A good example and a Warning

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Success and achievements don't cure mental health issues.
    I really hate how it is portrayed in the media that a romantic relationship is a magic cure for mental health problems.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58672237

"Getting to the Olympics wasn't just a magical cure for all of this."

2. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I become an Olympian medalist this instant, then that sure would help somehow. I honestly don't see any downside from that.

FIEND, Xxsafirex and otaku31 like this.
  3. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what if you got silver and you live in a society where no one cares unless you're number one? You gunna get nightmares about losing to the gold medalist your entire life.

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the point is one cannot cite one example and apply it as a yardstick to the entire human race. People's response to success or contentment may be diverse as their personalities.

5. Bachingchung

Reading List:
    Link
    Fortunately we live on a society where Silver Medalists are also considered as heroes. Some 1st world country even provide housing & citizenship for these medalists if they're from a war-stricken country. So no downside there.

6. Trusfrated_Bunny

Trusfrated_Bunny Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who lives an society like that I agree. Its always only this much? Why not a 100%? Or only sliver? Why not gold? Its annoying and along the way you kind of stop trying to please people because you know that they wouldn't appreciate your effort anyway and then they are like "oh you used to be so and so why at you like this now!"

7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude you must be living under a rock.
    I have read so many stories of Asians committing suicides because they got an A-

You missed my point.
    I am saying if one has a mental issue, success is not a cure.
    I am not talking about how healthy people respond to success.

It's apples to oranges.

Eg a suicidal person won't become cured if they win a medal

You missed my point.
    I am saying if one has a mental issue
    Yeah, its dangerous.
    You have kids whose entire self worth is grades.
    They end up emotionally crippled.
    No emotional growth either as they don't develop social connections

8. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. Define what you consider mental health issues. How much and how bad? You cited one example and said:

Success and achievements don't cure mental health issues.
    I really hate how it is portrayed in the media that a romantic relationship is a magic cure for mental health problems.

Not 'may not' but 'do not'. For me, at least, accomplishment noticeably eased my severe anxiety issues and I feel like I'm in a much better state now then I was a few years ago. That's why I said it may not be the same for all.

9. Bachingchung

Reading List:
    Link
    I never said it's a cure, I said it would help. Once the idea is there, there's no going back. It only takes an average of 10 min for one to decide if they really want to complete, so an A- is just a shallow misconception of the real issue.

otaku31 likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn !!! damn ! Damn!

I didn't really watch her in anything but she was ubiquitous. Impossible to miss.

I was looking up student suicides and came across this.

I thought it was Hirose Ryoko for a second since she is also 40

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/05/world/asia/japan-suicide-celebrities.html

Complete?
    A distinction is important.
    Everyone gets depressed but it is not the same as clinical depression.
    It has to be debilitating

11. Bachingchung

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a politically correct term, or a better term used by those who were left by their loved ones.

12. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't mean to be a stick in the mud but time and place dude, this is a platform for weeb like creatures to discuss novels, anime, manga and related things. It's not the place for this.

13. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    If I became the next Elon musk I don’t see why it wouldn’t cure my crippling depression and super power to instant kill myself at any time

14. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, mine wasn't exactly simple depression either, but I don't feel comfortable talking about what I went through here. But like I said, it got noticeably better after I achieved some measure of modest success in life. Not cured, but definitely better.

Wujigege likes this.
  15. CardOne4All

CardOne4All Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They posted it in General chat and there are way more posts with such a theme so I don’t see a problem.

Deleted member 348269 likes this.
  16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I love Sei Ashina and she is also dead.
    Anime fans should know Haruma Miura. I thought he was the actor from Black Butler for a second. No relief though. Still bad

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...se-actor-miura-dies-in-suspected-suicide.html

Miura, originally from Ibaraki Prefecture, entered the profession as a child actor. He subsequently featured in television dramas such as "Bloody Monday," "Last Cinderella" and the "Gokusen" series.
    appeared in a number of movies including "Attack on Titan," "Eien no Zero" (Eternal Zero), "Kimi ni Todoke" (From Me to You), and "Koizora" (Sky of Love),

I am going to chew a honey apple to improve my mood and go back watching Ugly Alert.
    This is why I avoid the news

Misogyny should be a hate crime

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/23/uk/sabina-nessa-murder-london-gbr-intl/index.html

Please be nice to people. You don't know what they are going through

otaku31 likes this.
  17. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, money kinda helps tho. You can pay a good psychiatrist. The rest of us just buy chocolate to cure depressive moods.

Otherwise, the human brain is self-destructive for some reason. Even if everything is going great and there are no problems in your life, it'll make up a struggle for you. And then you get the so-called 'first world problems'. Cause you can't just be happy all the time /s.

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link

Sadly, thanks to stigma people don't usually seek professional help.

People think wearing clothes with words like " I Want To Die" cures suicidal thoughts

19. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not surprised. So much pressure to reach the top best. Some places worse, but no matter where its always somewhere there. People put pressure on them to win and they get idolized if they do, but some also get really mad if athletes or whoever is competing lost..some fans can be like that too.. do they even care for that person or just the trophy? Simone Biles got lot of flak for withdrawing some parts of the Olympics. I don't recall whole lot but it was due to her mental health. I read somewhere Phelps also retired early so can work on mental health for athletes.

That said everyone is different. Some see accomplishment as something that can slowly help them out of it bit by bit. It won't help all, but maybe some.

Mental health is hard and often overlooked even thu its a serious concern. Winning things may not make it go away because it may be something deeper or need more help to treat it, depending on person and their environment too. There does need be more mental health awareness, regardless athlete or not.

otaku31 and Wujigege like this.
  20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    This video is filled with people attacking the journalist for suggesting that people seek treatment from professionals instead of wearing "magical clothes"

I was also attacked in the comments. I am insulting people's culture because I am telling people to seek help. I suggested trying to get free treatment from NGOs, free clinics, teaching hospitals etc.
    People feel it is too expensive and I am insulting their country by suggesting NGOs.
    Given that the alternative can be suicide, it is not very expensive.

Although you can have the opposite problem, in the US, I was prescribed anti-depressants for my appendicitis. Totally messed my head up while I was in college.

Luckily for me, my next-door neighbor was a paramedic, I crawled to her door and was taken in her van to the hospital