Discussion The problem with each countries novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by OldManGu, Sep 17, 2021.

1. OldManGu

OldManGu Legendary Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve been reading Asian novels for more than ten years and I’ve noticed certain problems in all three countries novels.

Japanese: Most of these stories involve an overpowered beta mc. The mc’s in these novels share the same traits. They are usually overpowered, cowards, simps, betas, losers and idiots that get hit by a truck. They will not hesitate to kowtow to any village noob and beg forgiveness for something that’s not even their fault. A lot of them will not even kill the most evil bandits and enemies who tortured them. They also just copy the same theme of having an adventures guild and stuff.

Chinese: These authors only care about money. They dream of turning their story into a 10,000 chapter piece of trash. They don’t care what level they drag their story down to as long as they can extend it to make more money. They also love copying other stories and never think of anything original.

Korean: These stories are by far the most high quality in my opinion. But that’s not to say they don’t have problems. Most of the Korean novels I’ve read have terrible endings. The authors just rush them when it’s nearing completion. A lot of them also turn to crap after the halfway mark. This is more to do with the author not being able to think of any good ideas and just winging it. It’s rare for Korean novels to have a decent ending like Solo Leveling. Most of them turn to crap like Reincarnator.

2. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, there are a few adjectives I would have added. Especially, the Chinese one. But over all I agree.
    Of course most of these novels are heavily influenced by culture. So it is what it is.

The thing that I wish they all didn’t do. Is to use the same historical background. I know their Japanese, Chinese and Korean. But it’s alright to use the history of Europe and America. To counter difficulties they come across. Like Roman tactics. Or European classical music. Or South American dancing. Or USA weapons.
    I mean you have a whole wide world of history and innovation. Why stick to your own countries past. Go crazy I say.
    At least that’s what I think

OldManGu likes this.
  3. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I get the impression that most Japanese authors try really hard to cater to the elementary school demographic. As such the writing style is really simplistic and often repetitive, like they're trying to explain or reinforce a point to a child. It's cute in the beginning, but it wears down after a while because there is so little substance.

Chuchuchama and OldManGu like this.
  4. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehhh... well for one, it'd be harder since the authors likely wouldn't have in-depth knowledge about other countries' histories (I barely know US history as it is lol). Unless they're very into reading novels from other countries, I doubt they (or their readers) would have enough information or interest for novels in a foreign setting.

Plus it's not even that interesting. Like is talking about all those religious conflicts and slavery and wars that fun? :blobwoah:

Doesn't even sound like a setting that can be used for romance or anything.

Though if you wanted more novels with European/American history in it, you could read novels from Europe/America for the best quality ones? :hmm:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  5. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    I do read a broad range of novels. As to an author history of knowledge. I’ll acknowledge your point, but still I can only read the same history. So many times. I mean I’ve lost track on how many times Oda Nobunaga or Three Kingdoms are mention. It’s not that hard to look up stuff on the internet. The author could have use any number of other references.
    Ok since we’re going the romance route. They could have use Beethoven music or Don Giovanni opera. Europe, America and many other countries have a wealth of romantic history.
    I’m based in the US, but I still refer to other countries for ideas. The United States American civil war weapons was ahead of any other country at the time. Roman tactics during around 200AD was in a league of their own. Better than any country at the time. Mozart music is legendary.
    I’m more versed in war. So that’s my experience and that’s why I point them out. Romance is a little tough for me, but South America and Europe doesn’t come short in that regard.
    I’m just saying

OldManGu likes this.
  6. Lissi

Reading List:
    Link
    It is still way more inconvenient to have to Google something as compared to something that you (and your readers too; so they connect more) know by heart already though.

I honestly... dunno about the music. /shrug

Romance songs with lyrics are the onlyones that seem romantic on paper to me, unless you wanna write about the ballroom dancing music in detail... which hardly anyone ever does in the first place.

The most I know about European romance is the 19th century lords & ladies written in the novels written by Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters... which is really limited setting-wise? And I kinda doubt it's that easy to write about, either?

Not to mention, if you're looking for lore like all the places in the underworld or different gods and stuff, afaik I've only ever seen Greek/Roman ones or the Chinese ones.

Compare that to the one in the US... it's just heaven and angels and Jesus or it's like, the Devil. Oh, Adam and Eve too. Considering all the wars happening over this religion too, it's not even a nice thing to write about. :bloborz:

I'm not really well versed in war and I'm not much of a history lover, but I will say that when it comes to interest (aka will more people want foreign history or will more people just want a familiar setting so they can focus on the characters and plot), I believe that most people won't reslly care about learning about other histories and would rather focus on the characters instead of the world... you know what I mean?

Kaylee and Cutter Masterson like this.
  7. CovetousWolf

CovetousWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    JP: Yeah, naive and stupid plot with overflowing harem and beta MC. Also add bland side characters. For example: Novel about reincarnating in a slime - Side characters are useless. They neither help to develop story nor they grow. Violet ogre girl was stupid in the beginnig and she is still stupid after even 8 tomes.
    JP authors are afraid or simply incapable of experimenting and writing something like Reverend Insanity. Even good story like Overlord where author is trying to develop the actual world and side characters instead of continue story decided to write another stupid and generic slice of life shit.
    KR: Say no for worldbuilding, no for any meaningful plot or charactere growth + hate for japanese make their novels a very boring read. You almost always get a OP MC who get his power and become strong without any effort at all. Also just because their plot is bad they cant write even avarage ending. KR novels are a wet dream of some school kid.
    I can name only one or two KR manhwa which i enjoyed and not even single novel.
    CN: Because of how many there chinese novels you can find few decent one and while they are as bad as JP and KR with same mistakes - CN authors at least sometimes try writing something original and intresting.
    In my 12 year of readig asian novels i cant name even 10 decent novels which i can call good. My personal top is:
    1) Reverend Insanity 2) Overlord 3) Konosub 4) Release that witch 5) Throne of magical arcana 6) I shall seal the heaven 7) A thought through eternity.

Kaylee and seemanta like this.
  8. Cutter Masterson

Reading List:
    Link
    You always seem to point to the religious angle. Not all wars was due to religion.
    Personally, when I think historical love stories. I end up with Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet or something. But those are tragedy. I could point out Paris and Helena or Tristan and Isolde. But again not your Disney version of a happy ending.
    As to Gods. Well at a guess people just prefer those Gods to others. People like what they like.
    As to US religion. You do know there’s a law called freedom of religion right? We don’t have a set religion and there was no religion based in the US to begin with. If their were it’s some crockpot crazy person.
    I do understand you point. People write what they understand and believe. But personally for me some of the most greatest love stories can be seen across the world and throughout history. Music from faraway lands they make you weep. I just wish that the Isekai would be a little bit more broad.
    When I see an author site a music. I have to right away. Check it out. But unfortunately the authors use only their countries music and history. I mean it’s a Medieval setting shouldn’t there be a European music in there somewhere?
    I’m just saying

9. Lissi

Reading List:
    Link
    /shrug some are for other values
    still not very savory
    Those are like, really hard to read though
    Yes... so? Where I grew up, pretty much everyone's Christian.

And religion's still a touchy subject (even if you are "free" to practice your own religion), unlike myths and lore of other cultures.

If there is music (if there's no music at all, then it's very understandable), it's not European music? That's kinda interesting o.o

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  10. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I read Chinese novels for BL and female MC. Korean for male MC. And I don't touch JP novels anymore.

seemanta likes this.
  11. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you expect from reading shounens? They're basically dopamine inducing content, I for one, used it for my daily dose of wish-fulfillment.

If you want some average or above average quality, read some SOLs or any genre other than those weak to strong tagged novels.

seemanta likes this.
  12. seemanta

seemanta ţɦɛ ʏօʊռɢɛsţ ɮʀѧţ ɨռ ţɦɛ ɦօʊsɛ

Reading List:
    Link
    Writing with another country's culture as the background is actually really hard. Not only do you need to research about the big historical events and such, you need to research about the small day to day life, values, traditions etc too. Looking up stuff on internet doesn't really do anything, you need to read actual books and literature from that country or era to get the feeling. Making the character a native of those cultures are extremely hard as the author's own culture will affect him/her. That's why writing isekai is easier and that's also why the European worlds in these novels are not actually very European aside from clothes, buildings and foods.
    Some novels or mangas do have an actual different world with different cultures which I really enjoy (e.g. Tanya the evil, Freiren) but most are just Japanese culture wrapped in western themed package. And in CN novels, there's barely anything set outside of China. Even if there is, it's fantasy and the world building is not given much importance. If Chinese MCs do go abroad, those countries are portrayed in a rather prejudiced way and always compared with China. Western background in KR novels honestly feels like wish fulfillment royalty world with nobles, princes and princesses, wizards and witches, knights, mana, monsters etc etc. But they're still more western feeling than JP ones, at least to me. Light novel authors are mostly too lazy to do right research or they just copy someone else's universe.