Discussion WTF USA

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jojo775, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Mr. Tired, Wing0 and Slayerwolfx2 like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The bigger problem is how categorization seems to matter at all...

3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people don't like being pigeonholed, yet some others simply dive right in and pigeonhole themselves.

4. NoLongerTheSame

NoLongerTheSame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, why can't we all just treat each other like we all came from the same origin - the first humans from Ethiopia or at least natural science says so. I(Asian) will be like "Yo, we all came from Africa.", and the listener(any other skin color) will be like"Yeah, brother, we do.".

Mr. Tired likes this.
  5. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Ignorance, you can make a video like this within any country but they won't be this bad

Eh to be fair, when I think about elementary and high school classmates...out of 25, I wouldn't bet on 6 of them to know where Africa is but they could probably point out a few countries and maybe one or two continents lol

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  7. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought every schooled person in the world could name Australia. Or India, it has such a distinct shape. Especially Americans, do they not know about other english speaking countries? How could they not even know where England is!

8. RainMorga

RainMorga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ununited Segregationists of America

Nightow1 and Wing0 like this.
  9. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Well stereotype is stereotype, as I said ask and show how dumb people are can be done in any country. For example my country is I dunno 80% catholic, yet when people were asked on the street what does Christmas celebrate or who were the 3 kings, they gave the most ridiculous answers, even I, an atheist know those...just basic culture.

10. Joospinch

Joospinch Don't click my avatar!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    The american attempt at labelling people goes horribly wrong when applied to internationals

Wing0 and Deleted member 348269 like this.
  11. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand why it exists but I still found this one funny. There's a ton of city names in the US that I 100% don't know how to properly pronounce too.

12. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I am confucion as well, makes me wanna punch her. Was this the goal of the video?

13. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is f*cking hilarious :LOL:

14. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    ..whoa

I think people mention they also cherrypick some of those people to put in the video so its much exaggerated.

Thu tbh, i feel like its not that hard. I am not great in academics but at least I won't mistake the US and not that bad on geography as the ones in the video.

As for race in US, yeah. Its up on news a lot. Esp. With racial tensions. Stats that come out often categorize which group doing better, which is struggling more, etc.

Funny enough, that times I got asked a question that kinda wanted to pinpoint whether i was born here or from somewhere else was asked more often by other asian americans, who in general, do not like that question that much...only one time was non asian american, but they asked an asian american classmate to ask me that.

I think in america people just want to know whats your cultural ethnicity/heritage etc. But many americans have a funny way of asking it. There's a lot of ignorance, and when you have too much ignorance then it becomes unbearably stupid and in some cases bit toxic...

That and I don't think we focus a lot of education esp things like geography or history around the world. My world history was basically 17th europe and how it effected america and how america came to be. Eurocentric. One of few to know england was an island in hs, althu i only learned that while research for stuff.

Also feels like we kinda take education for granted, while other places/past generations it would be nice to even be able get that opportunity.

15. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Er... just for reference sake, 3 kings? Or is it a reference to "Magi from the East"? Hard to tell without the context.

16. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    They're the same thing, Melkior, Balthazar and Gaspar, fun fact, one of them was black.

17. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    What about the U.S.??

18. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The average American is stupid enough to believe any lie they are told by the mainstream media, about foreign countries.
    This makes it easier for politicians to get support for wars, rebellions, & assassinations in foreign countries.

19. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m talking about the people trying to point out countries on a world map, not about how deeply they question things.

20. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't question things. you don't remember things...