Spoiler The Devil Who Breaks My Neck

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Rin.rinaaa, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Shitai

Shitai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope someone picks this up again. It is a pity to read before the ML sees the consequences of his action...

MightyDragoon453 likes this.
  2. MightyDragoon453

MightyDragoon453 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I kind of hope it has a bittersweet end for Herace at least, she lost her son, but I hope she would find some peace after all of this and start anew, but for all that Ezekial done, hurt and abused Herace directly, well the real question is does he and would he continue to suffer a karmic retribution?

Almost forgot to mention the other parallel to Jason and Medea.

Jason died under the ruins of the Argonaut, a ruin of his only monumental achievement.

The most monumental steps Ezekial takes in this novel seems to be making Herace suffer for her "supposed infidelity". Never mind the fact he is inflicting the harm onto her 100 fold and he himself is commiting adultery on her, not to mention, refusing to let her go, even after enough should've been enough.

If Ezekial continues to suffer the curse of not being able to touch (or look) at Herace, well after all he died such as rape, confinement, abuse and practically torture, it feels rights for him the feel immense pain if he even touches her again. Him cursed with the knowledge of what he done, ruining his own family and Herace continuing to have a new life for herself.

That would be beautifully Karmic.

3. Deleted member 282232

Deleted member 282232 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I came across this novel weeks ago. I'm quite an avid reader of ansgt.
    But to be honest, this novel looked so :bloborz: to me that I didn't wanted to continue.

Tbh, i forgot most of the spoilers I learned about it but for one thing I'm sure, ML is absolutely hateful.

This man, just cause he saw her talking with her friend he automatically accused her of cheating/ infidelity.

This man, he has ZERO excuses for his behaviour. He is worst, that ML from abandoned Empress and Lucio combined can't beat him, not to forget, including that ML from there were times I wish you were dead.

FL would've been much better in confinement tbh.

Yeah, you're quite right. As far as I remember, I read something about the child is due to his pact with devil or something. Guys I'm not sure and I maybe wrong so please don't take it as spoilers. Also after the matter was finally solved, he kicked out Charlotte, I think he sold her or something.

The viewers were critical of the ML until the end, as they should've been.

I don't wanna read this novel for myself, but still wanna know the plot. Somebody with a good mental health, please read this novel and spoil for me cause I'm cute.

•BESTI enjoyed it, but it might have been better if Herais died ㅠㅠ Namjoo has to live with regrets and weeping, but is it really a good life for Herais to lose her memory and live with a child?

•BESTI'd rather not say that I've been mentally manipulated by the devil, but if you're just looking at that and shuddering, it's trash that can't be recycled. I'd rather get angry and criticize on the spot, so I'm going to hurt them the same way, and I'm going to start the riot... If it ended with just a hug, I'm so mad at the bullshit that I would have brought the government and only insulted me. You ruined your life, you fell into a sense of inferiority, you cheated on your wife, forced your child away, slapped you on the cheek, treated you like a prostitute saying it's your job to spread your legs, flogged your one and only friend to death, put shackles on your feet I stuffed him up and locked him in a room, threatened to take him hostage and raped him. Even if he was encouraged by his suspicions, he crossed the line that it was because of a misunderstanding. Even if I try to clear up the misunderstanding, I fall into certainty by myself, and if I just talk about it, I go crazy...

•The scene where Herais is cheating on is a fake created when the devil signs a contract with the man. Maybe it is a false memory or something? The affair scene in the race is like a fake memory created by the devil.

•It's up to you to judge... It's a sad ending. Can it be called a bad ending? It feels like Hereace is happy in hell. Cookies aren't a waste of money, but it's a work of great likes and dislikes. The author expressed the existence of a 'devil' in a very real way, but this is a difficult subject in a way... I read it and read what is this? I read it while But thanks to the author's writing skills, it seems that I understood and passed on this much... But in conclusion, Izkael... is general garbage?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2021
  4. -NEAR-

-NEAR- ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ

Reading List:
    Link
    Dare I say the ML from On the Emperor’s Lap is even better than him? All these ML’s are trash but at least they had their reasons, but this ML just saw her with another man and ran with it:blobunsure::facepalm:

Like him with the devil just shows that he’s weak and let his insecurities or whatever he’s got going on control him. As @/lembayung said, if the Devil wasn’t there, he would have most likely believed other people instead. It would be so easy for other people to be third parties and to ruin their marriage bc he doesn’t trust and have faith in his wife (FL) at all.

5. MightyDragoon453

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh it's more of a pick your poison. They are both dogshit. I think though, Ezekial does slightly edges it out with his actions against the FL, by actively making her suffer and causing her immense trauma. Slightly.

Don't get me wrong I hate Kiris's guts and he is the biggest dick I had ever seen in fiction, but at least he gave a semi shit about his actions with Bella and regretted them somewhat, and it was satisfying to see how much Bella hated his ass and despite that he did try to heal Bella. And that he tries somewhat to do well for his kingdom with the no corruption stuff. The sad thing his initial ambition was pretty noble. But then Bella kisses him and everything goes soooooo downhill. I think he was more trying to get away from his feelings, and his ways of doing that were.....Dogshit. But they weren't married and were teenagers. Kiris made a really fucking dumb mistake, he never should've been able to take back. Especially since he knew Bella greatest wish was to be Free. In that case Bella deserved a better fucking friend. And that story should've gone a more rebellious route.

Ignoring all the sold your best friend into slavery for a castle and power, killed said best friend only confidant, Red (SHE DESERVED BETTER), when she refused to give away her location, implied rape and refusing to acknowledge why she hates your ass. His abuse was more indirect, he was just complicit in a lot of what happened. Still a fucking prick.

Ezekial was married to Herace, he should've trusted or communicated with her about his insecurities but the fact he never did, shows how weak that marriage really was. It also goes to show you what kind of person he really was, everyone already said it but holy shit if it was just some rumours, dude would be jerked around like a puppet. That marriage was doomed.

He could've just divorced her or even if he wanted to briefly pay her back have a slight affair, or do something like the Herace did, which was literally just a hug. But NOOOOooooo. He had to go the distance in making her suffer. For no other reason but petty revenge. He had to rape and abuse her, slap and harass her, confine her, kill her best friend and tortured them. And when she finally ditched his ass, he chased after them, used her (and his technically) son as a hostage, not giving a damn about said son's safety and threatens to confine her and not let her even see her kid for years unless she submit to him. which she refuses.

Then when the son dies and Herace has enough and tries to die too. And NOW he finally fucking realises how much he fucking goofed. Like no shit sherlock.

But at least with this story, the fucking ML might face worthwhile long-lasting consequences for his actions UNLIKE KIRIS WHO KEEPS TRYING TO JUSTIFY HIS SHIT!

6. Deleted member 282232

Reading List:
    Link
    Guys this Female Lead, I'm sorry to say... she's I do pity her yes but at the same time I'm frustrated with her. I just can't understand her character, no matter what defence I try to find her for being this dumb, like she literally wanted Ezkeil to hug her child when she knew he could literally kill the baby from the way he was acting.

Anyway, I do agree with this user's comment -

(lis2****)
    Heh... is it just me? The female lead is too incompetent... Even with children and her husband's betrayal and violence, she just cries... There is no reversal, and she has no intention of revenge. At the same time, she gets dragged into the dark fights around her, and she can't even respond to her husband's abusive language... If the male character is an obsessive bad guy, the female is just a pretty face and no ability, and she's afraid of what will happen to her and eats what the male gives. At this point, isn't it enough to try to run away at least once or to give up on the male lead and become sober?

Also to not made my comments into an argument, these thoughts are just made on bits and pieces that I've read. It may or may not change. If you got any defence for the FL, I'll be glad to hear what it is, you may be right.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

7. tabularasa7

tabularasa7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    She does run away. Actually, the translation team quit translating right before she does, and I think she's able to hide for a few years before the ML finds her again. And when he does find her, she constantly tells him that she wants nothing to do with him until he uses her child to threaten her.

Actually, the chapter right after the translation was dropped has a pretty funny scene during the 100 day celebration where the mistress is harassing Herace, making Herace give Miguel congratulations and well wishes, which Herace does. But then Charlotte is like, "what that's it?" and starts heckling her some more and Herace has someone bring out a jewelry box, inside which is a really fancy necklace of the Duke's crest made out of rare diamonds, which Charlotte is smitten with. But it's a punch in Ezekiel's face because he went through considerable expense to have that made for Herace as a token of his love, so when she gives it away, he's like, "Why did you do that? I had that made for you!" And she's like, "That's why I should give it away, because the first born child of the Duke should have it." (She basically gives his super sentimental gift away, which makes him VERY uneasy - he's kind of starting to realize that she doesn't love him anymore). She escapes that night with her maid (at some point there's this old fisherman who helps her across the lake, and then it's later revealed that he's a ghost of a man who basically did the exact same things that Ezekiel does, and he spends his afterlife in regret - basically it was a warning to Ezekiel of what would happen to him if he didn't change (which he ignores)).

I did read the last few chapters:

At some point, the demon child convinces Herace that she should forget about Erzen and he uses his magic to make her think HE'S her child (the demon is becoming obsessed with her too, and that's why he arranged to Erzen to die, basically). They live like a happy family for a while but then something happens (didn't read this part) and next thing I know is that Ezekiel is trying to kill some Crown Prince from somewhere, and Herace, having remembered everything, sneaks up on him to stab him in the back. Ezekiel realizes she remembers everything, and tries to talk to her but the demon intervenes and teleports Herace to the morgue where Erzen is. She decides that she should be with her son and convinces the demon to send her to the lake because all it wants is for Ezekiel to live in misery (there's a lot of backstory with Ezekiel's mom being some kind of witch who was abandoned by Ezekiel's dad, but she loved Ezekiel. The demon was like her child or something but was forgotten when Ezekiel was born, so it always resented him. But it lived with Ezekiel for so long that Ezekiel's obsession with Herace was transferred to it). So it sends her but then when Ezekiel comes it says it regrets it, because she's going to die. When Ezekiel gets there, Herace (with Erzen's body) has already swum into the lake, and Ezekiel gets help from the Ghost Fisherman to boat out to where she is, where he pulls her out, but she's already gone. Ezekiel then tries to hang himself but the demon stops him, saying it can bring her back. Ezekiel offers his life if it can bring back both Herace and Erzen but it says it can only bring one of them back, so Ezekiel has to choose. Ezekiel of course chooses Herace, (what he doesn't know is that the demon would have just left if Ezekiel had chosen Erzen because it doesn't care about the boy). The demon makes Ezekiel sacrifice a stone, his left hand and left eye to bring Herace back (which he does), but that his hands will feel like they're melting when they touch her, his eyes will hurt to look at her, his ears will hurt when he hears her voice, when she touches him, his skin will freeze like ice.

At the very end of the story, we find that Herace was brought back, totally amnesiac. Ezekiel endures the pain when they're together (he lies to her telling her he's ticklish or something when he flinches). At some point, Herace tells him she knows she loves him and then asks if they are married did they ever have children? (Big cringe from Ezekiel). Later, Herace has a dream of a bluebird, that turns into a little boy that looks like her (she thinks its a nightmare), and the boy tells her he'll be there soon. She eventually finds out it was a conception dream, and she'll be having a child.

She tells Ezekiel the child's name is Erzen.

So yeah, he doesn't die.

torte1315, Mi shiru, sovokop and 31 others like this.
  8. Deleted member 282232

Reading List:
    Link
    bruhh he's like madly obsessed with her.
    He would always remain in pain but still wanted to be with her. Also he's extremely selfish. As a reader, I'm extremely unsatisfied with the ending. No hate to author though, it's her story, she can weave it however she wants to. She writes well, I hope her next story will be much better than this.

So it's Erzen himself, rebirth?

9. MightyDragoon453

Reading List:
    Link

I got a defense for her.

She's an abuse victim and survivor in a really shitty situation and marriage. She is much weaker than him, and he holds significant power over her as her husband and Duke, in a feudal time and place. I can infer culturally divorce isn't really an option or she might not be able to get it, without her husband's permission, which he is definitely NOT going to do and I don't know what marital rape laws are on the table, so she can't exactly walk away and get a lawyer now can she. And that shit in court can be quite public and strenuous on her even more so. Scandalous after all.

She is also raped and abused throughout and even the biggest step she takes in trying to leave it all behind her still gets her caught and found in the end. She is also pregnant I believe for a bit of it. So I can infer heavily from that she has depression and trauma from that at least. It makes sense why she wouldn't and couldn't really do much.

Even still. She did try. She tried to leave with her kid and it still wasn't enough. She tried to die only she was brought back. She keeps getting trapped by Ezekial, even when she tries to have some autonomy it never ends well for her.

It also doesn't Ezekial exerts immense power over her using their own kid as a hostage to either have her give him a "real kid with his blood" or stay in a room for 3 years without contact. She is willing to endure that. But due to her husband's neglect and scheming from the Demon Kid and Mistress, her kid died.

It also doesn't help she probably loves him deep down. It's a toxic tragic romantic relationship and while she knows he is dangerous she also remembers what he was like before. And her kid is still his son, of course, she wants her son's father to love him. There is a lot of reasons people stay in abusive relationships and since she can't simply get a restraining order and stay away from him completely she's fucked. Literally and figuratively.

What else can she do?

Fight. No point he would win. He fought in a battle and she is not a trained fighter. Plus she's pregnant for a good portion of it.
    Run. She tried that, when all other options were exhausted. he used their son as a hostage to get to her. And when she tried to resist, her son died, leading to....
    Die. She tried that. He just brought her back.

Cry. She can do that, she can't do much else I'm afraid in her position.

And yeah not going to lie I WISH Herace just straight up left for a new life for herself. But hey you can't have everything I suppose. A shame.
    And damn, I knew he was obsessed with her but to endure all that to be with her is.....DAMN. I'm not very satisfied with the ending with them still being together. But I'm ecstatic he's suffering just being with her, this is literally a toxic relationship. Seriously that is a LITERAL METAPHOR!

Ezekial can't look, touch or even hear Herace that he previously abused and raped, without being in immense pain or... Hell the feeling lthat his hands are melting if he touches her says it all....Oh, the wonderful karma that is there at the very least..

He is suffering just being with her. Just as she did with him before. Poetic Justice. And sadly a book end.

Guess it was a Tragedy from start to finish huh.

10. Toasty_Minzy

Toasty_Minzy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh my god this just pissed me off even more! So the piece of shit STILL gets his happy ending? The only downside is the pain, which it seems he can obviously handle, but he even has the NERVE to touch her and impregnate her again after all the pain he caused her?? FUCK THIS! Seriously. She suffered from beginning to end and I don't count her amnesia as a saving grace for her either. Imagine a rape victim conveniently forgeting her trauma only to end up with her obsessive scum of an abuser again. How exactly is that considered even remotely a decent ending? This author needs help of the highest order.

11. -NEAR-

-NEAR- ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ

Reading List:
    Link
    I completely take this back:bloborz: damnit:blob_catflip: The ending and ML’s suffering isn’t satisfying at all. I don’t count his suffering as a befitting punishment bc he obviously doesn’t give a f*ck about it as long as he gets FL so he still gets his way in the end. His worst punishment is not being with the FL, but NOPE. FL’s amnesia is just convenient on ML’s part. Sometimes we can say it’s better to forget all the bad stuff or some sh*t, but this isn’t it. Another victim ending up with their abuser. I’m just gonna imagine that in the future, FL does get her memory back and it all goes to sh*t for him again.

torte1315, JoAnna, Blue_C06 and 8 others like this.
  12. Deleted member 282232

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I mean this man got what he wanted. After destroying her mentally and physically. Not to forget assaulting her.
    Killing her child and shaming her for a crime she never committed.
    Killing her best friend and snatching her of every little thing that was left for her.

He still got to be together with her.
    What a shame!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2021
  13. tabularasa7

tabularasa7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what's heavily implied.

Oh yeah. He will never let her go. He regretted Erzen's death a lot when he found out the kid was actually his son, but refused to contemplate suicide because Herace would be left alone, and he couldn't stand the thought of that. He also murdered his brother to have her, and made a deal with a demon to live so that he could return to her, then made another deal with that same demon to revive her so that he didn't have to live without her (he would have killed himself if he couldn't bring her back). He hunted her for years to try and bring her back after she ran away. When he found out she ran away, he immediately went searching for her (the mistress was elated, but every time the mistress crossed one of his lines (like basically threatening to wh*re out Herace when she became the Duchess), he would threaten to kill the mistress), and when he found the horse that Herace ran away on, he cut it's head off in anger (no joke). He's crazy about her - literally.

14. MightyDragoon453

Reading List:
    Link
    Like the Universe, well the Demon itself is showing to Ezekial how toxic that relationship really is by inflicting that bargain onto him and even that is not enough to deter him from even acknowledging its for the best they part ways, nope. He stays. He learned nothing. Even that small nugget of Karma is tainted I must admit.

He really is like Faust. I'm pretty sure in some versions, Marlowe's I believe, Mestophilles outright warned him what he was getting into, as he was a demon, suggesting the existence of God and even still he jumped onto it.

And yeah the memory loss thing really does feel like a cop-out for her to stay with him. God knows because she would've and did finally had enough of his shit. If she went somewhere else, started a new life somewhere, maybe met with someone new, someone who treated her well and was she was happy with. that would've been more satisfying.

Imagine. She is living her best life and he is alone and filled with regrets.
    Would've made it worth it.

Especially with his reaction to it, after all Ezekial did to Herace and Erzen and even with that karmic punishment, more really should've been done to make him suffer. But he never would've let her go. He already killed so many people to stay with her, even his own brother. *Sigh*

Seriously, the real question is how did he even manage to get her pregnant again after the curse?

Also does anyone have in any in detail stuff about his suffering throughout the novel or the exact moment he realised how much he effed up, in more detail, the small nuggets of karma he does recieve, no matter how small it is because seriously I need this asshole to suffer.

15. KindapitiedMielle

KindapitiedMielle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I noticed you talked about the ML from abandoned empress so I'll say what I want.
    Let's stop comparing Ruve to whatever trashy male leads there are because other idiotic people are doing so :blobexpressionless:

The Ruve that was the male lead had nothing to do with his previous life, considering in that life he was poisoned for losing to the point of losing his very sanity. Ruveliss in the Manhwa time line is the best option after Carrot ml, and he never once did anything to hurt the FL at all, I mean willing to give up the literal throne that he worked so hard to handle one day is a most admirable feat when Arista didn't even show him much affection, (and he even respected that after she completely denied his proposal) which is one of the reasons that after years of recovery she decided to look at him in a different light and understand that he was not anything like the man she knew:blobpitch: (and I hated at the beginning)

The Main Ruve can't be compared at all to these abusive, r*pist, and disgusting ass male leads because it's so f-ing demeaning to him especially when compared to that thing called Ijekeil :blobcat_hyper:

16. Deleted member 282232

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm...then let's change it into the male lead of There were times I wish you were dead, what's say?

What more saddening is, that there's no proper karma for him in the end, he still gets the girl. The curse of devil, which was if he listen or touch MC he will feel pain is inferior to the pain of her being away for him cause he can stand being burnt by her being close to him, but not her being away from him. This man still got the girl....and a child from her.
    Disgusting!

17. lembayung

lembayung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You forgetting the fact in the 2nd TL, just after Aristia reborn when she goes to the Imperial palace, and the PM praises her about the luxury tax policy, and Ruve gave her a death glare, and Aristia thinking 'What ever I did wrong to you, why do you look at me like you want to kill me', and that happened before he got poisoned my dear, his hatred got nothing to do with the poison, it's due to the people around them keep comparing him with Aristia, and the Emperor and Empress loved and favor Aristia more than him. Then in the 2nd TL, when the Duke declared that Aristia mother is a commoner, Ruve said this to his aide 'I always thought the reason why everyone loved Aristia more than me cause of her noble ancestry unlike me, if I was the same child I used to be, after knowing that she has a commoner mother, it's obvious how I'm gonna act, I would very much became just like the Ruve in Aristia dreams (in Allen letter)'. The only reason Ruve changed is because Aristia want to broke the engagement, only then he see her in different light and tried to get to know her, that she is not some power hungry crazy cold-blooded bitch, if not, the same thing would happened again, basically he got the potential.

I don't see any difference between Ruve and Ijekiel. For Ruve, the underlying cause is his hatred, inferiority, and zero faith for Aristia, the Duke who whispered lies and feed him poison act as the trigger, at best the poison only make him more violence, even without the poison at play, it's very likely that he would mistreated Aristia every time Jieun come crying to him just like any misunderstanding trope novel out there, heck he even believed the word of a random servant. If the poison make him losing his very sanity, how come he only acted that way toward Aristia alone and how come he realized that after Aristia death that she is the one who always there for him and then began to compare Jieun with Aristia. For Ijekiel, the underlying cause is his insecurity, inferiority, and zero faith for Herace, the Devil who whispered lies and distorted his memory act as the trigger, even without the devil at play, every time there is some kind of misunderstanding, he would act the same.

18. KindapitiedMielle

Reading List:
    Link
    Unfortunately, you're not the one I replied to to begin with. The commenter I replied to agreed to my comment to a certain extent to change it to another trashy ml. If you consider Ruve and Ijekeil the same then I have no hopes for you, as if a glare is akin to ra*ing, assaulting, abusing a person both mentally and physically for years and keeping them away from even their own child, and bringing them back from the dead to only torture them further.

Ruve might've been jealous of Aristia as a child but it makes perfect sense considering she was the center of basically everyone's attention and received the love of even his own parents. He was jealous of her and Duke Jenna was the one who kept telling him those lies and showing him affection whilst poisoning him :blobcat_hyper:

With Ijekeil, the whole thing was that the Devil was never telling him blatant lies, just putting seeds of doubt in his mind.

If Ijekeil was innocent from the beginning, he wouldn't have given in to his doubts, also, the major difference with Ijekeil is that he was full grown ass man :blob_thor:and Ruve was a literal child when he was told these things and generally children are more vulnerable to nonsense which is the whole ass reason there are things like Islamophobia, homophobia, Xenophobia and else :hmm:

Nonetheless :blobpensive: this argument wasn't for you so

19. lembayung

lembayung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I mean is the 1st TL Ruve. Isn't Raping, Abusing a person both mentally and physically, Indirectly killed their own child and wife also the thing that he did? I only mentioned the 2nd TL Ruve to clarify that the poison isn't the only thing to blame, that he got the potential to be cruel, that his jealousy and hatred are there even without the poison, the by product of his childhood, just like Ijekiel insecurity and inferiority stemmed from growing up as an illegitimate child. I'm not considering Ruve and Ijekiel as the same person based on their degree of crime, is in the literal sense of how 1st TL Ruve is just as shitty as any other shitty ML cause he treat innocent person like shit because of the great misunderstanding B.S and his unfortunate childhood or trauma whatever just an excuse (AGAIN).

Personally I don't care what the excuse is, once they commit the deed, they just as guilty, but ain't it funny, that some people justified one over another based on his childhood circumstances when all these shitty ML (Ruve, Lucio, Achilleon, Ijekiel and more) are illegitimate son who grew up under their own circumstances that shape the way they are. And it's even more ironic that some people blamed the FL from (Abandoned Empress, He was Kind if I stopped, I Don't Want to be Loved).for creating the misunderstanding, with that same logic it could also apply to Herace to then.

20. KindapitiedMielle

Reading List:
    Link
    Then why did you reply to me though? Because the first TL Ruve isn't the Ml :hmm: Tia did not end up with him in that life so he's not a shitty ml because he's not the ml in that TL to begin with.

Plus I clearly mentioned that this time line's Ruve is not shitty at all and I'm not talking about the previous one so did you just reply to me to start a fight or a debate or something :blobconfused:

It's okay though, I get your point in a sense