Rewatching anime and feeling the cringe

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by HyperiousTheSun, Sep 11, 2021.

?

Do you feel cringe after not watching anime for a while?

1. yes

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. no

22 vote(s)
    55.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HyperiousTheSun

HyperiousTheSun Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I have not watched anime for about 2 to 3 years about the time when I started taking up more duties at work and uni got complicated.
    Back to the main issue here, I don't know why but I feel cringe when I rewatch certain animes and I feel as though I cant watch it after a few minutes into it. Its like I just feel the cringe.
    So does anyone else feel the same way?

ForeLeave Clover likes this.
  2. AbrarMalik

AbrarMalik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well cuz either you matured or you had (used to) questionable taste towards anime

Jojo775, Milanin and meliori like this.
  3. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't watched anime for 3 years. I just read manga and wns now.

TXHY likes this.
  4. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    I still like the old stuff I used to watch. Basically only one series per year is any actual good to me to be rewatchable for the ages. maybe less maybe more. Novels are sort of supreme for me these days because those are updated more frequently. If I finish the series, I may not need to watch the anime. Some series are good enough to warrant me watching even after the fact.

ForeLeave Clover likes this.
  5. HyperiousTheSun

HyperiousTheSun Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still reading novel, light novels and manga and watching childish cartoons with my nephew so I don't actually think its just the mature thing.
    Watching new animes I have not seen is fine but rewatches is the big killer.

6. eskarleh

eskarleh i'm tired

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on what I'm watching but I've stopped watching anime and opted for reading mangas instead. I can't help but cringe at the MCs typical actions in shounen whenever it's animated. I haven't watched anime in 4-5 years and I haven't been able to get back into them since my attention span isn't as good as it used to be.

7. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    One big reason I really don't like anime is cause for whatever reason there's like only 10 voice actors total in the whole anime industry, and they don't ever change their voices either.

After watching one anime you've probably heard over half the voice actors you'll hear in every other anime as well, and different characters sounding exactly the same is just extremely jarring.

Honestly I'm not even sure it can be called voice acting since they use the same voices every time...

8. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    My guess is what you watch is chuunibyou-themed anime, now what you seeing is just like watching your dark past being unveiled

9. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I watch select genre. So I don't know what this cringe you feel is like.

I usually like action, adventure, Sci fi, fantasy, mystery, martial arts etc

Romance comedy are sometimes within the genre that I watch, but not the main part of it. I do have exception for romance anime for example I like https://myanimelist.net/anime/14289/sukitte_ii_na_yo .
    It is one of my favorite romance anime and I don't watch many.

[​IMG]

10. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    I just recently watch One Piece again after stopping when I was in uni. Glad to say that I enjoyed every moments with the latest episodes. Wano Arc is amazing

11. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only shows I managed to avoid cringe when going back to is Detective Conan and One Piece.

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    this cat used to like watch magical girl aka mahou shoujo anime
    when rewatch some rather than cringe it feel more dark past resurrection......
    CG3_SD05b.jpg

13. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    you probably think the characters are now childish and stupid as compared to the past when you felt that they were heroes

14. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't feel cringe rewatching Psycho-Pass. I'm still hoping for a new season and hopefully romance between Akane and Kougami

ijaycobjay likes this.
  15. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hah? After stopping?
    Anime is either cringe, super cringe or wholesome with some being confusing.

I have rewatched some after a long hiatus from the anime having felt that the cringe was too much only to return and remember everything I had watched just by episode 2.
    In those cases I would weigh whether I am interested in the plot enough or if it's just too cringe and abandon it until I forget the story and stumble across it again.

16. Alixiron

Alixiron Demon King

Reading List:
    Link
    I felt kinda cringe after watching an anime I remember really liking ages ago that was full of friendship power and justice and all that crap but normally I don't feel that much cringe. Then again I guess it was directed towards kids so there's also that factor for me not liking it now.

17. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    No... maybe you're not a real f-f-a... Anyway! It's not common to feel like that!

18. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really.

I'm not really a watcher of anime though. I like to listen on yuki kajiura's works as well as some other composers. Anime gives the sounds context for later listening.

So... if I just be critical on the anime, I won't be able to watch them. With still frames, high and low in animation quality, odd point of view to cut animation costs, there are a lot to be desired honestly. But I come for the music and storytelling.

19. bkjohnsen

bkjohnsen Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only cringe when I accidently stumble upon dubbed anime... other than that, there's nothing there I haven't seen in-depth before XD

20. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime would've to had been excellent for me to rewatch it, so I doubt I'd "feel cringe".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.