Question Tell me

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by No Idea Stupid Brat, Sep 8, 2021.

1. No Idea Stupid Brat

No Idea Stupid Brat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    2 questions for you!!!!!

1 - Where can i start to learn chinese, can any of you guys tell some Tricks, or exercises i can do to start learning? I would be very obliged

2 - Should i learn the LN or the WN of Over Lord

2. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
  3. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Learning a language is a lot of work and requires a large time commitment. If you want to learn to read Chinese just for novels sure go ahead, but it'll take a year to or two. Otherwise just MTL.

Do you want to learn simplified or traditional?
    Simplified is more mainland China and singapore, where as traditional is Hong Kong and Taiwan. I'd start by memorizing words, don't just memorize characters because characters are put together to create words. Then you don't really know what it says. You'll only know the meaning of a single character.

New Practical Chinese Reader and Integrated Chinese are often recommended. Also pleco.
    Contemporary Course in Chinese is good for traditional. Finally YouTube has a lot of resources.

4. KurouDaijuji

KurouDaijuji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    #2: Starting to learn a foreign language by reading something that was translated into that language is probably only a good idea if you're fluent in the original & have it to compare...

Owl Escapee likes this.
  5. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You've got two advantages that I didn't have when learning Chinese. Easy access to material that you want to read. And the ability to copy and paste the words you don't know into a dictionary. You still need some lessons in the basics but you can pick it up quicker with much less work.

Just don't use the dictionary like a crutch. If you find a word you've seen before but don't remember offhand, try like 10 seconds to recall it before calling for a hint. You won't learn otherwise.

Owl Escapee and Grey_Angel like this.
  6. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    For learning chinese definitely and I mean definitely don’t use MTL from novels that aren’t edited at all as the translations are sometimes off by a lot and it will mess you up. You should start with learning pinyin (also known as pronunciation) which should be in grade 1 chinese book. Learning pinyin makes it better for you when you are typing stuff and it helps you along the way of writing chinese.

For apps, you can use dingo or almost anything as long as it helps you stay motivated to learn. You can definitely use google translate or some sort of translation app to help you along the way to know how to pronounce things, how the pinyin is written, how the word is written, and how you can use it in a sentence.

A tip I have is to just learn the basics. All of the other words are made using the basic words combined, so as long as you know the basics you are basically set to go.

Best of luck with your journey to learning Chinese!

Owl Escapee likes this.
  7. No Idea Stupid Brat

No Idea Stupid Brat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, but like, what shoould i do to lern, just read them and try to recall them later...? I am really stupid so i don't think my memoryis goin tohelp me much

8. Owl Escapee

Owl Escapee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Memorizing is what learning a new language is............... There are a lot of different tactics to memorize vocabulary, you have to find the ones that work best for you. Googling https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+memorize+foreign+language+vocabulary can give you lots of different things to try. This page looks very useful to me: https://www.theintrepidguide.com/memory-hacks-how-to-memorize-vocabulary-faster/

9. powwder

powwder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    find someone who knows Chinese and become friends with them. There are also a lot of Chinese people who want to learn English so you can meet up and kind of teach each other.

this works for all languages and is the easiest way to learn (from what I’ve heard from my friends that speak other languages).