Recommendations Beautifully written danmei/bl novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Undying Winter, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Undying Winter

Undying Winter ❅ Avid Enjoyer of Trash ❅

Reading List:
    Link
    By 'beautifully written' I mean a novel that has memorable lines
    Thousand Autumns:
    When people are suffering,
    the nature resonates with such pain,
    for plants too are alive and have spirits,
    whereas the universe remains immortal for it is unfeeling.

Peerless Immortal Surrounded by Demonic Disciples:
    He was like a qin string sharp enough to break skin that was currently soaked through with the blood of his player.

Wu Chang Jie:
    He would never raise flowers again. The day the orchid garden was destroyed, he thought, perhaps he didn't deserve those delicate and beautiful things, and the long painful ordeal that followed had completely destroyed his heart that yearned for anything beautiful.

Living to Suffer:
    His entire life had been but a prelude to three things—a summer shower, a glimpse of inky reeds, and one man. For that man’s earnest gaze to find him, for his hand to reach towards him, and for the wheels of destiny to fall into place.

And/or the author does a great job at explaining the atmosphere in detail
    Record of the Missing Sect Master:
    Water lilies were planted in the lake, and carps were cavorting within, inspiring people’s envy at their carefree play.

Like a cup of warm tea on a cold winter’s night, with one sip, the warmth spreads throughout the body, softly and gently embracing the spirit

Mistakenly Saving the Villain:
    A breeze blew through the forest, shaking the dew from the trees.
    The dew fell on his fair fingertips, bringing a slightly cool sensation.

Wu Chang Jie:
    There was no wind, but the thin willow branches swayed gently, like silk, hair, satin, and catkins. Wisps of ghosts seemed to live in each twig. The sad cries of ghosts came from the forest from time to time, undulating among the willow leaves like butterflies carelessly bumping into the dense forest unable to find their way out.

I don't care if it's short or long, fast or slow, modern or historical, serious or fluffy, completely drama-free or brimming with face-slapping, cliché or weird as heck, full of car rides or censored til it can be read out loud in a shrine, it only needs to be pleasing to read.

I know, I can just try the other works from the authors whose novels I've listed above—but they either have too many works to choose from or not enough works that interest me, I also don't actually like all the novels I used as examples, and I didn't wanted to miss an opportunity to discover something new so I decided to ask for recommendations here.

Thanks in advance! ♡

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Nyaa.23 likes this.
  2. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's not limited to danmei /chinese BL
    No 7.
    The whole story is written beautifully

3. milafii

milafii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Brother. It makes you question the moral bounderies of people and if you're sensitive to the topic like incest, you better not read it. But it's written so good. There's a lot of sensibilities on the writing and the translation is topnotch as well. I think that if the romance part is not added, the book will be even more excellent.

4. Undying Winter

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh thanks a lot! I really appreciate your recommendation and reply. Although I'm indeed not fond of incest, your description of this novel assured me that it's worth reading nevertheless. I'll give it a try since it sounds really interesting. ^^

milafii likes this.
  5. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, it's me making typo. It's supposed to be no 6

6. Shaereads

Shaereads Member

Reading List:
    Link
    milafii likes this.
  7. Undying Winter

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! I'll give them a try.

Woa I checked it out after reading your reply and I think I'm in love with this novel already. The detailed and unique world setting seems exactly my type.

Shaereads and Shio like this.
  8. milafii

milafii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Little Mushroom is my all-time fave apocalypse novel. Well-written. I'm waiting for a better translation for Banished to Another World. The first translation is more like MTL. It's a territory I failed to cross.

Shaereads likes this.