LCD Back to the Sixties: Farm, Get Wealthy & Raise the Cubs

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by SerialBeggar, Sep 15, 2021.

1. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/back-to-the-sixties-farm-get-wealthy-raise-the-cubs/

[​IMG]

I'm really surprised there wasn't an LCD for this novel. I've seen it gushingly recommended several times in the past year. Well, I gotta say, people were right. This is a really good read.

With the premise of being transmigrated into a novel with a setting of a very rural, farming village during the late '60s Communist China, I thought it would be depressing. Especially because she was occupying the body of a young wife character who's purpose in the story was to establish the background for her 3 son's future, twisted villainous mentality due to her abusive neglect. They would be the primary stepping stones for the story's MC to kill on his way to glory. Her character would meet tragedy and betrayal, and ultimately leading to her death. Of course, she didn't want to die.

There's only 700 chapters in this novel and the first third of it is about her DAILY life (this is a slice of life story) over several years as she raised her sons while taking great care of her them and her husband's health. In the story of the novel she's in, her husband's death from overwork was the first turning point where everything fell apart for her character.

For the second third of the novel, she had made her way to Beijing with her family as the Communist Reform was beginning. She's doing her best to earn money to expand her business "empire" with the goal of buying up as much land as possible while it's still cheap. Her filial sons are in college and starting to decide what they're going to do afterwards.

At this point, we're at the final third of the novel. She and her husband are pretty well off. Most of the nephews and nieces they brought to Beijing to uplift are doing well. I'm really curious on where the author will go from here.

The translations is fair. Looks kind of like MTL and really could do with a good proof reader, but it's acceptable. Storywise, the MC is pretty Mary Sue. Other than a few two dimensional antagonists that hate her for not favoring them, she really doesn't have any obstacles in the story. Not even with her businesses. he MC has enough sass to brow-beat everybody. There also a bit of repetition with people praising her, but it's scattered around enough not to be overbearing.

If I had to summarize my feelings about this novel, it would be that it feels like a low calorie soap opera. It's interesting enough that you'll want to keep reading to see how it goes, but there's nothing profound about it. That said, I did glean from it some stuff regarding filial piety practices that I didn't know before.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    ThisValkyrie and Hiimin like this.
  2. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    Ch-514
    I feel rather bad for Xu Sheng Mei. I know that her character is supposed to be a villain, but if you look beyond her scheming and manipulations, she was just trying to improve her own family. Her cousins were mostly passive by following her 4th uncle and his wife's plans. She wanted things to happen a bit quicker, so she made her own opportunities and grabbed them. Really, aside from Lin Qing He, she's the only family member who was willing to take a step out on their own in an attempt to forge their own path. Everyone else have been dependent of Lin Qing He to guide them. Unfortunated, she was fated by the author's divine hand that she is blocked and humiliated at every turn. It's really sad.

3. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    Ch-522:
    Zhou Kai lost half of the squad he's the team leader of and he's so carefree in this chapter, like they're just numbers to him. And to pretty much everyone else, it seems.

4. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the soap opera in novel.
    I like it, but not gonna read the capital part again, or after they move to the 80s lol
    Just stay in the 60s and 'the end' is alr very good imo

5. Renzy

Renzy 『⚓』『JackOfAllTrades』『7years』

Reading List:
    Link
    Im pretty much some of you might be confused on the husband's side of the family.. they are consist of 3 daughters and 4 sons..
    1st and 2nd are girls.. 3rd - 6th sons (4th son is Zhou Qing Bai).. 7th child is a girl which is close with the Female lead..

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  6. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    Ch-552
    And there it is.

7. SerialBeggar

Reading List:
    Link
    Ch-553
    Reading about Lin Qing He having persistent morning sickness reminds me of a (non-Asian) former coworker. She said that someone gave her some of those Chinese heavily salted, preserved plum snacks and they really worked to quell her queasiness. Has anyone tried this?