Question World Of Cultivation worldbuilding.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Heian Daojiu, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Heian Daojiu

Heian Daojiu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can someone help me understand the structure of Jie, are they continents? they seem pretty large, it takes a Ningmai cultivator months to cross even a small jie like sky moon jie.

Why can one only exit a Jie from the jie river? are there space boundaries around Jie?
    are Jie rivers oceans? cause damn those things are huge.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been so long since I read world of cultivation but the rule of thumb for any cultivation novel is their worlds are unusually big, a cultivator can take a journey of years (I mean a lot it from dozens to hundreds) just to go from A city to B city.

Heian Daojiu likes this.
  3. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah think of the as continents or small planets and the rivers are spatial tunnels or pathways

Heian Daojiu likes this.
  4. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm.... Is it really explainable? umm chinese stuff are really hard to put it into words.... Except maybe for the author

5. NoLongerTheSame

NoLongerTheSame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking of massive (an understatement) worlds, CC & IET are so fond of this. It's easier to imagine them if you compare humans to ants...or tardigrades on this Earth. Lmao.

6. lafiel11

lafiel11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you read Kubera ? It's what I imagine the Waterways are, placed that connect different lands.

Heian Daojiu likes this.
  7. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It has been a long time since I read it, but I think jies had a similar concept to different worlds or planes of existence while jie rivers were more like wormholes. Some jies have multiple rivers while others might only have one. Rivers might exist right next to each other in a jie or they might be separated by the whole jie. There is no actual physical measurement for distance between jies. A jie is "close" if there are relatively few jie rivers between them.

At any rate, it's a good idea to ignore all numbers when reading a Chinese novel. Many authors just pull numbers out of their *ss. In one of the novels I'm reading, object X was created 10 years ago and was held by person A for 7 years. In the next sentence, it was give to person B who has had it for 6 years. How does that math work? It doesn't! Don't let it strain your brain.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    Heian Daojiu likes this.
  8. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    About the *sspul numbers in CN, the best example I can think of were a 'scene' in Stellar Transformations where the MC forged a weapon for years in front of an audience.

Also, Er Gen love numbers (tall, wide, sum, etc).