A quick question.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by One Perfect Veteran, Sep 16, 2021.

1. One Perfect Veteran

One Perfect Veteran [ICL] [Bureaucat] [Cereal Killer]

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a bit hurried, so here is a quick question.
    When you write a story, do you plan ahead? Or do you spontaneously write whatever comes to your mind?
    When you have written about 500 words, do you not get the feeling of not having any ideas? Do you suddenly lose motivation and become unsure? If yes, then how do you deal with that?
    And the last question: Why does it seem like I am always drowning in a quagmire of doubts every time I write for more than 30 minutes?

2. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever I write, I'm basically just writing whatever comes to mind. I mean, I have a rough plan for what I wanna be writing overall, right? Like I have plot twists and climaxes pre-planned. But outside of those moments, I basically just let the characters act out the scenes in my mind and write them down as it happens.

Losing motivation is definitely something that happens to me. Lotsa times I just have no clue which direction the story should take before the climax, and I mean. Not really the greatest advice that I'm giving here, but hey. I like to just head over to a different story for a while. Just write out an entirely different story line for a while and then return to the first.

As for your doubts, it's really a limit that you'll come up basically like. Every time you write. But it gets better the more you write. Like the first time I tried putting my words down, I was reading and re-reading every paragraph because I wasn't sure whether I liked how they sounded and flowed. But that is a hella inefficient way to write. If you can't write more than 30 minutes without doubting your story, then don't. Just write for 30 minutes a day, and the next day re-read what you've written and continue writing. After a while your 30 minutes will become 40, then an hour. It's something you gotta train.

3. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    sometimes, I write for three hours straight. thats when my inspiration is blooming to the point of explosion. I just let the words flow. grammar, spelling or something, I'll just check it later.

hahaha...but I haven't finished any series yet. My mind was still over flowing with inspiration but something really I don't know what to write. No, more like I don't know how to write it.

Also, sometimes, I just let it there. In the draft folder and will just continue it later.

When it comes to doubts. Of course, I deleted many novels before. hahaha

One Perfect Veteran likes this.
  4. Kyaaaaaaaaa

Kyaaaaaaaaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have a good outline and know where your plot should be heading, then fill in the little details (that come up in the moment) with that in mind as you write. It’s like art—you create the blocks and shapes and then you fill them in with colors and details.

5. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I believe both are intertwine. When inspiration comes. Go for broke. Let the passion flow. Afterwards create a more logical timeline/ plot line. But as to your last question. Inspiration doesn’t come with the flip of a switch. It comes when it comes. When the fleshing out of the novel needs to happen. Do it when your in a quagmire. Writers can go for years without another book coming out. It’s just the nature of the job. I wish you luck in your future writing

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  6. Zazaisme

Zazaisme Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I often write a story that have been planed before, but when my finger on the keyboard, I just dont feel it... sometimes I will listen some music that related to the story and get the mood about the flow of my story. Then my imagination will make it alive...

7. ToastedBread

ToastedBread Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm no writer but when my mind is being creative, I jot those down even though some doesn't make sense. After, "that phase" I'll thoroughly do some research on the subject matter to make it understandable and relatable. But the thing is when our brain receives too much information it'll short circuit, it's best to take small steps in working. Good luck!

8. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Writing is like riding a bike~

Except the bike is on fire.
    You're also on fire.
    The world around you is burning,
    And you're in hell.

I have an outline on where I want the story to go, but I come up with the exact moments as I write them. Usually, when I am away from the computer/writing program, I spend free time thinking how that scene should go. Who should do what and why? What would the best way be for that to happen where they stay in character and it doesn't feel forced.

Waiting for inspiration is an endevor on futility though. It is moody and tends to wear away after a paragraph or so. Sometimes it might last longer. I find that just sitting down and making yourself write is the best way to make progress. Usually, once I get started, more just keeps coming.

Doubting yourself is normal. It's a sign that you aren't sure about yourself or your writing. That said, while it's good to reflect on what you have, you can't let it stop you from resuming.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  9. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol. This a masterpiece.

To me it feels like it can become a hazy fog. There are so many bits here and there. And since you don't see a lot of things clearly, you kinda don't want to drive. Sometimes its hard to write because you don't have everything down yet of where you want to go with the plot and you don't want to continue on because you don’t want to hit any plotholes. But lets disconnect from the fog.

For writing, just write it out. Or record yourself talking about your idea. Sometimes its lot easier to say what we think but by the time it hits the page or the screen its completely different and we lost track.

Don't be afraid to write. Just gotta get over that hill. I for one am also stuck at the moment on how to proceed into writing. So ik, its easier said than done. That being said, good luck with your writing. :D

10. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Building off of this, if you have a bunch of ideas floating around, just writing them down can help get them in order for you. It can also get you to write them out a bit more. It doesn't have to be anything long, just the random thoughts bouncing around your brain

11. Writer_Luna

Writer_Luna Professional Liar

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer spontaneous writing cause when I hear a random genre of music it effects my plotline very much so if I like what I hear if I end up writing it halfway and then feel stuck I just redo the para because that actually helps.
    Everyone has different methods and you can't really do it how others do everytime so just be spontaneous and put down everything~