Spoiler Cinderella wasn't me

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by rero00, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Mandyj

Mandyj Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can anyone tell spoiler of when fl accepts ml better? Like when does their love blossom? I'm excited for that

Her change of attitude really annoyed me. I like her but got annoyed (she wanted to use him for her revenge but turned angry when she found out he had been lying to everyone in order to survive. )

DOHere and irisrl like this.
  2. babayagu

babayagu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Her reaction to the big reveal is disconcerting, but at the same time, I can understand her distress. One of the implied reasons she proposed to the ML to get engaged wasn't just for the sake of revenge - she wanted to help him, who appeared so helpless and was very clearly mistreated a way out, as thanks for his kindness when she wasn't of such prestigious title. Up until that point, she thought somewhat fondly of the ML who always tried to comfort her in a household where she was always insulted and humiliated, a household that eventually ended up conspiring against her, despite her having endured that treatment in hopes she will be accepted in the future as thw wife of the future successor. She bit her tongue whenever Jemon's mother acted out because she believed she will become her future mother in law and there was nothing to gain from being on even worse terms with her.

To discover that even the person who was like a beacon of light had a personal agenda and involuntarily fooled you isn't the best feeling. While they both wanted to make use of each other, the FL was straight forward about it, informed the ML of all aspects concerning her sudden proposal, whereas the ML was planning on continuing to fool her for his own masterplan.

I would argue that the FL's reaction towards her parents is far more annoying and frankly concerning. While it is understandable that she refrained from harboring resentment towards her mother who raised her and with whom she has had such a close relationship, her attitude towards her father leaves me bitter. His moral failure has been discussed plenty on this thread, and perhaps I've been spoiled by the countless other novels where the fathers are all affectionate and display genuine love towards their daughters, but this novel's father leaves much to desire.

I wonder how FL's interaction with ML and the princess ia gonna affect her. As somebody who lead such a humble life for the better part of her life, and is just now exposed to the ways of the nobility, I am curious if this is ever going to be addressed in the story. Does her interaction with so many people with personal agendas, such as the princess, Cesio, and the Dabrik (?), who plot and backstab and have intricate masterplans that require using and deceiving people, affect her ? If somebody has any sort of spoiler in this regard, it would be greatly appreciated!

3. YuviellaHart

YuviellaHart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone find it adorable how the ML seems all cunning but blushes furiously when FL proposes to carry her? Haha :blobpopcorn: Anyway, in the chapter after she kills the manticore she fell above ML when trying to stop him from summoning the storm. And ML actually command her to love him instead and kiss her hand (he know the magic won't work). From that interaction i can't help but think that he does have initial interest towards her.

4. vielle

vielle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    anyone can give spoiler to me?actually im a bit dizzy to understand the ending post
    i just want to know ..
    1.did mc and ml get married?
    2.confession?
    3.mc ex and his family ending?
    4.pink girl ending?
    5.is there any sweet moment between mc and ml?
    6.is there any love rival?
    sorry for asking to much:(:D

Creolenerd, beazacha, xpeanut and 3 others like this.
  5. CallMeBaby

CallMeBaby Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am I the only one who find the manhwa adaption are poorly done and too rushed?? The novel has so much potential but the manhwa made the MC seemed too emotional and short-sighted, ML seemed like a cunning and manipulative @$$ when in fact he's quite adorable despite his 'secrets' IDK this could have been a one of the greatest revenge-political-romance manhwa but they f up

Creolenerd, DOHere, rrraray and 2 others like this.
  6. babayagu

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know how much different this translates in the novel, and if perhaps the details left out in the webtoon change anything, but I am having a very hard time finding the FL enjoyable, or the plotline interesting. Though getting back at your exes isn't something new in Korean novels, this particular one seems to fall off short, and I am wondering if this is because the failed relationship with the Marquis son is the focal point.

I am also having a hard time understanding what this novel is really about. While the FL has reasons to take revenge against her ex lover, it does feel that the whole revenge is blown out of proportions as she seems to have it out against the entire Dubrik family without there being any solid reason for her to do so.

Cheating is immoral and a horrible thing to do to somebody else, no question about it, but revenge simply doesn't seem to fit the crime, even if you take into consideration the humiliation she experienced at the hands of her ex future mother in law. Does her mother's kidnapping attempt explain why or justify why she is so hellbent on bringing down the entire family? It is true that the Marquis is a corrupt, immoral person, but that has more to do with the ML than with her. It can even be argued that if the marquis is involved with her mother's kidnapping attempt, none of it would've happened if she had minded her business and didn't threaten the position of the Marquis' son as his heir.

In most stories, the ML often partake in the revenge plan of the FL, but the story is never told from their POV as mere participants in another's revenge like is the case now.

The FL's personality is also difficult to like. She doesn't seek justice for her messed up childhood that was due to a mere misunderstanding between two fully grown adults, nor justice for a father that has little interest in her beyond her position as an heir, a father that treats her as a mere accessory he could very well do without if there wasn't a need for a successor, a father who seems to tolerate her more than love her, but she goes all out to get her justice from a lover who JUST cheated on her?

We already established that cheating is horrible and inexcusable, but compared to other stories, what her ex lover did until now was pretty tame for a korean novel. He didn't cause her death, nor take her money, nor used her to commit any sort of crime.

She spent 3 years arduously training and learning instead of enjoying her newfound wealth, prestige and stability on all fronts, just to... what? Get back at her ex lover? What exactly are her aspirations? Her ambitions? Her reasons justifying getting involved in this beyond wanting to repay Cesio for his kindness that was revealed to have mostly been calculated, with him being more than capable of holding out on his own?

Getting rid of a corrupt nobel and thwarting his evil plans is very nice of her, but he's hardly the only one with a secret agenda and great ambitions and even greater greed, and she has no stated desire to make the empire a better place or reform it. I find that argument weak for justifying her frank obsession with the Dubrik marquisate beyond her former lover who screwed her over being from that family.

All this wealth, and power, and prestige, and talent and for what exactly? Other than showing us that she is extraordinary.

Am I missing something? Some details that would shed some light on this matter and make it more personal for the FL?

ellieedeean, Creolenerd and manvugu like this.
  7. bravelylove

bravelylove Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think her only goal originally was to come back to the capital at first. By then she had mostly moved on and gotten over a messy break up. Upon hearing that her ex had cheated on her and had willingly contributed to her mockery in the social sphere, she wanted to humiliate him back. It wasn't just that he was messing around with her knowing he wasn't serious and cheating on her, he actively told other people she was pathetic and awful and a joke in his eyes, sending stories to gossip papers willingly to humiliate and torment her, all while hiding behind "I have to become the heir!" as an excuse. So she wanted to pull the rug out from under him and ensure his older brother who may be disabled but was very kind to her got that position instead. However, things didn't go as planned when the ML wasn't exactly as innocent and helpless as she thought, so she unknowingly got herself involved in a political mess. The Marquis had intended to kill her and destroy her family too, so at that point remaining allies with the ML was going to be good because even if she was mad at him, they had a common enemy and with the two of them working together they can overcome it. I think the development makes sense to me but if it's weak motivation to you I don't really know how else to explain it? Maybe it's just a matter of personal taste

I find the FL very relatable actually. It was a stupid misunderstanding, but there wasn't much she could do without upsetting her mom (who was, in the end, the real person responsible even if she wants to personally blame her father--she was the one who decided there was no talking about it with the man she married and working it out, she jumped right to the nuclear option of running away with no explanation over one mean thing he said she took in the most extreme way possible), and also these things happen. I also don't think her father is particularly bad--we are seeing it from the FL's perspective and seeing her accusations. She accuses him of being too hard on her, for making her suffer even now, and only seeing her as an accessory to her mother, but are those really true? Probably not. He pushes her, yes, but only because he knows she can do it and will have to do it to survive, even if she doesn't want to. We see her power through like, a decade of studying in a very short amount of time. He starts sparring with her early on because he knows very well what she is capable of at that time, not to punish her but because he knows he'd be a real challenge for her. Sure he comes off as cold, but also, would the FL even like it as a 20 year old for a father she has never known and blamed all her problems on to take her out dress shopping and to spoil her? I think that would make her and anyone in her position all the more uncomfortable. I've also had a distanced father I met again when I was an adult, and we didn't really hit it off well. He wanted me to still be a child and that only strained our relationship more because I was an adult who didn't really know him, and he wanted a tiny little daughter to spoil. At least her father is respecting her personality and knows what she can accomplish, while also treating her as a competent adult. They weren't ever going to have a perfect relationship, but he wants to make the most of it knowing what personalities they both have. I think if she really wanted something from him he'd probably be more than happy to provide it if he was able to, or tell her she is more than capable of getting it herself. But the MC isn't the type to expect her father to fight her battles and give her anything she wants either.

I also like that this story shows that being whisked away to nobility isn't exactly a cake walk. You don't just get a ton of money and get to sit around all day (for the most part). If a country or empire is going to remotely be running correctly, you're expected to be well educated in various subjects and prepared to help your family. Women of the house manage the estate and employees, men the territories (roughly--MC being the heir is learning typically what "men" learn), and their children are all expected to pick up these skills. While it is fun to also read wish fulfillment stories where the MC's problems all get solved by money and status, you still have responsibilities as a noble and people you are in charge of. One wrong move and you would have wiped out entire towns and villages, or you'd end up dying in battle. If the MC just got a bunch of fancy dresses and status without any work on her part just because her long lost father wanted to spoil her and give her whatever she wanted, the story wouldn't really be called "Cinderella Wasn't Me". Not to say I don't also like those stories too though, lol, because I do. This just makes for a nice change of pace :)

Soara, 81ganzy, Shimozuki Yue and 7 others like this.
  8. babayagu

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for taking the time to clarify it. It does make the situation clearer and the plot a bit more mature. I think it is exactly like you've said it - it is ultimately a matter of personal taste. While these details made me appreciate the story more from a technical and narrative point of view, as far as enjoyment and personal appreciation goes, it still feels like lackluster, though not the fault of anybody else but personal taste. You made a lot of good points that I am not going to address due to overcrowding of the thread, but yes, I can understand how the FL's relationship with her father is realistic and relatable to some. I guess it boils down to what we all look for in novels - escapism and idealization, or realism and relatability, and in my case, it is the former.

All in all, your reply has helped me better understand the chain of events, as well as change my opinion on the novel as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2022
    ellieedeean likes this.
  9. charisa

charisa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any spoilers on cute fluffy moments btw fl and ml?

JimmyFalcon and yaya2675 like this.
  10. beazacha

beazacha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any spoilers about how her plans will play out in more detail? Cause rn looks vague af and that's my favorite aspect of revenge plots.

Also we get it, some people here have daddy issues, but 6 of the 8 pages is basically complaining about it is too much :facepalm:

11. DOHere

DOHere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw, how did she fail the test when she's so smart? Thanks!

81ganzy, JimmyFalcon and Boopbup like this.
  12. Zzdarkrosezz

Zzdarkrosezz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imperial/Noble corruption essentially from what I’ve read so far.

Boopbup and DOHere like this.
  13. DOHere

DOHere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That explains why she thought she was dumb. Thank you!

Have you finished the novel? I'm also curious if she ends up as an empress (her husband, ML becoming emperor) or a duchess (succeeding her father)?

Boopbup likes this.
  14. Zzdarkrosezz

Zzdarkrosezz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah dude. I unfortunately can’t read Korean. In chapter 3 of the comic the teacher told her “Corruption of the Imperial Palace is nothing new.” When she told her that she kept failing. I took a guess from there.

Boopbup likes this.
  15. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Rogue01

Rogue01 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I ask?? What is MC's reaction when she found out what the ML is truly like??

17. ganqing

ganqing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    when she found out that he was able to talk and walk she was furious and threatened to kill him.

Rogue01 likes this.
  18. Rogue01

Rogue01 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    WAAAAHHH REALLY !!!! . She's so SAVAGE but I like it .

Thank you for the spoiler. ☺️☺️☺️

ganqing likes this.
  19. cometothedarkside97

cometothedarkside97 Unleash Your Imagination

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone have any spoilers after manhwa chapter 20? Been through 9 pages of people fighting...

Sherlockisk, gametv, beeznuts and 4 others like this.
  20. Imfictophilia

Imfictophilia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you know something about cesios aide, the one who helps him with wheelchair, i dont like him at all since he told cesio to eliminate rihan duchy and he always looks at terryl in sus sight, i wanna know spoiler about him or when he will respect her

Boopbup likes this.