Discussion Oneshots & Short Stories

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by raza10, Aug 6, 2021.

?

Do you read short stories/oneshots?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sometimes

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  1. raza10

raza10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello there, just wants to have some discussion about oneshots and short stories.

What are your thoughts on short stories and oneshots or do you prefer a full blown novels?:blobninja:

I prefer a novels with more than 60+ chapters which I deemed an adequate length for a story with good plot or character development (just my opinion) :blobReach: and I also stay away from novels with more than 1000+ chapters which I think becoming more boring, repetitive and redundant as the chapters goes on. (again just my opinion but some gems is definitely not the case):blobspy:

But sometimes I've stumbled on some shorts that I'm glad I don't skipped reading because of the length of chapter: My hero (Oneshots) and Our second master (less than 10 chapters) which is why I think I'm missing a good chunk of good story from these shorts.

Have you read some short stories that feels like, I'm glad I read this,:cookie: its definitely worth the read, this oneshot is just enough, no need to have more chapters. Please recommend some. (All genres are welcomed):blobowoevil:

Happyman0512 likes this.
  2. TheLastAeon

TheLastAeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, honestly I don't think i have read many oneshot series. But the one i have read is all masterpiece(at least to me). I have always searching a good oneshot but haven't found much. This is one of the best oneshot series i have ever read in NU.
    About the Reckless Girl Who Kept Challenging a Reborn Man Like Me

raza10 likes this.
  3. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oneshots and short stories are nice. Many of them are tragedies, but many others are cute fluffy stories (some with plot, mind you).

They're perfect when I wanna read a full story in ~30 mins or something!

4. evanesco99211

evanesco99211 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love them. I mean, there are so many stories that are ongoing or on hiatus, and that irks me a lot. Hence, reading spoilers, one-shots, and short stories are my main methods to soothe my broken heart :blobsob:

raza10 likes this.
  5. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I remember that one shot from yoraikun translation site.... It is good novel break from all the action and violence from my reading list

raza10 likes this.
  6. raza10

raza10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. I feel you. It's hard to find good oneshots nowadays. Thank you for the rec I remember reading that too.

Really? Mind giving some recommendations cause I don't think I've read any tragedy short stories. Tq

Hey same for me ongoing novels really challenge my patience but it's worth the wait. :)

TheLastAeon likes this.
  7. rushi12

rushi12 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i like them. my mind would not nag me to think what will happen next !

raza10 likes this.
  8. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find that I prefer the meatier experience; books where the characters get to grow and where the setting can be built up and be highly detailed. That said, I do appreciate shorter fiction a lot and I wish that I would be able to read it more often. Even in the longer novels I still love the little vignettes that work much like short fiction in that they're largely self-contained stories.

Oh, and what's with "oneshot"? It's a phrase that makes sense for manga because the expectation is that it's supposed to be a serial work. But in fiction we already have plenty of terms for this: short story, novelette, and novella for the different lengths.

raza10 likes this.
  9. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some stories are good precisely because they are one-shots
    For angst and pain, one-shots are the blessings of gods for me. It's the perfect length. Not enough angst for me to spiral into any dark thoughts but not being drowned by fluff either for me to forget the angst.

10. Czennie

Czennie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think oneshots stick more to one genre than actual novels which aim for more than one genre and that's what makes them beautiful. I haven't read many oneshot novels I doubt I've read any at all but if I'd have to say I've read hella lot of one shot manga (often tragedy)

raza10 likes this.
  11. Sachi00

Sachi00 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really like oneshots/vignettes/short stories/whatever you want to call it XD. Sometimes it’s just as a palate cleanser, but I also find that short stories are really memorable and life changing in unexpected ways! I really like humor ones, but I’ll read practically anything if the premise is interesting enough. One great thing about oneshots too, is that even if you end up a little meh about it, you didn’t waste much time. I know that with very long chaptered stories I can have a hard time stopping even if I’m not really enjoying it.

raza10 likes this.
  12. MechaTalon

MechaTalon Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not really experienced with one-shots but I read them from time to time. They are a good kind of break from the usual hype building and goes to show that simple stories go a long way.

Btw I read this one shot long ago about this hero lady making sweets? I think the title was [I though you said there was Candy?] but it was one of the best I read.

raza10 likes this.
  13. Happyman0512

Happyman0512 THE HEAVENLY LAZY GOD , LAZI-GHTENED SLACKER

Reading List:
    Link
    well oneshots are something which is awesome
    and there many oneshots and short stories(including manga) which was created by authors who had created many famous manga and novels

raza10 likes this.
  14. Lil Iyana

Lil Iyana {Blink} {Army} {Once} {In love with cute animals}

Reading List:
    Link
    Oneshots make me anxious to wait for the manhwa/manga/manhua, N when the manhwa/manga/manhua gets released, I get preety disappointed because of the art. So then I have to read the novels to keep going.

raza10 likes this.
  15. raza10

raza10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. That's one of its strong points

Oh, you're right. That's why oneshots is pretty straightforward, they often maintain with the intended plot.

Thanks. I forgot about this one. Will reread it again

Haha I could relate. The characters are more awesome in our mind .;)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  16. Novel Monster

Novel Monster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing I like about oneshots and short stories is that I can cry.
    My favourite tragic ending short story is You Must Pity Me. I cry everytime I remember it. I like to reread the last chapter so much. Those people didn't deserve her anyway. I just wish that she is now happy.
    And my favourite romance short story is Mulberry Song. This love is as painful and beautiful as it can be.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  17. Sunspawn

Sunspawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some tragedy oneshots that I really liked:

A game to make him fall / The probability I can kill my wife without being found one - These are two oneshots from the point of view of a husband and wife pair that married because of their parents' business relations, essentially. I read the husband's pov first, but in hindsight the order doesn't matter, since both fill in the missing parts of the other side. It ends on a happy note, but the characters go through some unpleasant stuff first.

The heroes must die - A twist on the usual "band of heroes defeat demons" trope, no one really comes out clean and happy out of this story.

Onee-chan will become a hero and save the world! - It's isekai, only that the focus is mostly on the aftermath of the protagonist beating the demon head honcho and how her and her siblings' (and a great many people after them) lives get fucked up by evil politicians, essentially.

Flowers and Skulls - Dude falls in love with an ill girl (who was his classmate in school) and decides he wants to take care of her until she dies. Eventually she dies. If you understand the unstated reason for her dying faster than she should have, you have my sympathy.

Welcome back, my dear - Dude decides to clone his dead wife, ends up changing his mind at the last moment. Years later, his son brings his girlfriend to meet his dad...

There are a whole bunch more, if you want specifically tragedy shorts, just filter for completed stories with the tragedy tag and a single-digit max chapter number.

raza10 likes this.
  18. raza10

raza10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg. Thank you for the recs.:aww: I will surely give them a read. I'm grateful from your reply made my day:LOL:

19. AgeNtSaRcaS

AgeNtSaRcaS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly i think oneshots are underrated. Ik they are not the best but they are still smth
    I hold your voice alone under the starry sky - Oneshot LN , 4 chapters
    3 days of happiness- LN again , good story and good writing by the author. Check out other works from the author those are pretty good too
    There are some fluff novels too which you can find using series finder, that's how i found these hehe

20. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Short stories are no better or worse than long stories. I just prefer longer ones because I read to kill time.

That said, ridiculous story concepts are almost always better off written as short one-arc if not one-chapter stories. I think most "face-slapping" novels in particular would have been much better off under 50 chapters, or even under 20 chapters. In fact, there was a manga (and novel too I assume?) about a villainess literally punching the fiancee in the face in the first chapter. I gave it a full rating and ignored the rest of the story since that was more than enough to satisfy me.