Chinese [BL] Stars Fall

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by sleepyfoldingfan, May 24, 2021.

1. sleepyfoldingfan

sleepyfoldingfan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    Name:
    你在星光深处
    Raw Link: http://www.jjwxc.net/onebook.php?novelid=3299941
    NU Link: N/A
    Why It Should Get Picked Up:
    tl;dr modern day BL involving special abilities and secret organizations doing human experiment, has good mystery, has very good character development, has manhua and donghua adaptations but the donghua ended with cliffhanger and doesn't seem like it'd have a second season, not on MTL websites

This novel has been adapted to manhua and donghua, but I cannot find translations of manhua and novel in English, so everything I mention below would be based on watching donghua alone.

To briefly describe, the story began when MC and his best friend experienced a car crash. He woke up to find ML, who was a new bodyguard arranged for him by his dad, sitting by his bed, and from then on the ML was always by his side protecting him. MC then discovered that ML had superpower, and later on found out that he himself had special abilities as well, but his father had been trying to keep him in the dark to protect him. He slowly learned about special abilities, about himself, about secret organizations carrying out researches on people like them, and learned that the car crash was no mere accident.

My favorite part about this story is the characters. Let's start with the ML. He is very protective of MC but shows no sign of unhealthy possessiveness. He has a traumatic past, was labelled a 'killing machine' at one point, but he eventually got through everything and remains a gentle person. He is warm and nice to the MC, but not only to the MC alone, which is something less common in danmei. We can see that he genuinely cares about his mother and his friend as well. For example, when there's a major conflict between his friend and MC, rather than siding with the MC like a stereotypical ML should do, he actually stopped the MC from talking and let his friend explain. We can really see him as a human who protects everyone he cares about, not just a gong who can only think about his shou. ML is also generally calm and mature in dealing with situations and never uses violence more than necessary, despite what he had been through. For these reasons, I find his character interesting and would love to see more of him.

While the ML was strong from the beginning of the story, the MC didn't even know how to use his power at first. Throughout the twelve episodes, we can see his determination to be stronger and to be of help to the ML. We could see that he worked hard and has the most obvious character development in the donghua. Due to a certain reason, the MC can be considered a valuable specimen for those organizations conducting human experiment. Thus, everyone, especially the ML, wanted to keep him protected and far from danger, causing them to hide everything from him. Still, the MC kept expressing his desire to share the burden, both through words and actions. He hated the idea of being the deadweight and put in a lot of effort until he's no longer weak and the ML eventually decided to accept MC's decision. While MC and ML have a sweet and warm relationship, this conflict in opinions caused them to argue from time to time, and I think this issue was handled pretty well. It was constantly explored throughout the story, and we can see both sides gradually compromising as the MC was getting stronger and the ML eventually decided to let MC in. In my opinion, MC and ML are both well-developed as characters, and their relationship also shows significant development, despite the romance being absent in donghua because of Chinese censorship.

Surprisingly, neither the MC nor the ML is my favourite character. This doesn't mean that they are boring. It proves that the side characters are very well-developed. I like the fact that side characters are important in this story. All of them actually contribute to the plot, and they are three-dimensional. Each character has something they are really good at, and each has issues to be explored. Female characters are written very well here too. Their decision and contribution are relevant to the plot, and we get to explore their feelings, motives, past and various components that make them well-developed as characters. They do have unique characteristics and play important roles in the story, which is rare in danmei where female characters tend to be under-developed. My favorite character is ML's mother. Without spoiling, I will just say her personality is badass. Her character is fleshed out well and I'm happy the story takes time to explore her regret and shows us how it contributes to her way of thinking, and even to the whole plot. I think the side couple is also worth mentioning. (Since romance is absent in the donghua, it's just my guess that these two are probably a side couple in the original work) It's MC's friend who experienced the car crash with him, and his bodyguard who is ML's friend. The shou has a cute and timid personality. His excessive reliance on MC was a little problematic at first, but in the last episode we could see some character development. We usually saw him whining when the MC was about to leave his room, but in the last episode, he just calmly said goodbye. His character doesn't play much role in the donghua, because he just found out about existence of special abilities in the last couple of episodes. I think his part was just about to start when the donghua ended, so I'd love to read the novel but I can't read Chinese. As for the gong of the side couple, I had a bad impression of him at first. I thought he was too rude and that the relationship between these two could potentially be too toxic, but I was wrong. He just had difficulty expressing his feelings due to some horrible past, and being rude was probably his coping mechanism. We could see his attempt to change, and his relationship with the shou got better by the end of the donghua, though there's still a lot to explore. The two characters showed some development and partial backstory, but they didn't have enough screen time. There are a lot of hints that these two will be further fleshed out later on, so I really hope someone can translate the novel.

Apart from the characters, the mystery in this story was pretty interesting. Since there were many organizations, everyone was on guard against one another, and a lot of times, the main characters didn't know whose work it was when something happened. By the end of the donghua, viewers still didn't know the motives or identities of some particular groups, so I desperately need to read the novel to know what happens next, especially since the last episode ended with an extremely shocking revelation.
    The mysterious guy who seemed to be funding the main antagonist, shown to have phone calls with him throughout the donghua, turned out to be MC's dad!!! Even though he seemed like a nice guy who cared a lot about his son, he's actually the one funding the organisation they had been fighting the whole time??? This cliffhanger is too horrible and I'm praying for a kind-hearted Chinese translator to pass by and save this poor soul QAQ

Sadly, the donghua has ended over a year ago and there's no news of second season. Non-Chinese speakers who want to know what happens after that can only hope someone translates the novel or the manhua to English. This novel is not on MTL websites either. I want to see what happens to all the characters after that, to understand more about their past, and to see how the current mysteries unravel. Most importantly, donghua watchers have never seen what MC's and ML's relationship is actually like due to Chinese censorship. The romance being absent takes a huge part away from the story. I like these characters and I want to learn how they actually feel towards each other in the original work. I really hope some Chinese translators can consider translating this story for people left hanging after watching the donghua.

(I'm sorry it got too long. This is my first time writing a pickup request and I couldn't help feeling that I haven't written enough information. To anyone who reads to this point, thank you so much for your time)

Description: N/A

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    Yuen_XuanLi, Rin717, cxverdas and 5 others like this.
  2. Yakinori

Yakinori Human

Reading List:
    Link
    This seems interesting. Please pick this up!

Haigi and sleepyfoldingfan like this.
  3. Maverynthia

Maverynthia Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I second this

sleepyfoldingfan likes this.
  4. Deleted member 343155

Deleted member 343155 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    The cover is good

5. peanutbl

peanutbl Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. _Puja_

_Puja_ Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can find the donghua on Youtube

It's poorly-done CG. No wonder nobody has heard of it.

8. Rin717

Rin717 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The donghua was interesting! I'm also especially interested in the second CP... This combi is too cute and comical~!!! X3