LCD Napoleon in 1812

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by prongsjiisan, Sep 7, 2021.

1. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, novel president Napoleon even said he never got to touch the real British army

Btw, is this thread not linked to the novel yet? Its not showing up on nu recent novel discussions

prongsjiisan likes this.
  2. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is implausible because it entirely suits the Russian strategy if Napoleon was to retreat. Kutuzov knew full well that Napoleon's army was far stronger than his own so he constantly retreated himself. He would never attack because it wouldn't serve his interests at all. Hell, he didn't even want to fight at Borodino; he just had no choice because Alexander I forced him into it!

Russia's sheer size is a key component of why it was so dangerous. But that's a key feature of Russia to begin with, so why would you dismiss this?

But none of this amounted to significantly weakening France. A Navy can have a very effect but this effect depends on a lot of different factors. And most of these factors were in Napoleon's favor hence why he only grew stronger as the blockade went on.

It's all a matter of what the strategic position of a country is. France during the Napoleonic Era very was particularly threatened from the sea. They had access to all of Europe and indeed controlled most of it through its allies. But it makes no sense to compare that to the situation of other countries in other time periods.

EDIT: Now if your point was that Britain was the most difficult opponent for Napoleon to deal with, I'd heartily agree with you. France's strengths were not well suited towards hurting an island Power with Naval superiority and Napoleon never found a good solution for them. However, being difficult to deal with is a very different thing from being an existential, and Britain was never on that level.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    prongsjiisan likes this.
  3. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Bill: This, Napoleon dude, is the world’s biggest underground parking garage.
    Ted: Bill, read the sign. It says “Chunnel”. What’s a “Chunnel”?
    Napoleon: ‘Cest magnifique! A tunnel across the English Channel! Ah, I would have loved this in my time…:aww::aww::aww:

prongsjiisan and Alvilda like this.
  4. Alvilda

Alvilda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Being French doesn't mean I know everything haha
    But I agree with you, after the Russian Campaign people used to say that it was the Generals January and February (or General Winter) that truly defeated Napoleon instead of the Russian army.

You're right about Kutuzov and your point is explained in the novel as well, however it doesn't happen like this for several reasons (that I won't say if you haven't read the novel because I don't want to spoil it). Maybe you'll find them unjustifiable or not plausible, but the author chose this approach to write this alternate history.

You were initially talking about France's biggest rival, and I can't agree to put Russia in that spot, but I understand your different points. I don't think the French ever considered the Russians like this, but we still don't like the English nowadays :blobsweat_2:

prongsjiisan and userunfriendly like this.
  5. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    userunfriendly likes this.
  6. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    They'd be wrong because Napoleon started his retreat in October. Yeah, the next two months did devastate what was left of La Grande Armee but he'd already admitted defeat beforehand. No matter the final outcome, his alliances were sure to crumble.

I don't think that the French ever treated the Russians as the main rivals even in Napoleon's time, but it's not uncommon for the rest of Europe to be overly dismissive about Russia in general. The reality is that, in 1811, it looked like the Imperial France would be secure for at least the next decade. And Russia is very much the reason the opposite happened.

Oh, and I did read the first dozen chapters of the book and I don't like it. It does two of the things I never want to see in historical novels and how the author decided to solve the Russian Campaign conundrum isn't convincing. Also, the protagonist is supposedly completely different from Napoleon, so why the hell did the author make it an alternate Napoleon? It's just an odd decision that causes narrative problems for no good reason.

7. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm good with that. Also have you ever heard of butterfly effect? One event could change anything?

8. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, but the author still has to put in the hard work to make the change believable.

9. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link
    @Alvilda I read the raw till 152. Is there more chapter?

I'm curious about reverse Waterloo

10. Alvilda

Alvilda Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as I know, the novel ends on chapter 152 (it's titled "The end"). I haven't read everything yet so don't spoil me :blobcheeky:

prongsjiisan likes this.
  11. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link

Vive L'empereur Napoléon!!!

Napoleon did the right thing with Demobilization, because France need that human resources, Although his army smaller but he get Faster in speed.

Also Battle of Hrodna is one of the best victory. That forced Alexander II to negotiation table.

Alvilda likes this.
  12. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link
    Alvilda likes this.
  13. snooppyed

snooppyed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    same
    same with me. i feel there should be another chapter, so after i read ch 152, my reaction “that’s it?” but i searched from raw there’s only 152. feel bittersweet

14. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try this historical novel.
    1296 chapters - Fully completed
    崛起之第三帝国
    MC completely integrates into the identity of a German during WW1, doesn't favor China at all.
    Story is very logical, and there's no hidden CCP propaganda in the undertones.

Probably why it was banned in one of the Qidian banwaves lol.

Thats why many authors stick to writing safe, stale settings. So they don't get banned.

15. Deleted member 176237

Deleted member 176237 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Aiyooo Thanks. It's kinda hard to find any foreign historical novels since they got a lot of issues. Thanks for the recommendation.

16. prongsjiisan

Reading List:
    Link
    Link please

17. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not translated, but you can find easily using google.

prongsjiisan likes this.