Question for those who read good number of Korean Otome/Villainess novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by BEritro, Sep 7, 2021.

1. BEritro

BEritro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are most of them of generic trash in terms quality like most of jp isekai or cn cultivation novels are? what things you like about this type of novel and what things you hate about them most?
    sorry if this asked before but if you guys can give your thoughts that would be big help

2. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    most of them are dog blood drama filled with angst '-'
    Then there are some with lot of angst but a happy end
    and then there are some that have good fluff involved in it
    definitely better than japanese ones tho

3. BEritro

Reading List:
    Link
    so overdramatic and generic most of them that is but better than japanse rom com novels? yeah i can totally see that considering the fact when it comes my personal take currently on average the level quality bar for jp rom com stuff is lower than jp isekai stuff

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  4. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Some are really good~ Like Death is the Only Ending for the Villainess

Others do get kinda generic after a bit, but hey, the art is very very pretty in the manhwas!!

joey183 and DewDropsOnMellons like this.
  5. BEritro

Reading List:
    Link
    well yeah manhwa art most of the time are great be it system or otome tho good art dont save manhwa all the time but i hardly care about manhwa i mainly asking stuffs for novel and story

6. Vermouth

Vermouth Older but none the wiser.

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the setting in Korean Otome Villainess novels. Usually it’s some sort of fantasy Western setting with magic, perhaps. You don’t see that as often in Chinese novels. I guess you will also see that element to some extent in Japanese novels like Duke’s Daughter, etc. etc.

I like the romance in Korean Otome Villainess novels a little better than the romance in other novels. In Japanese villainess novels, the romance and plot often lack a certain level of tension that is necessary to hold my interest. On the opposite end, some Chinese novels just have way too much angst and relationship BS with too little fluff. Either that, or the romance is an incredibly slow burn across thousands of chapters.

Also, some Japanese villainess writing/translations are a bit too juvenile for my tastes.

xnvesha.14 likes this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    its blood dog drama
    it remind this cat with CN stuff but lack of face slapping

it just matter of preference
    overall you will get used to it~

8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read the novels, but I do read the mangas. And yes, they are pretty decent. I mean it goes without saying like all things that some stuff are fresh when you start them and as time goes you find more and more cliches and the like. That said, despite some issues here and there, they can be an interesting read, even for those who don't care as much about romance.

In general, KR MCs are more balanced than their JP(betas that don't kill anyone) and CN(kill anyone that breathes) counterparts and feel more realistic.

joey183 and xnvesha.14 like this.
  9. BEritro

Reading List:
    Link
    By KR mcs you mean both system mcs and otome mcs right?

10. wasntbornyesterday

wasntbornyesterday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I hate is that they all have similar fls and they're all the same except for like one slightly different twist like everyone having powers, the real not having specific eye colors and something random like that.

11. PPpupu

PPpupu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A. Sorry to say but most webnovels are generic trash.

B. What I like most is the facet of "villainess turns against her fate". The theme of fighting against one's destiny is always interesting, like reading about how the MC will save herself and fix a terrible situation. What I hate most is overused tropes. So I hate it when the MC is supposed to be strong and help herself, but then turns weak and has to be saved when the ML who is inevitably a prince/duke/CEO shows up.

C. Are you writing your own?

xnvesha.14 likes this.
  12. BEritro

Reading List:
    Link
    Wish i can lol but nah i am heavliy into action stuff but thought i might try something new but before that i thought i should ask the overall thoughts of others regarding a genre i have very little idea about

13. grass_is_tasty

grass_is_tasty Grass is more than just weed.

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing I like about Korean otome isekai is however trashy the plot may sound, there will always be a magic/political subplot. The descriptions sound like very cheap wattpad romances but the plots turn out not too bad. They always have a fantasy element/political intrigue in them and that's what I like about them.
    Now, I'm not saying that they are the best in terms of politics or fantasy. Manga/hwa/huas that focus solely on politics may do a better job dealing with the political aspect and actual adventure isekais may seem better at dealing with magic. But you see, I enjoy my politics with a manipulative and beautiful man knocking up the M.C. or something. And adventure isekais, which are generally geared towards men, tend to focus more on girl's body and leave retarded anime girl faces on hyper realistic bodies. Those look dumb. I like pretty girls more than sexually attractive girls and Korean isekais manage to hit every single thing I really like seeing in girls. The girl always looks so hot in the covers (granted that the retarded anime girl faces sometimes still manage to appear) and when I'm reading the novel, the descriptions just fit you know? Basically, the guy is hot, the girl is hot, there is a decent subplot and so I like it. Mostly because the girls are really hot though. I am reading the books for their covers, aren't I?

The plots tend to have substance, that is what I'm saying.

xnvesha.14 likes this.
  14. GhoulishGrrl

GhoulishGrrl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a pretty big genre, your going to see overlap and people trying to go with what's popular. That's just how art made for a mass market works. I will say that I have a lot of fun with it, a large number of novels tend to go weird or off the beaten path which is always fun.

shushreader likes this.
  15. shushreader

shushreader Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been a fan or both isekai and villainess noble girls tropes. The otome game is a plus.

It's not trashy if we're new to reading those kinds of tropes especially if we've never encounter a masterpiece. I would say that they're decent for a C-B rate amateur novels. But majority enjoyed it nonetheless. What I only find troublesome are:
    1. Blind characters. Where the characters inside that world didn't find it sus about a new soul possessing the originals body. I was always like "???". Anyway some novels, fortunately, portrayed the suspiciousness of the characters towards the transmigrated soul.
    2. Questionnable Abilities. ALWAYS. I find it unstatisfying when a so called "I was an averaged joe when I died then suddenly I gained a tremendous knowledge on how to make a *insert product/machine/planning*. Don't worry, to make it REALISTIC, I would trial and error until I achieved the finish product". Utterly BS.
    3. Same Plot Structures. Don't get me wrong. I sometimes want the same plot in different stories, only sometimes but not overly so. The plot for villainess noble suddenly becoming a white doddle flower *insert plot armor* and a multiple choice in choosing ML/s in otome games are overused. Thankfully again, there are some novels where they strayed off the path of common.
    4. Narration. I don't know if it's only me but in general I find those kind of tropes have a fanfic-like or sometimes a draggy narration.
    I would say that I enjoyed reading them nonetheless but still.

DewDropsOnMellons likes this.
  16. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a good novel on this theme on royalroad. You should check it out

17. Chicklit

Chicklit professional watcher

Reading List:
    Link
    -White lotus mc's. They're too innocent and naive??? Like they have to save themselfs but start acting like a holy mother saving everyone and thinking they should do it. Innocent characters suck when they aren't portrayed properly.
    -Ending up with a horrible male lead. Like okay, he killed you in your last life and now you love him? Or picking the ml instead of the second ml when the second ml is clearly better.
    -Unecessary romance. Like most of them are stories about revenge, why do they need to add a love interest that disrupts the mc's plans..
    -Random side characters. Why does the author need to enter a new side character all for them to act jealous 24/7 or be a background character.
    -Portraying the mc as being inferior or never talking about their beauty. Most of the novels I've read, they only show the ml's looks but never mention the looks of our mc. They also don't show the significance of their actions sometimes. As someone who's a face dog, I love my mc's being portrayed as beautiful so yeah.
    -The ml's thinking of our mc as someone who is weak and need to be protected. It just doesn't feel right, like don't you trust your partner enough?

18. candyjelly

candyjelly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    after reading 50+ titles, you kinda forget which scene happen in which series since the plot gets reused again and again.

the good side is most of them (completed ones) are only 100ish short chapters, so you can finish them in 1-2 days. So what I would suggest is, read the webtoon first (if available, if not, check out the novel cover ig), if you like the art and the story/synopsis, then read the novel.

19. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, villainess otome kinda always have the original heroine turned evil or end up twisted somehow by our reincarnated/transmigrated villainess mc which I find it's too overused cliched. If the heroine remained good, somehow it became yuri like where heroine becomes obsessed/lovey dovey with villainess. I want to read a story where the heroine is good too and don't 'fall in love' with the transmigrated villainess, with the heroine own happy ending.
    Also, the transmigrated villainess are too quickly to react so differently from the ori villainess right from the start. Why aren't they scared of being found out as an imposter by people around them? It'll be nice to have a transmigrated villainess that is self aware and is conscious of not being found out by continuing the ori villainess behavior and only slowly changing it in the long run with valid reasons for the change.

20. tonyolexia

tonyolexia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read too much otome villainess isekai that I've burnt out and I can't think of anything good about them anymore.
    -for example, mc is too casual about their apparent transmigration, this is a common problem in most isekai but I just don't get why they're just so okay with being leaving their past life behind like what?? Also, most of them are too op for their own good considering they were just normal people in their past life.
    -After mc was transmigrated to villainess body, everyone suddenly loves her soooo much now. Villainess' past actions ignored with no consequences. Also, why is the original heroine most often portrayed as a white lotus who's so sweet and sunny and hates the mc for ruining her harem plan?? What happened to those strong-willed heroines who actually has a personality and deserving to be loved?? It's like those heroines don't exist at all. I'd actually love to read a novel with a heroine like that and what her dynamic with the villainess mc will be.
    -OG villainess somehow always has a sad backstory and that makes her sympathetic now. Family is either too abusive or maybe too doting too.
    -Shallow characters. especially the male leads. I don't know, I just feel like their personalities are just too tropey and their backstories are very generic. Also, they fall in love way too easily with the villainess mc. Don't forget, this villainess tormented you for years and then suddenly she shows one act of kindness, everything is okay now? Yikes, if the villainess wasn't inhabited by our mc, that would be bad for him.
    -Writing style. Okay I'm being pedantic here but I've noticed that most of them are just too descriptive in their writing like about a character's looks, or there's too little description that I can't make sense where they are right now.

Sigh. I just want to read a really good otome villainess novel that is realistic, characters that has depth, doesn't rely on tropes too much, romance with an ml that has good slow burn, actual good worldbuilding that doesn't slap on a generic setting, and a plot that actually goes somewhere. But that's just asking too much, isn't it?

Anyway, they're still enjoyable and there are actually hidden gems there. I'm just burnt out lol