What is GENUINE HAPPINESS?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ToastedBread, Sep 15, 2021.

1. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Both long and short term satisfaction aligning is genuine happiness.
    Eating Pizza and chips while knowing that your life is great (and you won't get fat from it ever).

Absence of worries and negative emotions is also something I'd say is necessary?

Eating after a (relatively) long time of not eating is also genuine happiness

ToastedBread likes this.
  2. Goblinslate

Goblinslate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Satisfaction with what you have.

3. Lewisking50

Lewisking50 Voidseeker, King of literally nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    A state of sublime self where, for the moment, no minor - and many major - worldly or otherworldly influences matter. It is different from euphoria, as euphoria is fleeting.
    Happiness can be sustained for much longer if all factors are met, though the factors differ from person to person.
    Family, friends, a healthy relationship, often faith, recreational variety, for many work they are passionate about; these are all proven ways to build a foundation for lasting happiness.
    It can still come crashing down hard if an aspect is lost or something very unexpected happens, like the death of a loved one. But people who had such lasting happiness recover the fastest from my experience in group therapies.

Lonelycity and ToastedBread like this.
  4. One Perfect Veteran

One Perfect Veteran [ICL] [Bureaucat] [Cereal Killer]

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, I think everyone here is right about what genuine happiness is. Just consider this: what if your proffessor already knows that happiness has different definitions according to different people, so he wants you to think and think and think and think so much that when you eventually come to his class, you will either have no answer or give out one of the "generic" ones. So in either of the two cases he would just accept your answer or dismiss you, saying that he already anticipated this and will give out the speech about how the research of what genuine happiness actually is has been continuing for decades, and you yongun are not worthy to think about it. Then he will go to the middle of the room, where somehow a mic will appear and stretch his arms to the sides, in a gesture of demanding the attention of the class. Then, he will proclaim: "This class is what genuine happiness is. The fact that I am teaching you here is already genuine happiness. You younguns are not worthy to even contemplate upon the true meaning of what happiness is, so you should be happy with what I give you here already. Now. Class dismissed." But the door leading outside the classroom is closed and you are trapped in the room, while the professor was actually a serial kidnapper, and he already escaped the room, which he trapped with all kinds of torture devices. Anyway, this could be one of the answers, so think carefully before coming to the proffessor's class.

Lonelycity and ToastedBread like this.
  5. Lynx

Lynx Professional...on lewd matter

Reading List:
    Link
    That's simple, when you open the fridge and you saw your favorite food inside, and no one around you at the moment so you can eat it alone without disturbances....just start from simple things, that's how you find genuine happiness.

ToastedBread likes this.
  6. Undying Winter

Undying Winter ❅ Avid Enjoyer of Trash ❅

Reading List:
    Link
    To me, just not being sad is happiness. I don't need an extremely joyful event in my life, everything's alright as long as there's nothing, at least currently, that makes me feel sad.

ToastedBread likes this.
  7. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    When you feel happy and it lasts longer than 3 seconds :blobjoy:

ToastedBread likes this.
  8. ToastedBread

ToastedBread Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeahhh, being cat is another form of contentment.:blobmelt:

Lonelycity likes this.
  9. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    Being with you

ToastedBread likes this.
  10. ToastedBread

Reading List:
    Link
    i thought giving him an answer "eating" would suffice hahahhaha but, poor May got a disappointed look.:blob_teary:

11. One Perfect Veteran

One Perfect Veteran [ICL] [Bureaucat] [Cereal Killer]

Reading List:
    Link
    I know why the professor was disappointed. He wanted to eat you after getting you out of the toaster, but then he heard you speak, putting the professor into a moral conundrum of whether it is acceptable or morally right to eat a talking piece of bread.

12. ToastedBread

Reading List:
    Link
    ahhhh~~~forbidden love is the best :love:

aikfjqawoipefhfa'qkwfroaejfgpepq :blob_blush::blob_blush::blob_blush:

13. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsweat: for what kind of class do you have to find out? Language or religion/ethics?

14. ToastedBread

Reading List:
    Link
    Social science.

15. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Happiness: Essentially moral state generally attained by man when he has obtained all that seems good to him and has been able to fully satisfy his desires, fully accomplish his various aspirations, find balance in the harmonious development of his personality.
    In literature:
    True happiness, happiness of life; believe in happiness. Another moment of happiness, a poetic work. de Montherlant (1934); Crazy happiness, novel by Giono (1957):

8. ... happiness does not consist of isolated instants of energy, pleasure or forgetfulness. The happiness is an almost continuous succession, and durable as today this happy combination of peace and activity, this sweet and austere harmony which is the life of the sage. All living joy is instantaneous, and therefore fatal or at least useless; the only happiness real is to live without suffering, or, more exactly, to be happy is to live: all evil is foreign to the fullness of life, and all suffering has the causes of destruction as its principle. The pain is contrary to the existence; whoever suffers does not live fully and fully; ...
    SENANCOUR , Rêveries, 1799, pp. 91-92.

9. I am unhappy with everyone because I am unhappy with myself. The well-being constant , happiness consists in the possession of a destiny in relation to our faculties. If our faculties were something constant and fixed, it would be possible, in certain cases, to arrange one's life in such a way that the relation which constitutes happiness is maintained; but our faculties, our dispositions, our way of feeling and judging life change with age, while our situation and our relations remain the same, or vice versa. How could we ever be constantly happy ?
    MAINE DE BIRAN , Journal, 1814, p. 22.

10. Happiness is feeling your soul is good ; there is no other, properly speaking, and that one can exist in affliction itself; hence it is that there are pains preferable to all joys, and which would be preferred to them by all who have felt them. enters into the composition of all happiness The idea of having deserved it .
    JOUBERT , Thoughts, t. 1, 1824, p. 184.

11. When the relationship with the outside world is pleasant to us, we call it pleasure ; but this state transient is not happiness . By we mean happiness a state which would be such that we desire its duration without change. Now let's see what would happen if such a state were possible. For it to be absolutely, the outside world would have to come to a stop and stand still. But then we would no longer have any desire, since we would no longer have any reason to modify the world, whose rest would satisfy us and fill us. We would therefore no longer have any activity or personality. It would therefore be rest, inertia, death, for us, as for the world. (...) To want to live is to accept evil. You imagine the happiness absolute possible, it is the nothingness that you desire.
    P. LEROUX , De l'Humanité, t. 1, 1840, pp. 19-20.

12. ... I pronounced, on the contrary, that happiness was a universal and indivisible heritage, that no one appropriated exclusively without being guilty of the crime of selfishness. Understand, then, that duty, love, devotion consist in making happiness one's that of others, and the happiness of others one's own, while egoism consists in making one's happiness the unhappiness of all. Nero wanted the Roman people to have only one head to kill them all at once: this is selfishness. Titus felt he was losing the day he failed to make a man happy : this is love.
    LACORDAIRE , Conf. of Notre-Dame, 1848, p. 185.

13. There is on earth such immensity of misery, of distress, embarrassment and horror that man happy there can think without taking ashamed of his happiness . And yet he can do nothing for the happiness of others who does not know how to be happy himself. I feel in me the imperative obligation to be happy. But all happiness seems hateful to me, which can only be obtained at the expense of others and by possessions of which we deprive him. (...). As for me, I have taken an aversion to all exclusive possession; is the gift happiness , and death will not take much from my hands. (...) My happiness is to increase that of others. I need happiness everyone's in order to be happy. I admired, I have not finished admiring, in the gospel a superhuman effort towards joy. The first word that is reported to us from Christ is " happy ... " his first miracle, the metamorphosis of water into wine. The true Christian is one who suffices to intoxicate pure water. It is in himself that the miracle of Cana is repeated.
    GIDE , Les Nourritures terrestres, 1897, pp. 268-270.

14. Claudel and Christianity saw much deeper by thinking that this ephemeral enjoyment was the only one possible on earth. But they were wrong to assert the possession of for a hereafter joy . It is because they did not have the courage to recognize the illusion that this happiness was fixed . The happiness is that this precarious throbbing hand outstretched to his right. It is just that.
    J. RIVER , Correspondence [with Alain-Fournier] 1908, p. 43.

15. Duty to be happy : it is not difficult to be unhappy or unhappy; all you have to do is sit down, like a prince who waits for someone to amuse him; that gaze which watches for and weighs happiness like a commodity casts the color of boredom on all things; (...) it is always difficult to be happy ; it is a fight against many events and against many men; we may be defeated there; (...) it is impossible for us to be happy if we do not want to be; we must therefore want our happiness and do it. What we have not said enough is that it is also a duty towards others to be happy.
    ALAIN , Propos, 1923, p. 472.

16. Males have no soul for bliss. In their eyes, happiness is a state negative , tasteless in the literal sense of the word, of which one becomes aware only through a unhappiness marked ; the happiness is obtained by not thinking. One day, we reflect on ourselves, we realize that we are not in too much to ourselves trouble : we say that we are happy. And we draw up as a rule of conduct this famous cliché, that happiness is only obtained on the condition of not seeking it. (...) It is a man, Goethe, who spoke of the “duty of happiness ”. And it is another man, Stendhal, who wrote this magnificent word, and who goes so far (it contains a whole philosophy and a whole morality): "I respect nothing in the world like happiness ." But these men were superior men (...). It has been said a hundred times of the kind of uneasiness which seizes man when he finds himself at a standpoint, in a state of equilibrium where there are no longer any desires in him: this sort of discomfort is reminiscent of that which one experiences in an oil dinghy, if the engine stops by accident, on slack seas. Hence it is that the consciousness of happiness gives such a great feeling of loneliness. This is often overlooked. Sometimes, however, man has a positive conception of happiness . The happiness is then for him the satisfaction of vanity. (...) Women, on the contrary, have a idea positive of happiness . This is because, if the man is more agitated, the woman is more alive.
    MONTHERLANT , The Young Girls, 1936, p. 1003.

17. ... when you speak of happiness , or you speak of a state of man which is to be happy as well as to be healthy, and I have no action on this fervor of the senses, or you speak of a graspable object that I may wish to conquer. And where is he? "Such a man is happy in peace, such another is happy in war, such a desire for solitude in which he is exalted, such another needs to be exhilarated by the festive crowds, such asks for his joys in the meditations of science. , which is the answer to the questions asked, the other, his joy, finds it in God in whom no question has any more meaning. (...) So this gutsless ghost escapes you that you vainly claimed to seize. If you want to understand the word, you have to hear it as a reward and not as a goal, because then it has no meaning. "
    SAINT-EXUPÉRY , Citadelle, 1944, pp. 695-696.

Rem. 1. Unlike pleasure, happiness is associated gen. to the idea of continuity, of long duration. But it is sometimes seen as a very brief state; hence some assoc. at first glance paradoxical: a few flashes of this calm happiness ( MAINE DE BIRAN , Journal 2, 1824, p. 115); a second of super-acute and superhuman happiness, ideal and carnal, maddening, unforgettable ( MAUPASSANT , Tales and short stories, t. 1, Alarm clock, 1883, p. 880), etc., which justify the rem. of LAL. : ,, The idea of duration is not essential to happiness, ... ``:

18. Be happy with the moment. Any happiness that lasts is misfortune. Have respect for all times, and do not make connections between things. Do not delay the moment: you would leave agony. See: every moment is a cradle and a coffin: that all life and all death seem strange and new to you.
    SCHWOB , The Book of Monelle, 1894, p. 19.

Rem. 2. By sem. Weakening, happiness can be used as (quasi) synon. of
    pleasure:
    19. ... pedagogues ... came running to put some clarity in his mind. “It's very simple,” they said to him, “good deeds are those which are useful to us, that is to say those which make us truly happy. The bad are those which are harmful to us, that is to say those which make us unhappy ”. I hear, said the teacher, but what will I say to a man who will tell me: it is obvious that I abuse absinthe and that I will end with an attack of delirium tremens, but my pleasure is there. aperitif redoubled every evening and with this series of happiness immediate , I fully accept any inconvenience for the future.
    BARS , My notebooks, t. 8, 1909-10, p. 45.

SYNT. a) Complete happiness, conjugal, domestic, eternal ( the happiness of an eternity spent in the contemplation of the Supreme Being ... eternal happiness : CHATEAUBRIAND , The Martyrs, 1810, p. 169), future, human, unexpected, perfect, past, lost, public, supreme, earthly, universal; great, immense happiness; happy with the happiness of. b) Happiness of (the / her) family, of man, of humanity; luck (s), excess, days, promise (s), dream, secret, memory, life (of / of) happiness; to the height of happiness, to the height of happiness. c) Happiness (of) to love, to be, to do, to please, to possess, to be able, to meet, to see again, to see; to bring, to ensure, to have, to envy, to taste, to promise, to return, to find, to dream, to sacrifice, to find (the / her) happiness (to / from); to enjoy, to wish for happiness; (arg.) go to happiness. (Quasi-) synon. make love (E. and J. DE GONCOURT , Journal, 1852, p. 69).
    PARAD. a) (Quasi-) synon. bliss, enchantment, euphoria, ecstasy, prosperity, rapture, serenity. b) (Quasi-) anton. anguish, anxiety, worry.
    Proverb. Money does not buy happiness, the misfortune of some makes the happiness of others.

2. [Happiness in special situations]:
    20. “Brother,” I said to him with an air of interest, “do you know what happiness is ! He looked at me with wide eyes, swallowed a mouthful before answering: "Happiness!" he said to me at last; what happiness are you talking about? »(...) Since I have been in the world, I have had a thousand kinds: as a child, I had the happiness of having a mother, while there are so many who have no father. neither mother; (...) grown-up man, I had the good fortune to travel at the expense of the public and to educate myself in the customs and customs of all peoples; you see that here are many pleasures .
    I understand you, my good fellow; but all these happinesses are only fractions of happiness , various kinds of a single family: how do you understand happiness in general?
    As there is no vagrant in general, I cannot answer you. Only, in the course of my life, I observed that for a healthy man, happiness was a glass of wine and a piece of bacon; for a sick man it was lying all alone in a comfortable bed in the hospital.
    FETUS , The dead donkey and the guillotined woman, 1829, pp. 67-68.

21. ... happiness does not require a framework. A cottage and a heart! says the romance: an attic and contentment of mind are still sufficient. As long as we have a place to work in peace and to rest our head, as long as we have a heart to pour out our sorrows and share our joys, we have what is needed, we can live, we can even say that we are privileged, and I forgot the daily bread, health, independence, chosen profession and other ingredients of happiness which are also granted to you and which are no small thing.
    AMIEL , Diary, 1866, p. 235.

22. How are there still men to persist in your dwellings! How to find they still that bit of joy that no happiness necessary however to life? ... But myself, after all, did I not live there those minutes which make felt in all its animal strength the simple happiness that it is to live ? Under these small palm groves, impressive in isolation and resignation, I experienced the delight of quenching my thirst in the slightly earthy water flowing in the séguia, ...
    NS J. THARAUD , The Arab Festival, 1912, p. 153.

23. ... my happiness incredible , not being able to ignore its fragility, there was something purer and more overwhelming. But how to say it? We do not express happiness ... I am silent. And, in the silence, I felt my deeply happiness . But he was not triumphant: it was a commodity fragile, delicate , the very fragility of which was the price. It was made up of very simple sensations: that of seeing Maurice next to me, that of having the certainty of his presence; that of letting oneself be invaded by the tender light and of having escaped from everyday existence.
    DANIEL-ROPS , Death, where is your victory? 1934, pp. 311-312.

3. [Happiness in its outward manifestations]:
    24. I understand that your happiness overwhelms you in some way. It is the effect of surprise, it is the effect of the violence of passion; the transports of joy last only a few moments, the soul then becomes concentrated in itself, and spreads little outside. There are three kinds of people who speak little, they are the learned and the very happy or very unhappy people ; so we can say that knowledge, pain and happiness are silent. Some have too much to say to speak, and others cannot find expressions that can satisfy them. Nature itself denies them the ordinary means of manifesting their feelings : ...
    MEILHAN SENAC , L'Émigré, 1797, p. 1885.

25. ... ce jeune homme, (...) full of affection for all, because he was heureux et que le bonheur rend bons les méchants eux-mêmes, versait jamais son juge la douce affabilité here débordait de his heart. Edmond n'avait in the regard, in the voice, in the rhythm, just rude and just punishment qu'avait été Villefort Ramsey him that caresses and champ for the interrogeait look.
    DUMAS father, The Count of Monte-Cristo, t. 1, 1846, p. 78.

26. I surrounded her with so much love that the shadows of the day will move away in her path, happiness will be in her eyes like the color blue in the transparency of the sky, I want her happy in order to make lovable happiness . ..
    J. BOUSQUET , Translated from silence, 1935-36, p. 239.

4. P. compar. :
    27. ... the most vivid and intoxicating memories are not those which, mixed with joy and sorrow, have asked us for years to leave only a word after them. The most powerful are those moments of happiness incredible which burst in life like a fire, which light it up and burn it for a few hours, and which, when they are extinguished, represent themselves to us freed from all the care taken to obtain them. , free from all despair of having lost them.
    RELIEVED , Les Mémoires du diable, 1837, p. 182.

28. Octave Lanoue was smoking a small olive wood pipe. He carried his head slightly tilted over his shoulder, which is fine and pleasing to the eye. Her face expressed a happiness so calm that it resembled absence, emptiness, nothingness, she expressed a happiness habitual , well, something comparable to the happiness of a clock which has been wound up for a hundred years, to the happiness of a stone that falls in space for eternity.
    G. DUHAMEL , Midnight Confession, 1920, p. 64.

5. P. metaph. :
    29. Since they considered themselves happy, they were in fact the happiness not dependent than the idea we form. (...) more or less wide cage for small or large animals; the kite would suffocate in that where the canary flies at ease, and others, where vultures are locked up, would kill the lions; but whether the bars are tightened or widened, there comes a day when we find ourselves panting on the edge, gazing at the sky and dreaming of limitless space.
    FLAUBERT , The 1 st Sentimental Education, 1845, p. 120-121.

30. We wait with open souls for cascades of events happy . It only happens to be half good and we sob right away. The happiness , the true happiness , I learned to know. It does not consist in the sudden arrival of a great happiness, for they are very rare and very short, the great happiness, and they leave you, once past, with a darker soul, like lightning in the night; but it resides simply in the quiet and patient expectation of a multitude of joys which never come. The happiness is waiting, happy expectation, trust is a full horizon of hope is the dream! Yes, my dear, there is nothing good but dreams, ...
    MAUPASSANT , Tales and short stories, t. 2, Souvenirs, 1884, p. 1291.

31. He felt he had missed happiness ; but he was not thinking of complaining: he knew that happiness existed ... sun, I don't need to see you to love you! (...). And he thought that, no more than faith or lack of faith, it is not children or the lack of children that bring happiness or misfortune to those who marry and those who do not marry. The happiness is the perfume of the soul, the harmony of the heart that sings. And the most beautiful music of the soul is kindness.
    R. ROLLAND , Jean-Christophe, Les Amies, 1910, pp. 1247-1248.

6. P. meton., With personification or allegorical value :
    32. ... one feels defended by the snoring fire, by the smoking pot, by all this humble happiness and even by that provocative smell of onions, all like small white fruits, on a plate. A real family dinner, one of those winter dinners, more intimate, more cordial than the others, where happiness chilly comes to nestle near the fire.
    DORGELÈS , The Wooden Crosses, 1919, p. 123.

33. Yesterday, happiness suddenly entered, as before, and it stood for a moment in the great silent and dark living room. We were standing in front of a window and we were looking at the rain which weaved its veil in the darkened sky, (...) I felt that happiness was near, humble as a beggar and magnificent as a king. He's still there (but we don't know), knocking on the door for us to open the door for him, and for him to come in, and have dinner with us.
    GREEN , Journal, 1940, p. 9.

7. In interj. :
    34. O happiness, happiness ! A letter from Raynaud who decides your marriage, who asks dad to let me come to your wedding. I will not be able, I am afraid, to enjoy this beautiful day; but as long as he comes, that I know your happiness, although from afar, I am happy, ...
    E. DE GUERIN , Journal, 1838, p. 227.

35. What a joy to have only to say: yes. With my already worn out life, with my newer skin, I was making happiness for the man I loved: what happiness ! (...). Every day it was the same landscape of water and grass, the same sound of machine and water: but we liked that a single morning was resuscitated from morning to morning, a single evening from evening to evening. This is happiness : everything was us good to .
    S. DE BEAUVOIR , The Mandarins, 1954, p. 423.

I don't know if this helps, it's machine translated from French

ToastedBread likes this.
  16. ToastedBread

Reading List:
    Link
    oh my much appreciated for this.:aww:

17. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Satisfied and content with what you have at the moment. Not having things that constantly leave you in a state of stress and possibly stuck in the back of your mind. Not angry, sad. Feeling like you can't stop smiling at hearing something good or being able to do what you want and/or get what you want.

ToastedBread likes this.
  18. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    What is GENUINE HAPPINESS?

Not worrying about financial needs.

Because without money you can't do shit.

19. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Genuine happiness is being a human slave to a cat!

[​IMG]

You see, humans are a greedy bunch that will forever desire more. Only when you are a true human slave of a cat can a human be genuinely happy as that is the true purpose of human existence.

ToastedBread and Baldingere like this.
  20. meliori

meliori [in a dark tunnel seeing light from afar]

Reading List:
    Link
    All kinds of happiness are genuine as long as you feel it

ToastedBread likes this.