Discussion What do you feel after finishing a novel that spans around 500+ chapters?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by NinjapowerMS, Sep 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. NinjapowerMS

NinjapowerMS Local man ruins everything

Reading List:
    Link
    You know those moments when you realized you jumped into a rabbit hole and start to read those CN novel. Reading these novels could take you days or even weeks just trying to finish it. Just finished Nine yang sword saint and honestly I feel lost in life considering I have been reading something for a long period of time and that day to day habit just suddenly ends. A bit pissed off too since these novels aren't perfect and CN bravado can really make you scratch your head sometimes.

What novels are you currently reading or recently finished? Would you recommend it?
    I don't recommend mine lol

eetsome likes this.
  2. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    sad

WFNT, Blank-1 and idlereader like this.
  3. salam

salam Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read so much crap the last 5 years, I came up with a philosophy:

Different Settings, Same Principle.

Almost 75 ~ 85% of CN out there follows this thought. Some are more well written than others, but still (-_-)
    Of the novels I found honestly acceptable would be the ones written by I Eat Tomatoes like Coiling Dragon, Desolate Era and
    Stellar Transformations or Er Gen's I Shall Seal The Heavens. Other novels I read are SUPER repetitive that I took a break or stopped reading altogether like Dragon Prince Yuan or Dragon Marked War God or Lord of All Realms

Usually, you can tell the novel's repetition from the next arc.

Windsley likes this.
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Incredulous; I don't usually last that long. :blobwoah:

5. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    i never dropped in the CN shithole. Never liked cultivation or those with over the top outrageous settings.

its always been sad having to finish the novels and theres no new ones with decent translation or decent storyline.

6. inactive_rose

inactive_rose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Empty or accomplished

7. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    This novel should have ended 300 chapters ago.

My patience runs very thin

WFNT likes this.
  8. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I consider 500 chapters to be lightweight honestly. Even novels with 1k to 1.5k are not enough for me. Of course, I don't read your average trash cultivation novels. I only read the above average ones.

9. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing... After that long chapter, my tension about this type of novel been down to low that cant make me feel nothing. 90% of Chinese novel that been this long been abandon, 9.99% feel nothing and just read for fill my reading time and 0.01% on hold for the more translation been translate.

10. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But sad and annoyed. Being a part of my routine so long makes it somewhat cherished to read and now its gone.

Annoyance is that I now need something new to fill the gap, but its not getting replaced because finding something that would at least equally entertain me will take time and frustration by digging through a veritable sea of shit.

I got recs, yeah.

MTL- Sword, Magic and Taxi (MC goes into Pathfinder Druid because a passenger taking his taxi for a dimensional ride makes MC now a part time dimensional taxi driver and who would be willing to not take a shot at fantasy powers + some personal reasons).

Ethan's Fantasy Drift- basic premise shows itself immediately, dude also happens to need to sail to areas with spacetime energy to travel to different worlds (his "class" is mage and it all started because he was gifted a spell to condense drinkable water or he would have died too early for interesting stuff to happen. His "main" world is a bunch of seas arranged in circles and with harsher terrain the farther you sail with some magic stone tech to buff Pirates of Caribbean style ships enough to get through said areas).

Started with Lord of The Rings - dude ends up as random human guard on the run from his town because chief guard found out he slept with his wife and sent some colleagues to kill MC. MC has a system (makes it MC gets to be a LoTR style great warrior, no cultivation or taking on armies singlehandedly however) that gets him less power stronger he gets. Its still on LoTR 180 chapters in after clearing movie style Hobbit and LoTR time is just here. It did a fast one on me because as with other chinese author takes, it looked like the idiot would write a MC "conquering" Sauron's One Ring with willpower (for chinese webnovel authors who seem to jerk off to gods and humans being entirely different species even in cultivation verses where humans can level up into gods, authors writing schlock like the aforementioned idea are quick to neglect Sauron's will in the ring is divine/devilish and cunning, 'cept Tom Bombadil it fucks with everyone's mind, Hobbits last longer because of purity of heart and simple nature, not just willpower left untapped living in Shire and it already has a precedent of breaking notoriously strong headed figures and even Hobbits like Smeagol and his friend) and then it almost got him to kill a friend just by seeing it and getting bewitched and his waunted "willpower" only got him to wake up because it was enhanced several times through his system before he could fire off the arrow.

Except for that bait and switch, SwLoTR is okay so far.

Tl dr Rec 1 Druid.
    Rec 2 Mage
    Rec 3 Archer/Fighter (he has to be, no unlimited arrows)

11. xnvesha.14

xnvesha.14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually don't even start novels that long. I have only read a few novels which are 500+. I tend to take a break from novels with 200+ chapters. They just stay in my tabs and I switch between 2-3 novels. Also, in the morning, the first thing I usually read are updates on novels that I bookmarked and are still being translated. Sometimes I even go to catch up on manga.

Kaylee likes this.
  12. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Words of a true Daoist :blobjoy:

13. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Sleepy. I remember finishing Coiling Dragon in late night.

14. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember finishing a few novels, while there are some I simply dread the end of. I felt really empty when I finished reading a couple of them. For others I smiled knowing that there was some kind of closure. There were also some sad ones that had a lasting impact on me.
    For eg: there was this manga called Ichigo 100%, I will never forget this line(rough translation) towards the end chapters, describing the main couple's standpoint - "We were both looking forward, but we weren't seeing the same scenery."

I have probably finished more mangas than novels. Chinese novels, I haven't finished many, because they tend to drag on, and the last few 100 chapters are too much of a drag to read. Korean ones usually have a funny ending or pseudo endings that hint towards a new beginning. JP's are well, a full closure, most of the time. Mushoku tensei, for example,
    The MC dies of old age, and meets the villain one last time, but no longer hates him, since it's no longer his concern after death.

PS: some of the most heart breaking endings actually come from the animes that I have finished watching. Darker than Black, Aldnoah Zero, Guilty crown, Gurren Lagann, and the list goes on.

Gitami likes this.
  15. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    2Ha!! It made me cry so much QAQ
    And it's pretty long, but I don't regret anything!

16. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Assuming we're talking about Chinese novels, it's an empty or annoyed feeling, because the ending has always been the worst part of the novels I've read that took that long. Or rather, each novel of that type reaches its peak within the first 100 chapters or so, then just gets worse and worse and then the author abruptly ends it like a shonen manga that got axed.

17. Owl Escapee

Owl Escapee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How do I feel? Where's the next rabbit hole! :blobjoy:

xnvesha.14 likes this.
  18. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I see, you are a man of culture as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2021
  19. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually feel bad because the endings of long novels are almost always unsatisfying and rushed, so I don't read most of the endings unless it's a published novel, now. Heck, I usually get too tired of the contrived nonsense and drop the novels before the end.

I do like me some 'happily ever', but even though the melancholy is a bit rough, the open ended 'adventures still await' one is the best. They probably mostly suck at endings because they are only good at filler, lol.

If I find myself just sitting there thinking about the ending, even though I'm sad it's a job well done. If I'm just annoyed and angry then it's job botched 0/10 immersion ruined I regret ever reading this trash I want my emotional investment back.

20. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's 500+ chapters and I haven't dropped it, it means the novel is super-good, so I feel despair.