Discussion Excel is stressful... Help...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Miku, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm stressed because I have to trace the referred cell in the formula, go to the first/second column where the description exists, and look for the next formula. Considering it is multiple sheets that goes to 200-300, I am stressed of getting around in excel. Any tips?

I wish my team can just use python, R, stata, or any other languages. Something more descriptive than sending me to cell B2 after sending me to cell B108 or something. It's stressful going up and down like this. Is there any way to navigate better?

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell them you can't excel with Excel. :blobhero:

In my most recent brush with Excel, I just had to add up nos. in cells, but luckily the cells I had to consider had a fixed recurring pattern of being uniformly three cells apart, so instead of selecting them individually each time, I just went like "=C2+C5+C8..." in the formula bar.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  3. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Excel has a basic programming language. If you know any other programming language, it shouldn't take all too long to learn it and use it, maybe a few hours. That should allow you to do what you need, if you're figure it out

Edit: said programming language is actually just macros but yeah, shouldn't take all too much effort if you already know programming

4. Sushi rice

Sushi rice Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    it's not that... it's reading someone else's excel. God... I wish for excel to give us ability to label their columns and rows.

6. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it is VBA and something tells me you are better of using python to generate all the excel formulas

I understand that python/r/etc is forbidden but cant you use it to sort of generate your excel sheet with formulas filled in? At the very least having proper variables than random cells will solve a lot of bs you are facing. Then again you will have to mark all cells in proper variables first so idk.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62915308/adding-formulas-to-excel-spreadsheet-using-python
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39195957/write-formula-to-excel-with-python
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51348874/save-pandas-dataframes-with-formulas-to-xlsx-files Heck I guess you just straight up use pandas too...

You can store the cell addresses as variables and abuse fstrings or something, at the end an excel sheet is generated with formulas so I think it shouldnt interfere with your team... maybe... >.> Good luck <.<

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  7. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    like I've said above... it's the matter of readability. my team done everything in excel. so... what you see as C6, or C102 in its formula is just... what does that mean?

8. suncust

suncust I love all fluffy things! ~

Reading List:
    Link
    There should be a function under formula tabs or something that let's u trace precedent and dependents

9. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    and? it's rather tricky to make a representative name for all of them. a time series data where the column is time, and row is variable name. maybe I'll learn vba to name them all lol.

11. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pretty difficult to mess up excel. If they've given you spaghetti code, it's pretty obvious that they shouldn't have been using excel in the first place.

I'm wondering if the easiest way to get around it is to program a c# console application to read the file for you.

12. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    That is why you should use LibreOffice Calc! It can not only code in VBA, but python, BeanShell and javascript.

13. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    You can name a range. and use =INDEX(weirdRangeName, 5) to use it as an array

And that is just a transposed sheet, isnt it? It should make no real difference

14. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Excel is the best programming language

15. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    excel? code? not really spaghetti code. no code involved except in formula.

at this point maybe I'll just load it as a dataframe in python/R. less hassle for me.

16. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Look up YouTube guides?