Movie The Last Samurai

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Jojo775, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems everytime I watch this there is a dust storm in my room, I had to use an entire packet of tissues.
    The photographer, could he be the very first weeb?
    Movie has a good rating but I was expecting it to be a bit higher still, then the ninja attacked...yeah that was a bit cheap.

This commercial uses a scene from the movie that is dubbed? I don't think this is an additional scene with the same actor.

anotherAniket likes this.
  2. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    the movie was about the Satsuma General, and Hollywood made it about a imaginary gaijin Tom Cruise....

3. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    welp I didn't say I agreed with the white saviour thing
    btw I can understand why Hollywood did it, Tom Cruise alone brought a lot of viewers and if it was original with a JP MC, well then in the unenlightened era of 2003 normies wouldn't watch a mostly Japanese movie.

next I'll be watching 300, man's romance, I expect a lot of dust in the room to get in my eyes again, gotta buy more tissues.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  4. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I watched it as a kid. Don't remember much but I know that it's based on true events. Obviously, they're bit fictionalized for the movie but mostly true. There was a white savior albeit French, not an American.

The irony is that while white people criticised the movie for being historically inaccurate and being another 'white savior' movie; the Japanese' loved it. It was a box office hit. The Last Samurai grossed more in Japan than anywhere else, made almost ¼th of the total worldwide collection. Japan even has a 'Tom Cruise Day' (October 10th iirc).

Jojo775 likes this.
  5. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not surprised, Japanese aren't into SJW nonsense I think. It's like black people in US now wondering why are whities making up racism where there is none(in movies).7

Tom Cruise day :ROFLMAO: isn't he a scientologist wacko IRL
    Reminds me of adolescent me, Steven Seagal's the boss(coz I watched his movies as a kid and trained Aikido), then I found out he's a crackhead IRL

6. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True that.
    Yeah. Though I never bothered looking up what scientology actually means. Fk I fell asleep halfway typing this. Bye.

7. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot but I think it's a ridiculous religious cult(hah classic 'murica), they think they receive space energy? and scam people for money.

anotherAniket likes this.
  8. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find the film pretty entertaining and cool. The white savior stuff isn't a problem in this film or any of its ilk aside from its necessity. However, I still have major problems with the story. And most of this stems from the fact that the film is a lie. Not so much in the sense that it's not historically accurate or anything like that, but more that it lies about what the samurai are, and that it perpetuates the bad myths about them. It's not a good look for a work with the word "samurai" in the title. Still, Watanabe Ken is amazing in this film so I'll still watch it every so often.

9. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you mean it perpetuates bad myths about them? The movie shows Americans and greedy Japanese officials as the bad guys and Samurai as the good guys.

10. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    The samurai in the film are depicted as noble warriors who eschew modern weapons in favor of their traditional katana, and who would rather die than surrender. It's the popular view of what the samurai are; and pretty much all of this are lies. Specifically it's a lie that was made up as propaganda; as a way for Westerners to see Japan.

11. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuck this movie
    The entire aspect of the movie is good until the wife of the dead samurai suddenly fall in love with her husband killer
    It is such a moodkiller

12. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Then what were the samurai like really? To me it's not surprising that they would rather die, didn't a bunch of people, mostly ladies commit suicide after Japan lost WWII because they were expecting the same treatment as their soldiers were giving to others(comfort camps)?

13. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on what period of time you're talking about because the samurai changed a lot over the course of history. By the time of the Satsuma Rebellion, which is when "the Last Samurai" is supposed to be set, the samurai had gone for centuries without seeing much war any more and they had to relearn what being samurai was again. Now, the Satsuma rebels really were very much traditionalists, but they were also highly pragmatic and they would arm themselves with the best firearms they could find. Yeah, the samurai loved firearms and would use them all the time. Somehow the film completely forgot about this.

That's less a samurai thing and more a crazy thing. As above, the samurai tended to be pretty pragmatic and they would surrender, run away, or switch sides just like any other soldiers would.

Jojo775 likes this.