The sad state of a Patreon trap novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by zanari, Sep 24, 2021.

1. zanari

zanari Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So the story start with me, a webnovel connoisseur, finishing all the novels on my reading list and hunting for something new, looked around for a bit and found a candidate called "Savage Divinity".

I read the synopsis and liked what i saw, blitzed through the first 50 chapter and it was 7-8/10 and i still have 700 more chapters before catching up so I'm hyped at that moment, but my spider sense kicked in and all the ugly mental scares i had from long novels turning to shit midway started to itch and I decided to check the reviews and oh boy, those section is properly fucked, with long time readers bombing the novels and reviews getting updated with lower scores with a sprinkle of people so frustrated they made an account just for that review.

It all boils down to the author starting well and getting popular enough to have a good Patreon crowd supporting him, then instead of playing it smart and making the best story he can which will make him even more popular and probably massively boots the start of his next work if he decided to continue as an author, he went on the safe downward slop of padding the ever loving shit out of his novel in order to coast on the monthly income as long as possible, effectively trying to milk the cash cow for all it's worth.

any other novel/author you have come across that went this way?

2. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    That's from Royal Road right? I used to love it but then tournament arc came, also too much fluff. That was probably before Patreon, or at least before Patreon mattered.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6039390/Parcasious
    This guy is just attrocious, he writes Fate crossovers that are overpopular on ffnet. He's using Chinese tropes, cliches and word count padding. His interaction with readers begins and ends with thanking new Patreons.

3. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    a good tournament arc is no tournament arc

WFNT, firefox1234 and Jojo775 like this.
  4. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    You say that but it is still smart - there is no way to tell how his new story will be received, on the other hand he is getting a pretty decent 2.6k per month by milking the story. When this cow starts drying up, he can deliver a good ending and rebuild interest for the next story. Sure, his name will be stained with the milking for a long time but eh big deal

Jojo775 likes this.
  5. OhCmmon

OhCmmon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The only original novel that I remotely touch is Paragon of Sin which has a decent author with a decent locked chapter policy.
    As for the others, they are either too shit or too greedy (usually both).

6. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure this pays more than just sticking with quality and slower updates. Readers like myself would stop following as soon as this CN webnovel bullshit starts.
    It's not like he's being forced by his contract for the publisher to dish out 20k words a month.
    I made up that number, for a professional web author it's not really a lot(though it's better if they switch stories to not bore themselves to death) but if it's a hobby then it is a lot.
    Some great fanfiction authors even do 30k a month without sacrificing quality...

If it pays better then why don't Japanese authors do it?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    Ddraig likes this.
  7. Owl1412

Owl1412 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I knew that an author was a “sell-out” that doesn’t mind sacrificing the quality of their novel, I would probably never read another one of their works ever again. It’s one thing to not know how to write, it’s another to purposely drag out what could have been a good story for money. I get it, bills need to be paid, but I also don’t want to be disappointed. Also I do care about integrity; how much research and effort and care did they put in? I dislike quick cash grabs that are just riding a trend

8. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally agree, I wont read such a story just like I dont read most of the CN xianxia stuff here. Turns out though that the majority of the user base here doesnt care though - there is a reason the popular list of nu is such a joke. I do not see why it would be so much different over on rrl since there is plenty of overlap between both userbases.

Still idk, it probably is a dumb decision but when do humans ever make smart long term decisions?

Jojo775 likes this.
  9. Avitue

Avitue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is sadly a common spectacle on Royal Road. I can vouch for that since I frequent there myself and am even a writer with patreon there.

Zero plans for milking though, my vision is for a fantasy series that would form...

Uh...

What's the equivalent word for Trilogy but for a series of Ten books if anybody knows?

10. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you think you earn the same, more or less by keeping it real?
    Just apply greek numerals, decatology.
    That's just another reason why humanity isn't worth saving. We should bash them or something, get rich and buy plane tickets to go around the world beating up stupid people like Jay and Silent Bob, we should also beat up Silent Bob since he became a wuss IRL. He should've stayed silent.

Avitue likes this.
  11. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually most would just refer to it as 10-part series. But Decalogy maybe? I cant think of an alt word like say quartet for 4.

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q14849523
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/decalogy

Avitue likes this.
  12. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be a decology (thank google and reddit for the answer: https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/b0a4iw/terms_used_to_describe_the_number_of_books_in_a/ )

A good few years back (before patreons were as common as they are now), i read this sci-fi mecha novel on RR. It wasnt like top quality literature but it was good enough for what it was. At first, the author was pretty cool (chatting regularly in the comments with readers) and the novel pottered along nicely for about, i think it was 90 chapters. Then the first great hiatus happened and the author disappeared for a few months. No biggie to most of the reader base as sometimes life just hits you.

Now, first a little context before the next bit. The author had once mentioned that he eventually wanted to publish this novel series (and wanted to write 20 volumes of the novel). Again, no big deal and was a pretty cool goal to see the author aiming for.

So, one day the author returns, apologizes and begins releasing chapters again regularly for maybe a couple of months. It is then announced that the novel would be cleaned up, edited and be entering Kindle Unlimited but that it would not affect the ongoing release of chapters (this was somewhere in the in-progress release of volume 3).

Then hiatuses started happening again and chapter releases began to dry up with a cycle of hiatus, apology and a few chapters released then another hiatus. After a while, the first volume was removed due to the KU deal. by the time of volume 4 chapters starting to be released on RR, It began to come increasingly clear that the author seemed to be so obsessed with publishing his novel officially that the chapter and story quality began to obviously nosedive. After yet another abrupt hiatus and the story quality nosediving into basement, the remaining (quite disappointed) readership gave up and the novel, i guess, vanished into obscurity and at some point was removed from RR completely.

Avitue and Jojo775 like this.
  13. Avitue

Avitue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a common tale for authors who go KU. Screw exclusivity contracts.

My own plan is to mostly stick to RR+Patreon, with amazon/smashwords publishing for finished books (no exclusivity clause so I can keep them online). I swore to myself that I *Will* keep my work available for free online one way or another.

As for earning... I live in South East Asia. If I make as little as 300$ monthly off my novel? That's enough for me to quit my job and go full time writing, so I have much lower expectations for money. XD

Sabruness and Jojo775 like this.
  14. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Go for it but maybe get a part time job, just so you have a decent CV and your life does not become monotonous. I know fanfic authors who earn over 1000€ a month. That's 1170$ in current conversion.

Avitue likes this.
  15. Avitue

Avitue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm 36, and to be honest I'm kinda sick of the local job market which treated employees like slaves. To be honest, depending on how things go next month I might make the leap to go full time writing right then and there.

Writing wise, fortunately I lean to *long* works to begin with, so to adjust to RR and patreon I just did a simple adjustment. I chopped the novel into chapters roughly 1.6k word each and post them daily. :D

Jojo775 likes this.
  16. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not really interested in originals, but I do like longfics that go forever! I will at least check your RR profile if you link it.

17. Avitue

Avitue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, here is my profile: https://www.royalroad.com/profile/195931

Fwiw though, my current novel won't be that long as its one of my shorter planned books. Only going to be around 300k words when I finish it.

Jojo775 likes this.
  18. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems fun, in summary I'd replace enthronment with inauguration, sounds better.

Avitue likes this.
  19. Avitue

Avitue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Enthronement is a specific subset of inauguration, typically used for monarch or religious leaders. It's also commonly called Coronation, but I did not use it because the culture in question did not have crowns as a symbol of their emperor, so enthronement fits better.

Jojo775 likes this.
  20. zanari

zanari Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh i should look up novels there sometime, i don't go to ffnet that much since my first fanfic burned me out good, it was a harry potter one where harry is raised by a loving colloge professors couple and he's a genius and scientific way all the way, capable of reading agendas on the fly and a master manipulator..etc. after the massive suspention of disbelieve it was going well til Hermione got introduced,if mary sue didn't exist this character would be the poster girl for that type. and i just dropped it. currently found another harry potter fanfic on rr called Rebirth in a Magical World and it's pretty decent so far.

i wish some authors understood that it's ok to take breaks for themselves and it's ok to delay releases in order to improve pacing or fix some other issues with the writing, a a slightly delayed well done job beat a rushed patch work every time in my books.
    And it kinda feels that every web novel that tries to purge its roots from the web and go publisher only don't turn out well in the end, same happened to "The Beginning After The End" and i eventually dropped it.

i can respect that, and the published YA/Fantasy genre is so over saturated it's hard to get noticed there, i think some authors forget that having the OG chapters online give their sales a boost or at the very least don't affect them negatively, but i'm also of the mind of do what you must just make sure you can handle the after math.

Avitue likes this.