Movie Shang-Chi

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Viola, Sep 5, 2021.

?

If you seen it. Did you like it.

1. Masterpiece

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Good

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  3. Meh

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Burning Trash Pile

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    So, after months of being on the internet and hearing about how sub-par this was going to be and how riddled with issues everyone thought or heard it was going to have... I just watched it and...

Had a really good time. I really loved this movie.
    Now why talk here... spoilers ahead.
    Eastern styled dragons duking it out. Lots of creatures of Eastern mythology that got shown.... I mean when Shang Chi went to the other universe it felt like I jumped into a wuxia novel brought to the screen with a huge budget. It looked great, had the right feel. It was awesome. Sick martial arts. Enlightenment. Finding your true self and inner peace.

If you like the wuxia or xianxia scene in this community. You will love the 2nd half of this movie. The first half wasn't even bad, it was good. But the 2nd... as someone who enjoys that kind of lore.... I think anyone here will aswell.

2. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't have time to watch movies lately nor was I in the mood to, maybe, I will give it a try some other day, but I did hear/watch some people reviews about it, like this one XD

3. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    sad that we cant aired them in the cinema here coz of covid..

4. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I were snarky, I would ask "Why are they making a movie about a waiter?" lol. :p
    Chinese names tend to have meanings beyond their mouth sounds and it's kind of funny to see Marvel/Hollywood really, really dropping the ball on this by calling him "Serve the dishes!" :ROFLMAO:

5. Kyaaaaaaaaa

Kyaaaaaaaaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure abt the movie since I haven't watched it, but the album is a masterpiece. Legit had all my favorite artists on it and also introduced more popular but not main stream Asian artists to me.

MarshmallowAddiction and Viola like this.
  6. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    I watched it and I enjoyed it. In fact, I'll probably watch it again with some friends when it moves to streaming. I don't know if it was the best film in the MCU but it was very good and as long as you don't nitpick lore and casting choices, I think most people will enjoy it.

Viola likes this.
  7. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't watch any new Marvel or Disney movies and I'll stick to it. I still voted meh on it.
    Out of curiousity I watched what Critical Drinker had to say on the movie and it was pretty much what I expected, meh.
    I'll watch a couple more of his reviews but I'm thinking of unsubscribing, even though I agree with his opinions and deconstructing, he is becoming predictable and negative. Crap on Marvel, crap on Disney, ok I get it, why bother watching anymore? Give me some good recs instead

8. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    I find after awhile most reviewers on YouTube get sucked into their own world and can't really appreciate anything that breaks the mold.
    Chris stuckman.
    Critical drinker.
    Mr Sunday
    Especially angry Joe
    Even jeremy jahns

I've just given up on YouTube reviewers cause after a short time you know what they will say just about the whole film just from what kind of movie it is.

It would have been a meh to good movie for me but the 2nd half really just scratched an itch for books that I love but haven't seen adequately portrayed in film before... that just shot it right up for me.

I'll give Marvel movies a chance along as they aren't overtly overly political.
    As for Disney. Won't ever pay for it. Otherways to watch it... sure... without paying.

As for the drinker... I'd unsubscribe. As in I already have.
    The only people I still watch are mauler and wolf... and that's mainly because they really get analytical and deep in their reviews. It covers the predictability.

MarshmallowAddiction and Jojo775 like this.
  9. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Disney owns Marvel now, yeah it totally became big evil corp that ruins franchises and milks money. It owns Lucas Film and Pixar and who knows what else? Half of Hollywood?
    I think Iron Man 2 (2010) would be the first MCU movie under Disney regime.

To be fair it'd be difficult for Drinker and these others I don't know about(I thought all critics are inflated morons before I saw Drinker on my front page) to change into reviewing a good drama or something. The subs would just turn into unsubs.
    People are being molded into passive watchers of Netflix flashy shows, not flashy = not interesting.
    Not like I don't have a short attention span or care about what government does or watch dramas lol, but I know what's being done.

People don't care if the plot or physics or logic doesn't make sense, "you're not supposed to think deeply into it, it's just a movie!".
    Well I question questionable stuff and it bugs me when it's not right, not that I'm good at catching details at all so when someone like Drinker points it out to me I appreciate it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    MarshmallowAddiction and Viola like this.
  10. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    You should watch Mauler. They review in podcast format but approach with fun, yes but also a fine tooth comb. They care about the details and consistency.
    Drinker is in the same vein but like we said.

I think Marvel still has some level of autonomy under Kevin feige. Though he gives more way every day... The influence and hand of Disney is still there but muted. I5 isn't like they Disney movies like Mulan or films considered wholly Disney. Everyone one of those is made with an agenda... and it isn't making money and being enjoyable lol.
    Even starwars is pretty much fully Disney cause Kathleen is 100% on board the politics side of it.

Jojo775 likes this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually quite loved it, Especially since I lost interest in marvel stuff after endgame.
    All the martial art scenes and fights were beautifully done. The wuxia and later fantasy elements really scratched an itch of a long time novel reader.The soundtrack was a bop and the main cast was great too.

Rin.rinaaa, LordCorwin and Viola like this.
  12. tekinwillie

tekinwillie TEKING

Reading List:
    Link
    Just watched it recently. It was between meh and good. Honestly thought the village would be stronger since the mother was only a gatekeeper, this is probably just from my reading of chinese stuff here on NU. Didn't really care much for the protagonist in terms of being a protagonist, it felt like he was being dragged along the story while the antagonist was pretty awesome. Did not like the ten rings, felt pretty weak for being on the title and that the protagonist immediately is able to use it as soon as he gets it, partially even before he gets it. Only part that I found bull is the guy being in jail, I know that it was told on a short but it felt a bit deus machina.

MarshmallowAddiction and kkgoh like this.
  13. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Movie got really lame in the 2nd half, complete with crappy reasoning for the father-son fight, lousy CGI and super-lame village battle.

Tony Leung (father Wu Wen) carried the entire show, I almost forgot who the MC was supposed to be.
    They should just make a prequel starring Tony Leung and the mother (Fala Chen), just ditch Simu Liu and Awkwafina. The latter couple was just there for ABC/American audiences.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    tekinwillie likes this.
  14. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    Well since this movie is never going to be shown in China I think it fair to argue everything in it is there for ABC/American Audiences lol.

But fair point, Tony Leung was the shining star. Even though I think more should have been done with his he character he did great.

Simu Liu. Meh, didn't love or hate. Did the action scenes well though.
    I've never been a fan of Awkwafina, I was really surprised she got cast here, very surprised.

kkgoh likes this.
  15. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They probably wanted Awkwafina to play the perceived stereotypical ABC girl just for laughs. Loud, crass, confused :rolleyes:
    Why'd they ban it in China though? Sure the original comic was racist, but at least this movie was miles ahead of Mulan (the animated movie).

Jojo775 likes this.
  16. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it had something to do with the directors support of Hong Kong. But I could very well be wrong.

kkgoh likes this.
  17. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude what? This guy was expressional and charasmatic as a brick.
    I don't hate Awkwafina but I think it'd be better with a nice Chinese girl. Poor Shang Chi if he's going to date a girl like her, she's funny and not bad looking but that raspy voice...is she a chain smoker?

It finally came to HD so I watched it, I give it 7.3/10.

Viola likes this.
  18. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    This is how I know movie is actually meh when I wasn't sure is it meh or good.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2022
  19. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    How's that check?

20. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Coz lily has poor standards, it means you take 2 or 3 off her ratings. Shang Chi is 7/10, ok movie but not worth rewatching.