Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I understand, Too Late and Expelled are two different tags.

2. leprosus

leprosus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe yes, you're right, There are many expulsión novels having revenge and not 'too late' , maybe "karma retribución" is the most equivalent to the "too late" in normie lenguage Code.

But at least It would be a nice idea to add the 'expelled protagonist' tag :)

3. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Unforgiving Protagonist? Or is that too close to Vengeful?

4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    rather than about protag avenging or not, it is like it is too late even to ask for forgiveness. like, either the protag has already done the deed or gone beyond their reach. I am assuming that current story trend is to use this mechanic in some way(?) to further the plot.

5. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Unforgiving doesn't necessarily imply any revenge, but I hadn't considered secondary characters not even being able to ask for forgiveness...

Secondary Characters' Regret? That's probably still too general...

6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. In fact, the more important question is when should this tag be used? Like, the event is ok. But what about the consequences? Tags based on events are used based on the importance of those events to the greater plot.

7. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There was a tag accepted just a few pages ago. If anyone can present evidence it's a substantial tag with its own definitions that doesn't conflict with existing tags, and even list out existing novels that would use them, with others also supporting the request then it's accepted.

As long as it's not a ridiculous request and the parties are too stubborn to accept outsider's point of views, I'm not adverse to them. Of course it's best when the requests are done without much bias. I sure don't want a tag request dripping with feminism or crass words. Yes, there has been requests like that. I'm allergic to rude, so they can appeal to someone else instead.

Blitz, UnGrave and AliceShiki like this.
  8. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo,

I believe there is an unnecessary overlap currently between definition of cross-dressing (a tag) and gender bender (a genre)
    https://www.novelupdates.com/genre/gender-bender/
    https://www.novelupdates.com/stag/cross-dressing/
    I do not think gender bender should include "Girls dressing up as guys, guys dressing up as girls." this part. Not only does Gender bender not mean that at all, it is firmly what crossdressing is in the first place ~

Also on a secondary note, over on shf https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/does-gender-bender-tag-apply-to-this.6540/#post-161223
    there was discussion on "Entity with a gender - > entity without gender and vice versa" counts under gender bender.

I believe it does as that is what the intent is behind the genre. Updating the definition to make it clear should help with it.

Then again stuff like https://www.novelupdates.com/series/tensei-shitara-slime-datta-ken-ln/ arent tagged gender bender so idk.

As such depending on whether we agree on the shf thing we should update the definition of gender bender to,
    • "Guys turning into girls, girls turning into guys."
    • "Guys turning into girls, girls turning into guys and other such transformations."

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  9. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, so while I haven't read any gender bender novels (that I can remember), my understanding of its use in mangas back in the day was that it was applied when MC's crossdressing was a major/main part of the story. For example male MC getting a scholarship to an all-female school.

Crossdressing tag, IMO, could be applied if this happened occasionally / was part of a story arc and not one of the series' main concepts.

Ddraig likes this.
  10. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess you mean stuff like Maria+Holic, which tbf has the char crossdressed for 99% of the screentime.

Thing is I mean crossdressing plays a pretty major part in stories like Date A Live and is basically in like every other volume of Baka to test but I dont think anyone here is gonna argue that they can even remotely be considered to be Gender Bender. Another such example I can think of is Bu Sha (but I dont really remember the contents >.>)

I think the ones you are referencing might be stuff like Assassination Classroom but like thing is other than having a super androgynous char, it honestly has no real difference compared to DAL or Baka to Test.

Stuff like Kampfer & Ending Chronicle (temp physical change) and all the gender change isekais (permanent change) on the other hand falls properly into gender bender and not crossdressing.

More than though, and this is my personal preference, but I enjoy mc crossdressing, it makes for hilarious situations that I dont mind in almost any novels. Gender bender on the other hand is something I only want when I am specifically looking for it.

As such I kinda think it is better to have stuff like Maria+Holic as an exception than have the definition include so many stories that would otherwise never qualify for gender bender.

Also I guess there is the physical vs just clothes difference

11. leprosus

leprosus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to request the 'expelled protagonist' tag. It would be extremelly useful to identify all the expelled themed novels (those are legión now, expecially among japanese novels) and there are no way to identify those novels right now.

It might be useful to indicate when a protagonist is expelled from a party, guild, kingdom or wathever and it's easy to understand for eveybody

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    UnGrave likes this.
  12. Skepto

Skepto Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Corruption The slow, gradual subversion of the foundation, purity, or innocence of a person, place, or governing body. This tag is NOT to be used if said thing is ALREADY corrupt.

I use the words slow and gradual because I feel that the tag could be overused otherwise, and because corruption is almost always a slow process. I stressed on it not being used for already corrupt things because corrupt nobles are prevalent in almost every fantasy story. It's a seriously over-used cliché, honestly.

13. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Ireally really like the concept of this tag. I haven't checked through the current tag list yet to cross reference, but the basic idea of an innocent protagonist who shifts to the grey/dark end of the spectrum by the end of the series is such an awesome setting. However, I think that the definition should include something about sexual intent as well. I think it is a common troupe in H series to have such a thing as a result of sadomasochism or whatever, and that is different. But would love to hear more thoughts from others, and a crossref with existing tags.

14. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    Both are essentially are the same thing. good -> evil/corrupted/sexual freak/giving into pleasure etc.
    The sexual ones can be differentiated by all of the sexual tags + r18 tag.

15. Timberwind

Timberwind New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know where to report to have tags removed. I kinda hate that a novel I've completely read has a "Rape" tag when the MC and the people directly around him are not/have not been involved. It is alluded to in the novel, but by someone we've met 2 times total. Very annoying. Btw, novel is Tsuki Ga Michibiku - and the person was Tomoki.

16. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    You can directly remove it from the edit tags feature?

Calahan likes this.
  17. Novel Monster

Novel Monster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The definition for "Transmigration" is not correct in my opinion. Transmigration not necessarily involve crossing to another world, it only means that once someone dies their soul doesn't go into the cycle of reincarnation (birth→life→death→rebirth) and starts to inhibit someone else's body.

At the same time there are two similar tags that I noticed "Tragic Past" and "Past Trauma". In my opinion a trauma in the past is part of a tragic past.

I also noticed a tag "Futuristic Setting". Is this tag not unnecessary? I mean we have the genre "Sci-fi".
    There's also "Fantasy World". When a story already has the "Fantasy" this tag becomes pretty unnecessary in my opinion.
    The tag "Obsessive Love" is the same as the "Yandere" too.
    The tag "Mythical Beasts" is seems to be referring to the protagonist, so shouldn't that be changed into "Mythical Beast Protagonist"?

These are all the things that I managed to notice.

18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Tragic Past just means that the protagonist has a tragic backstory.

Past Trauma means that the protagonist has an actual trauma that actively troubles them.

They aren't mutually exclusive, but they're different.
    A novel can have the Fantasy genre if it's a Modern World story with Magical Powers.

Fantasy World actively implies that you're in a fantastic world. It's different.
    Most tags that refer to monsters and animals in general are supposed to be used on stories whose protagonists fit into those descriptions, but that's not really how they're used... >.>

It's probably best to just leave those as is.

Ral likes this.
  19. Ravelord

Ravelord Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have small complain about "Sword Wielder" tag - does it even make sense to include novels where MC simply uses sword? Isn't sword kinda "default" weapon which most novels MC use at some point? For example: Overgeared, LoHP, MGA, CD - from what i know about those(not much actually), "sword wielder" tag doesn't really represent anything aside from "oh, mc happens to use a sword".
    If somebody wants to read proper sword-focused novel ... good luck finding one in there.

20. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    the tag was meant for mc that primarily uses sword as their means of combat, for example Chaotic Sword God, Sword Art Online, The Failed Swordsman Who Became the Strongest After Spamming the 100 Million Years Button, just to name a few.

the issue is people also tag novels that mc happens to be proficient at using sword (as much as he/she did everything else). if you feels some of them was inappropriately tagged, feel free to remove them.