Why do you forgive?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by meliori, Sep 16, 2021.

1. meliori

meliori [in a dark tunnel seeing light from afar]

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone said they forgive because they want others to also forgive them
    [​IMG]
    Since I believe in karma so much, I'm inclined to agree. You treat people the way you want to be treated, isn't it?

I forgot where I read this, it was said that forgiveness doesn't exist in this world. When you hurt someone, you create wounds. Wounds leave scars and scars can't heal. It stays for a lifetime and nothing will make it disappear, least of all your apology. Not that you shouldn't try to make up for it, but know that it wouldn't really make up for the hurt.

I don't hold grudges and I forget easily but this just makes me really unbelieving of others' forgiveness to me.

That said, if someone snatches all my snack stash without telling me, it's unforgivable and I wish they'd stub their toe at least three times in a week ahead

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't forgive, only forget.

3. CoupDeFri

CoupDeFri My shadow is my best friend.

Reading List:
    Link
    We forgive because we don't deserve to keep the anger in our minds , our brain can't keep up with so much thing that happening in life.

4. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless you are involved in a Netflix remake.

meliori likes this.
  5. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    Vengeance is really the only option.

Don't you know? An eye for an eye makes the world go blind.
    Therefore, if they take an eye, you just need to take a lot more than that.
    Source: Me, a questionable nursing student.

gheist1234, Cerene and meliori like this.
  6. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean... if it's a small thing, it takes way more effort to bear the grudge in my heart than to just forgive and forget. Especially if it was an unintentional grievance. Like who cares, even? Keeping all the anger pent up in your heart harms your health too.

7. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    You gotta forgive people, cause that way there is no motive/evidence when you eliminate them in the shadows.

8. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the protagonist forgiving an unforgivable act is a sign of a hack author

meliori likes this.
  9. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    Im not a person to bear a grudge, 2 or 3 days is enough to make me forget. But before days passed i will make sure the person also equally suffers. If not then i forget.

I forgive when the person did realize he /she is wrong and say sorry, i easily sympathize with people. I never brought things to my heart, or im gonna break soon.

OechineunAlex, Baldingere and meliori like this.
  10. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends, for small things I will just forget, which is my forgiveness. For more serious matters, I never forgive or forget. I have a short time on this planet, I'm not going to waste time on people who won't improve my life in some way. So I won't forgive and I won't forget. This means I just stop speaking to them and interacting with them.

I also think apologies are pointless. They are more to make the person apologizing feel better rather than the person who is receiving the apology.

meliori likes this.
  11. meliori

Reading List:
    Link
    What if they really don't deserve the forgiveness

Yeah, and they say revenge would make you feel emptier, no, revenge is satisfying af

No, that's an author trying to go against the tide because there's too many face-slap stuff out there :blobmelt:

12. RyreGruel

RyreGruel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As the saying goes forgive and forget which obviously means forgetting is forgiveness. So that makes me very very forgiving…

meliori likes this.
  13. meliori

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanted to argue that forgetting isn't forgiveness, but not being hold against your mistake because the offended person already forgot the mistake is a kind of forgiveness as well..

Isabelle likes this.
  14. keialpha

keialpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you only interact with a small amount of people, you can try to get revenge every time someone wronged you. In the past, how many people can someone interact with?
    But if you start to meet thousands of people every day, you can no longer hold all those grudges. You forgive since your time is better spent to make your own life better rather than make someone else's life worse in revenge.
    If you try to get revenge every time someone cut you off in the highway, you have no time to do anything else.

mir, Mnotia, Isabelle and 1 other person like this.
  15. meliori

Reading List:
    Link
    The answer is time management :blobsalute:
    There really are people petty enough to count every wrong they receive

Tech is life likes this.
  16. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    eh, it's only like that when someone isnt close to you. if they arent close, a sincere apology is just an acknowledgement of wrongdoing so the offender feels better after realizing they hurt you. when it comes to people close to you who hurt you though, apologies are more often to show remorse and desire to maintain the relationship. otherwise, they'd just be insincere with the apology and keep hurting you or just ghost u altogether. ofc it's up to you to decide if you want to patch things up or not, but i still think it's fundamentally different depending on how close or not the apologizer is to you.

in any case, I can be spiteful if people don't even acknowledge their wrongdoing so I like sincere apologies from people not close to me because it quells the anger and I can just forget it altogether. for people closer to me, i can't easily just accept acknowledgment of fault because I need to reassess if i want to keep them in my life.

Isabelle and meliori like this.
  17. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't matter how close or how distant someone is. An apology is a way to try to ease your own guilt, it does nothing or at least very little to make me feel better. I would rather someone try to earn my forgiveness through acts without saying sorry or apologizing, then having a heartfelt apology with tears and/or seeing them mop around because they feel guilty. I really hate the latter scenario. I don't need an apology, if you truly feel guilty show me through action.

Though again it depends what you did, eat my snacks that I was waiting all week to eat. I'll bring it up to make fun of you, but won't bother me. Break my trophies or award, won't really care, will make fun of you or embarrass you with the story in the future. Try to hurt one of my pets, sorry is not going to be enough.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  18. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of that horrible slasher movie that I was playing in netflix as background noise that's about some schizo trying to murder some woman's family for honking at him with her car during heavy traffic.

19. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    An eye for an eye makes the world go blind. It's as simple as that. If you cant forgive then you should forget it. No one gains anything good from not forgiving.

Someone stepped on your shoe? Forgive em or just walk away. Some dude called you stupid? Just ignore em.

Responding to a bad action with another bad action is inept.

Also, staying stressed about something is stupid.

meliori likes this.
  20. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a buddhist saying

Holding a grudge against someone is like drinking poison yourself to kill the enemy.

As you grow older you will find this to be true.

Latteboo, Ddraig, Wing0 and 2 others like this.