Discussion Second Coming of Gluttony-The Mc

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I admit it's a great story with great writing, storytelling, plot and characters but I usually take the mcs side in novels I read, so it's obvious that my memories of this novel aren't that good since I don't like the mc. There's nothing fatally wrong with him, I just don't like several of his actions which sten from his personality. That's why it was a breath if fresh air when black seol jihu showed up since the mc was so dislikeable, to me anyways. I also don't like gula especially after getting her backstory. But a lot if people seem to have no problem ignoring an mc being manipulated, being hero like, being dense without hormones etc.

I would probably rate the SCOG like the Dark Knight but I would like the latter better since I have a personal dislike for the former s mc and happen to like the just joker and several other characters a lot although joker did a lot of unrealistic things movies have done a lot worse (like teleportation in a non superpowered world, one minute the bad guy is 1 metre away, next moment he's disappeared when there's no where to hide) , u guess SCOG is liked since it's different and a breath if fresh air from ordinary novels but it's really not when you look at it, it's like every shounen ever with a darker theme, several annoying abusive/manipulative female characters etc. I suppose it's only selling point is character growth from trash to a dense but somewhat competent mc.

And it has the nerve to put the sub antagonist Sung shiyun juxtaposition as a pervert harem seeking entitled mc when he's just as bad but on the other end of the spectrum. It's really the manipulation that bothers me along with the mcs personality. Due to the mc I wouldn't reread this novel ever.

NikuMeat likes this.
  2. onnyfp

onnyfp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, I personally don't really like the MC of SCOG too. But why are you comparing it to a Batman Film? It's too different.

anotherAniket likes this.
  3. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you already mentioned Black Seol Jihu was the needed change.

My biggest problem with SCOG were villains. The only competent one (before Shisomething guy turned coat) is the dragon and the other quirky 6 minibosses were morons given divine batteries and near godmode status, and respawn.

Talk about sad, pig teammates man. And the "Parasite Queen" is such a blatant Starcraft QoB Kerrigan ripoff its not even funny.

4. NikuMeat

NikuMeat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Couldnt agree more to that.. been dropping that novel long time ago.. I guess the author is just lucky to have his novel become popular i mean check his other novel MEMORIZE where the mc is super pervert inside his head like all he can possibly think is sex.
    I guess SCOG is the peak of what that author can do.

5. Kin_

Kin_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoyed SCOG so much that i used to look at the page everyday at the release hour. That being said, once it ended i couldnt help but think that Seol jihu as a character was filled with bad writing and inconsistencies and that i would truly love to see Black seol story even thought everyone knows the end.

thats was the whole point of Sung as a character no? to laugh about the asshole mc harem protagonist on the other side of the road

6. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just what's fresh in my mind, rewatched it a while ago. It's just in the basis of rereading it they aren't really comparable

Exactly it was hinted from day one, he's the alternate mc who strayed from the "righteous path" but like I said they are both text book mcs just different categories, the pervert vs the dense, the manipulated vs the over the too mc who does things his way even when it doesn't make sense but gets by because he's strong, the comparisons continue but point is, seol jihu us no better than him as a textbook mc template.