19. Dun Dun Dun

Dun Dun Dun New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tend to try and decide my major plot points a head of time and fill in the details after.

Deleted member 348269 likes this.
  20. YouKnowWhoIAm

YouKnowWhoIAm Member

Reading List:
    Link

1. Use a language you are comfortable with since expressing your story is the most important thing. English is also my second language, i also used it for my written stories.

2. Just imagine. (dunno if it works for everyone) i just let my imagination run and let the characters do in my imagination do. (you'll decide what genre, setup, character you'll have)

Well i just write for my own satisfaction and enjoyment so i dont mind the technicalities in writing (it help me a lot to enjoy my own works).