Discussion Isekai titles... what the f*

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Rowem, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Rowem

Rowem Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone who has seen just about any isekai/JP novel knows what I'm talking about.
    (When the author decides to just shove the entire premise of their story into the title)

I have some ideas on why it has become a trend, such as "shelf-scanning", just shoving the entire premise into people's face and maybe they'll get interested, but I still find it to be a shame that the entire genre just looks so 'crude' to me now, even from the very title. Would love to hear some thoughts on if this trend might transform/become less common in the future or if this is just going to forever be how titles are now and even more so in the future.

Most of the titles are so bad that they're hilarious too. if a novel was actually a comedy with such a title then props to them - I haven't heard of one that's ironic yet though.
    There's a reading list called "Long Title Hall of Fame" - it's great.
    Enjoy some of my favorites.
    • Expelled From a Black Magic Item Craftsman Guild, I Was Picked up as a Royal Magician ~but It Was Too Late When I Realized That I Was Actually the Highest-Level Magician in the Kingdom. Starting a Happy Life Anew With Those Who Acknowledged Me in the Royal Court
    • I’m a Humiliated, Incompetent Person, but I Alone Can Talk to Dragons, So I Can Choose All the SSS Skills and Loophole Items I Want to. I’m Going to Become Famous and Respected, So, to the People Who Humiliated Me – Go Die in a Ditch
    • I Refuse to Try to Max Out Any Stat So I’ll Just Start Finding My Own Way Around! A Healer That Doesn’t Specialize in Anything, Separates From His Friends, and Goes on His Own Journey
    • A Sword Master Childhood Friend Power Harassed Me Harshly, So I Broke Off Our Relationship And Make A Fresh Start At The Frontier As A Magic Swordsman.
    • After Marrying My Childhood Friend Who Was Supposed To Hate Me For Being A Gloomy Person, It Turns Out That She Actually Loves Me Very Much. She’s A Cool Takane no Hana On The Outside, but She’s Completely In Love With Me.The Girls Are Curious To Talk To Me, But Sorry, I’m Already Married.
    • I Obtained a Stepmother. I Obtained a Little Brother. It Appears That Little Brother Is Not Father’s Child, but a Scum King’s Child, However, Don’t Mind It Please ( ´_ゝ`)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  2. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    That seems to be the trend now XD

3. Galison

Galison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where's the question? Because your answered it in the 2nd line in the () lol

Nightow1 likes this.
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On the bright side, you need to look no further than the title to judge whether it'd appeal to you; in my case, such titles automatically qualify for the dustbin, saving me all the time and energy I'd have needed to research deeper. :blobwhistle:

Nightow1 likes this.
  5. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It will become more common because it is useful to have it that way. Short titles work when you also have a print book where the cover art can draw a potential reader in but for Japanese webnovel sites, there is no cover art available on the results page so having a generic title like 'Isekai swordsman' or something will not get anyone to click your novel.

Seigin and Nightow1 like this.
  6. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In an online library, it's easier to have a long ass title to catch someone's attention rather than a cover art that will end up generic, not to mention you can't slap a synopsis into a link unless you made it the title of the link itself. So it's a commerce issue. And remember, no book sales = no more writing = no food on the table, so it's a desperation maneuver of the times.

7. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, those titles aren't nearly as long when they're written in Japanese.

8. Siebzehn

Siebzehn 95% Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    • While Killing Slimes for 300 Years, I Became the MAX Level Unknowingly
    • The Raven Dark Hero ~I Longed to Be a Hero but Due to This and That I Became the Last Boss?!~
    They also kinda count...

9. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, they do too much. Look at Chinese titles, they still tell you the premise in the title (most of them, it's not quite as trendy as in Japan), but they strip it down to the bare minimum, like "I have a supermarket in the apocalypse" or "The 2-d boy I raised is an interstellar marshall" or whatever. And the Japanese titles are a bit too diligent in getting you familiar with their premise - they'll tell you all about the hero's setting/circumstances, the hero's call to adventure, the hero's love interest/s, the hero's aspirations, the power/s they gain, and even their future. Like gee, leave some plot for the actual novel.

Rowem likes this.