Discussion Why do people like obsessive Ml‘s?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CardOne4All, Sep 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. CardOne4All

CardOne4All Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As stated above, why do people like obsessive mls not the mild ones, I mean those who actually threaten the Mc with „I’m gonna lock you up so that you’re never gonna see the light of the day again“ they are just so fucking weird. And the comments on such chapters are also weird:
    -unknown
    OMG, him threatening her is so HOOOT:blobnosebleed:
    -anon
    I also want to be threatened by him​

and after seeing such comments I really started thinking, „people are fucking weird“

Ps: I know that the posz might have ended abruptly but I really need soooo, I wish you all some wonderful dreams and good night

phonebinder, Nimroth and Owl Escapee like this.
  2. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Obsession makes their heart pound…? :sweating_profusely:

Owl Escapee and Smilingly like this.
  3. lazyfujo

lazyfujo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe because you subconsciously know that they care a lot lot lot for the FL and that level of care will never exist for you?

Nency likes this.
  4. Dizaster

Dizaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novels are a world of fantasy, an outlet for people to imagine what they dare not think irl. Yes I love obsessive ML but I can draw a line between an obsessed ML and a psychotic.
    What I look in them are the kind that loves them so much that they're unwilling to part with them a.k.a clingy, have a filter that sorts out their shortcomings a.k.a enchanted and are willing to put away unnecessary pride and be willing to have a sincere and wholehearted relationship with her a.k.a devoted. But that just might be my definition of obsession and possessiveness is not a negative emotion till it crosses the boundaries of humanity. I am a person who can't handle any kind of mental, emotional or physical abuse so that's definitely a big no-no for me. Otherwise a bit of consented play which is harmless is okay. But I don't advocated men should indulge the wrongdoings of their better half. Letting them be wilful doesn't mean you hand her a knife when she want to kill but rather give her an outlet to vent out their emotions and being patient with them when they are being moody.
    I love the kind of helpless ' but she's my wife can only pet her' kinda vibe.
    Also this goes both ways, I enjoy wife petting and obsessing over husbands too.
    Here's a funny excerpt from a novel who's name I don't remember:
    "In fact, getting along with each other also requires a bit of skill."

"What trick?"

"Come on and listen!"

The two approached immediately, curious, and once again spoke in unison.

"This is a good test in life. It treats all kinds of upsets and anxieties. You listen!" Chu Qingyan grinned, and then said playfully with the beat.

"When your child makes you angry, please calm down and meditate:

biological! biological! biological!

Follow me! Follow me! Follow me!

When your husband makes you angry, please calm down and meditate:

I chose it! I chose it! I chose it!

Deserve it! Deserve it! Deserve it!

If your friend makes you angry, please calm down and meditate:

I paid it! I paid it! I paid it!

blindness! blindness! blindness!

When your wife makes you angry, you calm down and meditate:

I love her! I love her! I love her!

Used to! Used to! Used to!

Attitude determines mood. "

Smilingly likes this.
  5. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know. It puzzles me as well.
    It's like, sometimes I read short BL smut manga, and there's always a warning when rape comes up. And then come three kinds of people:
    1. People who act outraged because there was rape and that's the worst thing ever and the author should be shamed for creating this, and all of us readers should gouge our eyes out and they can not understand how translation teams promote works like this etc...
    2. People who write comments like: Why is MC so unhappy, I would kill to be raped by ML (no you would not, da heck??), lewd compliments about how cool ML is, asking to be kidnapped by ML, praising ML for being romantic (???), saying that MC&ML go so well together (???) etc...
    3. Normal people who want ML to suffer, this bad episode to be over quickly, are crying, make commentary about the characters' mindsets, feelings and all that jazz, the structure of the story and so on, say things like "why is this so hot damnit", basically like or dislike rape but don't frame it as a sin to even mention/ the most romantic thing ever because THAT'S ^$*%@<=ù£ WEIRD!!!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Owl Escapee likes this.
  6. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do people like anything, really?
    People like over-the-top shit, it's amusing. Hell, I'll be lying if I said I didn't like this shit a bit

7. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Um…I don’t know. It kinda feels good to see a ml who is in SO much love that he won’t let her get away no matter what. What I don’t like though, is if the fl acts weak about it, says stuff like how can he do this, but then also melt into a puddle when the ml approaches her. Pick a side! If the ml is possessive then the fl should LIKE that. Unless they’re supposed to be enemies or something

Owl Escapee likes this.
  8. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno what to tell you. I don't like that.

Well done lovey dovey couples are a weakness though. Like Yeti and Raptor Wife Life ln.

9. mahina

mahina Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People have a lot of fantasies they wouldn’t necessarily want to experience in real life.

10. Owl1412

Owl1412 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe paraphilia? I’m actually pretty certain that they would hate that kind of person in RL but since it’s all fiction, heavily romanticized stuff like yanderes, little black house, might interest them. As for me, I can read about noncon/dubcon tropes but there’s a sense of disconnect due to how crazy and obviously fictional it all is

11. eskarleh

eskarleh i'm tired

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhhh tbh I only like it when it's a mutual possession between the ML and MC. It being mutual just makes it better because they're so obsessed with one another that they don't want a third party to be present and interfere with their relationship, and it's healthier in my opinion than just having one party being obsessed/possessive.

...but from my interactions with others some like it because they want to be "claimed" by someone which ig reading possessive MLs helps them achieve that fantasy, or they just like the idea of the ML showing their upmost love to the MC to the point where it's an obsession which shows how deeply enamored they are with the MC.

Sometimes it can get too much tho and very toxic and disgusting to read especially if the MC doesn't fuck with it. If written right and it's mutual shit tickles my heart.

DewDropsOnMellons and Baldingere like this.
  12. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't personally. It's creepy if ML isn't handsome, it's hot if he is handsome, the double standard.

phonebinder and Smilingly like this.
  13. Emilyl

Emilyl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's cause he won't cheat

Pipi1989, Rumby and Baldingere like this.
  14. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    I just know how to separate fiction and real life. I love possessive, obsessive, cold, psycho male leads. Oh my my you know those fan arts of Childe with a psycho expression and also Scaramouche with the same expression. They make my heart throb. I guess I love them because I know they will not come out of the book and if they come out of the book, they will not choose to obsess about me.

15. Owl Escapee

Owl Escapee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with these, people like to read about extreme versions of things cuz they are fictional. I've seen a lot of people say I enjoy this ML but I would absolutely hate him if he were a real person.

I put it under the header of "don't like, don't read." I hate yanderes, but I will read dubcon/noncon, which someone else might hate.

DewDropsOnMellons likes this.
  16. animestar411

animestar411 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im my opinion its compensation.those who are lonely want some kind of comfort from others. They tend to compensate it woth food hence in most novels the lonely MC are eating cause it bring them comfort and a sense of physical fulfillment since they can not find comfort in the abstrat form of emotions such as love and care. So when there are obsessive ML they are willing to fall down to that whole because for once in their life there was someone who is not ignoring them

17. galigege

galigege New Member

Reading List:
    Link
  18. grass_is_tasty

grass_is_tasty Grass is more than just weed.

Reading List:
    Link
    It's because they double as a horror villain and love interest. People get more thrill out of reading a romance horror combo than reading a normal romance. Normal MLs may be sweet but they can't give you fear induced butterflies in your stomach like obsessive MLs can.

The people who like obsessive MLs aren't weird, they just really like being scared and horny at the same time.

Baldingere likes this.
  19. Owl Escapee

Owl Escapee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, you may be on to something. That extra hit of adrenaline may make the dopamine and oxytocin* hit different~
    (*Or whatever it is, I'm not actually a neurologist, I just play one on fandom internet :blob_coffee:)

20. Hoodychan

Hoodychan Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's an interesting question... Maybe they think it's a good personality twist?
    Personally I like slightly obsessive leads if their obsession is out of love (not the psycho kind of obsession where they hurt the other person).
    I think it's romantic if the obsession is out of loyalty (i.e., the lead won't even look at anyone else because they are obsessed with their loved one).