Discussion Do long novels put you off reading?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Isaac20, Jun 13, 2021.

?

How many chapters in a book can you tolerate?

1. 1 - 100

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. 100 - 200

18 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. 200 - 500

21 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. 500 - 1000

18 vote(s)
    16.8%
  5. 1000+

44 vote(s)
    41.1%
  6. 10,000+

4 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest I've always avoided novels with too many chapters, mainly because I don't have that much energy and free time to read until the end, especially if the translation is still ongoing. I'm not sure if I could commit to read the next chapter every time it's out.

However, it may still depend on how interesting the story is. I'm currently reading an ongoing novel that's updated once a week, and I don't think about dropping it because I've been hooked.

Isaac20 likes this.
  2. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I like long ones, but it's hard to not drop before end. I think for most people the bad about long novels are the decrease in quality and fillers. However, I did see people don't wanting to read One Piece because are a few chapters/episodes.

Isaac20 likes this.
  3. Hoodychan

Hoodychan Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It really depends on how long the chapters are and how invested I am in the novel.
    So far the ones I’ve read were below 200 so I think it’s a good number.
    Also, if I find the author dragging the story in an unnecessary way I drop it (like suddenly introducing unnecessary side characters or adding filler events).
    The novel author should make a story interesting enough and complete enough that it does not need millions of chapters to just show that the two main characters end up together or show that the main character won.
    There better be a great story twist or else I won’t waste my time with the novel :blobsweat:

Isaac20, Sabruness and Owl Escapee like this.
  4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I naturally gravitate towards stories that take a long time to build up. These require long books for the development to feel natural so yeah, I read a lot of them. To be fair, "long" can still mean a lot of different things, and there is a thing such as too long. When I'm really engrossed in a book I will generally read around 1 - 1.5 million words a week so it's got to be something special to warrant anything over 5 million words or so.

Also, standard disclaimer about how chapter count is a poor way of talking about length, yadda yadda.

Isaac20 and Owl Escapee like this.
  5. Vermouth

Vermouth Older but none the wiser.

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually like (and prefer) 1000+ chapter novels because I enjoy the expansive worldbuilding, and the depth and intricacy that the plot is able to achieve. Character development is a plus too, I guess.

For long, bloated webnovels, I admittedly do tend to skim the parts I don’t really like or care about.

Even reading Western fantasy fiction, I prefer the long, epic fantasies spanning multiple books.

6. Aniv2008

Aniv2008 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The longest novel I've read is The Legendary Master's Wife (730-ish)... and I had to take like 3 breaks to finish it. Like the novel but really wayyyyy long. I start to lose my patience at about 250 and need to read something else to refresh my mind.

7. dysprove

dysprove New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I typically stay away from any novels with 1000+ chapters since all the ones I've tried I didn't like.

Isaac20 and Sabruness like this.
  8. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer 1000+, cause in the genre I read only those tend to be more invested and really thought through.

But if it crosses 3000 then it's just word count tactics so I avoid those.

Isaac20 likes this.
  9. Owl Escapee

Owl Escapee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the same for me. I started reading it when there was maybe 300 chaps translated, so reading it as new chaps came out didn't feel as hard, but if I saw it with the full 730 chaps, I never would have started it lol.

BL novels even cultivation novels are just a lot shorter, so it changes our perception of what a "long" novel is. If it's over 1000 chapters, I definitely wouldn't read it.

Isaac20 and Aniv2008 like this.
  10. berrybarrel

berrybarrel Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably when it reaches the 500 chapters mark :D

Isaac20 likes this.
  11. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I only read 1200 chapters of one novel.. so I can't vote for 10,000+ LOL
    Like I don't think the long novel put off reading it's more like if I have to wait for the TL to translate them all or MTL it then yeah lot of chapters are daunting.
    Not urging TLs to rush, but I can be pretty impatient & rather binge than wait every month for a chapter update since I kind of feel like waiting for each chapter can ruin the pacing for me.......... But MTL is not always enjoyable for me & also can ruin the story.

Isaac20 likes this.
  12. mikola7946

mikola7946 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually don't read JP / KR novels because I don't like the kind and naive protagonists. Almost all novels without tags "Naive Protagonist", "Indecisive Protagonist", "Misunderstandings", "Playful Protagonist", "Child Protagonist" are Chinese novels with 1000+ chapters.

Isaac20 likes this.
  13. Darlence

Darlence Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I will read it as long as it has engaging plot really.

Isaac20 likes this.
  14. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends. generally, 1000 proper sized chapters is my soft limit (which roughly equates to 3k tiny chapters common to CN webnovels).
    even then, the novel has to have not severely declined in quality and readability regarding plot and etc for me to go that far.
    My safe limit (from experience) is about 500 full sized chapters with a little bit of leeway depending on the novel.

Isaac20 likes this.
  15. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends…if it’s only started getting translated and it has 2000+ I basically ignore it.

Isaac20 likes this.
  16. LadyAmaranthine

LadyAmaranthine Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can read those as long as the plot keeps me going. But if they started to feel boring then I drop them right away.

Isaac20 likes this.
  17. SamStrike

SamStrike Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's interesting I will read it regardeless, if it stops being interesting at some point I will stop reading it. The number of chapters doesn't really matter.

Isaac20 likes this.
  18. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isaac20 and Agentt like this.
  19. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depend on the story, I can either read until 2000+ chapter or stopped at chapter 2.

firefox1234, Isaac20 and Alexcia like this.
  20. Agentt

Agentt Loves cats and pats and my wife

Reading List:
    Link
    Isaac20 likes this.