Recommendations A Xiaxia novel where the MC recognizes that the world is messed up and tries to fix it.

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by simenthora, Sep 14, 2021.

1. simenthora

simenthora Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I'm looking for a novel that starts as a standard Xianxia, and the MC recognizing that the world is messed up. Like how most worlds have "Strong can kill people and get away scot free", the MC realizes that this is stupid and tries to fix it.
    Maybe the MC is from our world(standard start), and knows how good governance works, and then becomes strong enough to topple the "Might is right" mindset so that there's more law and order at the end, with interesting applications of the magic of the world. It doesn't even have to be the whole world, maybe just his/her sect, where even the most important inner disciple is taught to treat everyone in the sect with respect or something like that.

So I really liked the world of the anime "No Game No Life", and I essentially want to see an MC who sets rules like Tet did which forces people to settle all disputes through non violent measures irrespective of strength.

2. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm :hmm:

Perhaps try "Beware of Chicken" on rrl?

You might probably also like SMT series - specifically the Law routes in various entries (It is a game series though)

3. Joospinch

Joospinch Don't click my avatar!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite impossible to change the world from the beginning unless they start the novel as a.god character, on the other hand if it happens midway then it would probably turn out that theres a bigger more savage upper realm, perhaps such conditions only appear in the conclusions of some stories where MC creates their owm universe etc. At that point tho they are usually quite jaded and dont really care about life or death of peasants

4. simenthora

simenthora Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, kinda hypocritical, but I don't see any other way a Xianxia world can change unless some all powerful being decides that nope, hurting bad. I mean, I really want to see a righteous sect that is NOT hypocritical, and doing it's best to improve the world even at the cost of it's own loss.

Interesting. I'll read this. I've heard good things about it.

Shin Megami Tensei? Thats what google gave me. I'll definitely play this when I have the time.

Thank you so much :)

Ddraig likes this.
  5. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like these kinds of novels. I mean, I like power trip as much as any other interdimensional dictator Overlord Hamster, but these kinds of novels seem so pretentious. It's like the author couldn't be bothered to actually write a well-written complex world with a more interesting dynamic and decided to jerk off the readers' egos by going "yes we are superior to these barbaric fictional characters that even a nobody from our society can be a somebody in this fictional world". It's so irritating to read sometimes. There are many other better ways to deliver a message through the story, but this kind just rings hollow. A better way would be to show some kind of moral conflict where both sides have solid points and have the characters slowly and painfully figure things out, and actually grow, rather than going "well I'm obviously right so I'm just going to do things my way".
    But I digress. Sorry for writing so much of a rant in a recommendation thread

6. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, just wanted to point out the problem of that method as that kind of stories often end up as self-righteous y'know? It kinda sucks that there is no SOL or world building focused Xianxia coz that is what would make such a concept work well. That being said it is also one of the major reasons I said to check out SMT.

Most if not all of the law endings fit what you want, although they dwell a lot deeper into such kind of philosophy in a way. Some are much more extreme than others though :)

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  7. simenthora

simenthora Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, which is why I made this post. I couldn't find anything and if there was this rare novel that I've never heard about I'd like to know about it.

I know what you mean. I'd really like a book with a good moral conflict too. However, what I find is that books with a good world building aren't very common in the Xianxia theme. What I find is that in most novels, the MC improves, gets stronger and even becomes god in some books, but what I find lacking is what does he/she do to improve the world. I really liked Good for nothing Seventh Miss because of how the MC is working to bring peace between Demons and Humans, which is pretty cool(I haven't finished so IDK if this actually happens, I'm still near the start) and I would really like to read more OP MC's have a good effect on the world in general rather than just "I will take care of those who I love, and the rest can die". I know it's a fantasy world, but come on man what happened to With great power comes great responsibility?

Reack likes this.
  8. Silver Spark

Silver Spark Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can read Azure legacy/Archeon Eon Art.
    Though it generic xoanxia but people at least have some morals, not all but some of them even ML and the best thing I like in it is MC is not transmigrated or reincarnated. His values come from his own present life.

Well I have just started writing my own novel of xianxia category in Royal Road called "life" By SilverSpark, thinking of same concept but only able to release 2 chapters. Will be glad if someone review it.

9. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Path of Ascension on royalroad is probably what you're looking for.

10. ishaan

ishaan I Eat Potatoes

Reading List:
    Link
    Savage Divinity matches your description

11. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Kamuizin

Kamuizin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nicolau Maquiavel would have an opinion on this topic.

13. dicaro2338

dicaro2338 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How would a MC realize that the world is stupid?

Their world is stupid because everyone wants immortality, yet almost no one gets it. Meaning that either their techniques suck, or their comprehension suck. Their only hope for survival is to get a huge number of people working on their technique in hope that someone finds the solution. But instead they hide every little detail as if it could somehow make them the strongest. When higher realms exist, and death doesn't care how strong we are...

A MC can't learn that the world is stupid because he has plot armor. With it, he can always summon new places to loot, or instantly invent a new technique without any testing and data gathering. He doesn't need cooperation.

simenthora and Reack like this.
  14. Reack

Reack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ascending, Do Not Disturb She doesn't try to fix it but she does prevent conflicts from escalating although sometimes she does it unconsciously.

I remember that in this novel it is mentioned that precisely there are not many hidden techniques because they made them known to improve them. It is even mentioned that it is not good to practice a secret technique that you have found since it might not be beneficial for you or compatible with you.

Edit: Also the protagonist thinks at first that she is the protagonist XD

simenthora likes this.
  15. simenthora

simenthora Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read this. Its so sweet and lovely, everyone is nice to each other.

Who is this again? Google gives me an italian philosopher. Are you trying to convert me to philosophy(tho ngl this guy had some interesting opinions and thoughts)

Reack likes this.
  16. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only one I know is one where the main character is literally sent to another realm where her task is to uproot bugs in the system called the world. Who sent her or how she was sent is one of the mysteries... And her own powers are random too but she's OP too, while taking care of the bugs she often contrasts the morality with the modern world. Though she doesn't actively bother to change the world view...
    My Disciple Died Yet Again

simenthora likes this.
  17. Kamuizin

Reading List:
    Link
    Nicolau Maquiavel was a philosopher whose premisse was “the man is evil by nature unless he need to be good”.

His opinion was the antithesis of Jean-Jacques Rousseal, a genevan philosopher, whose premise was “the man is good by nature and society corrupts him”.

The meaning of my previous post is: some ppl don’t see society right or wrong, just humans acting based on their own nature. For Maquiavel, the scenario you wish to see into a novel isn’t a fix on society, but a control or leash (probably even needed) to allow the development of civilized community.

Obs: philosophy isn’t religion, it’s science :), but you know that.

simenthora likes this.
  18. simenthora

simenthora Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hehe, yeah I didn't mean convert as in "believe in", but more like "make me interested in".

What I'd find interesting to read a bool where an MC who is good cause ya know he's the MC, and he ends up being a controlling leash on people(to quote you), where he starts kinda weak, then maybe he's promoted to peak lord or something and he establishes rules like "Even core disciples are to treat outer disciples with respect", and since everyone tries to help each other instead of stealing resources his peak grows stronger than the others, where he becomes clan leader and he establishes the same rules, maybe only in the clan. Like screw the others, treat clanmates with respect. This increases the strength of the clan, again cause helping each other instead of stealing from each other in mystical realms and the like. Teach them working together is important and what not. maybe even have people who hate this mentality oppose his rules or something. Maybe give him a grand magic that can "establish laws" and like immediately kill people who breaks these laws. Have him set up really cool laws like "Physically hurting others is banned" or something.

Slowly increasing this in scale(country/world/realm and so on). Maybe have his world be really powerful while he ascends to a better realm, and so in some huge multiworld tournament his team wins cause you know united. And so on until by the time he is an all powerful immortal everyone is nice to each other cause he has cast his grand magic on the whole world which achieves world peace or something.

Would be a scenario Nicholau approved of :D

19. Kamuizin

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe HSSB is a bit of this (only in his clan), and mabybe Child of Light? I never read this last one.

There’s another novel from Douluo Dalu world, shen ying wang zuo where mc is a chosen one of light and try to enforce good and order everywhere, but he hate demons and kills them (mostly) on sight or something like that (i didn’t read this one too).