LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Binder, not Guider. Yeah, it's just kind of ridiculous how blatant the backwards reasoning is. I want Van to be able to use bugs, let's invent a reason for it, no matter how flimsy. I want him to carry Scylla around, they now count as bugs.

2. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's more than just the celebrity aura around Van, a whole dungeon of undead bowed down to Van as its king, and this was before meeting with the Ghouls.

anon likes this.
  3. ZeroR18

ZeroR18 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you know I am like a dog wait for his treats when i see this novel on Latest Discussions my head go like this

me: oooh my food is here (just picture of me as a happy dog) :D
    click the latest discussion don't see any link for the new chapter
    me: huh where is the food? where are my treats? wait there are no treats for today? (now picture of me as a really really sad dog) :(
    that's me every time i click Latest Discussions damn i need to stop thinking Latest Discussions = new chapter :(

Rou, anon, Lucresia and 3 others like this.
  4. Nimorth

Nimorth Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hey :] just my two cents about this topic !
    I think there was a mention that one of the "4 special champions" could tame insects. That could be related to the insect part, couldn't it? but the slime though :/ weird but well !! Death Mage is still the best light novel that exists in our universe.. compare this masterpiece with those strange lightnovels/mangas/anime ... where it's all about the round female bodyparts and banging every gril to get .... and every skill the protagonist uses is called healing .. beside it not actually "healing" anything...
    edit: I checked the wiki for kühl .. there it is stated that it is a amoeba like organism.. maybe the taming is related to it beeing similar to a virus.. or the connection with the life godess' champion or the water or earth one :/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  5. Donce

Donce Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  6. spycho357

spycho357 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Van is probably the first person in history to have multiple guider jobs, they even combined into 1 comprehensive path, his titles like scaled king and binder jobs give him a different angle of positive association, and finally his death magic makes him irresistible to existing spirits and undead. Adding onto that staggering cocktail of shota pheromones is his active skills and abyss. Not many creatures are outside of van's realm of influence. He is accidentally a cult leader, religious figure, emperor, and bane to Alda's faction. Not bad for a kid made of soul fragments and 2 lifetimes of horrific treatment. If you ask me he has been incredibly lenient to his enemies. He ruined the villages built on the former devils nest, removed the walls and fields from the town that killed his mother. Even the soldiers he's killed and resurrected weren't used to kill innocent lives. A few unfortunate Individuals have raised the ire of Van and suffered terribly but largely he has stayed on a more righteous path. Case in point killing evil vampires and evil gods who have preyed on human lives for millennia, bandas actions to protect mei and by extension her family and care takers . I will admit he is absolutely insane, but he has a loose code of ethics he tries to adhere to. This is a complex world with complex characters, the heroes, villains, mobs, monsters, and gods are all properly flawed and easy to judge based on perspective of narration. imagine if this story was told from Heinz or aldas point of view, it would be a radically different story. The fact we could even have this level of discussion about it is amazing.

Rou, CountryMage, grim5000 and 2 others like this.
  7. Prothvar781

Prothvar781 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I shall limit my response to only two points.

One: Van is indeed crazy and everything comes with the limitation of perspective.

Two: I believe we can all agree that the execution of multiple perspective by the author and conveyance of such by Yoshi, instead of losing it mostly in translation, is what makes this a worthy read. World class read in my mind but I also understand perspective would leave many disappointed with the story. Like my nearly 70 years old parents. They wouldn’t get the perspective at all.

DarkZealot and spycho357 like this.
  8. MonitorShotput

MonitorShotput Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guidance doesn't make people think drastically different then they normally do, it just gives those who are comparable with the guider's views an increase in their potential when they follow the guidance. Just like Death Attribute Charm only gives people a more favorable impression of the user if they have an affinity with Death.

It is the "Strengthen Followers" skill that makes all the different groups in Talosheim get along without problems. Once someone falls under the influence of this skill, they will unconsciously consider all others also under the skills effects as their allies in order to ensure their group remains strong.

The fact that Ghouls and Vampires become so fanatical is simple. One of the blessings Vida bestowed on Van before he was reborn on Lamda was Zakkart's residual thoughts and memories. This power, along with the fact that part of Van's soul was originally Zakkart, means the Ghouls and Vampires are most likely having an instinctive reaction to the presence of the father of their races.

Also, the Ghouls treat Van like an adult due to his speech and behavior combined with a general lack of knowledge about his race, and tend to forget he is a child or think he is older then he looks. The fact that Ghouls stop aging when they have their first child and ghoul males look completely different all together make it even more reasonable that they would have trouble realizing the age of a male child of a race that they have never seen before that talks like an adult. It is a racial trait for Ghouls to sleep around to make children. They assumed he was an adult of his race after hearing he saved their Cheif from multiple human adventurers and they backed off once they knew he couldn't make children. I don't know how that would make anyone consider them to be brainwashed into wanting to sleep with him.

Rou likes this.
  9. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    Strengthen Followers is one of the skills that boost the stats of Van's followers, one of. Guidance does what it says on the label, it guides people to alter their views, since you have to already somewhat agree with a guider before it will affect you, most guidance is a very minor change, but Van has several Guider jobs all combined, plus other unheard of before jobs that add to his influence. When you see Van if there is anything you like about him, his Death attribute Charm, his money making ideas, his cooking, or even how he looks like an adorable child, then you get hit by multiple kinds of Guidance. You don't have to agree with Van's ideals, or any of his goals, just see anything favorable about him, and you will become a follower.

10. MonitorShotput

MonitorShotput Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From Chapter 93, directly explains the effect of Van's skills.

Rou likes this.
  11. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mentioned that scene earlier, yeah. Though to be fair 'forces people not to be racist' is probably one of the best forms of mind control you could use.

12. zerol1

zerol1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More than force them to not be racist or seems more like make it more likely to accept other followers because of kindship

And yeah can have lots of skills that make it more likely to boost what other see in him on the favorable side but he don't really have mind control or brainwashing look at the god monitoring talosheim those that cannot feel any kind of like towards vida feel pain and whant to stop looking while those that whant an change and to follow van see he is on their side and open themself to those ideas ( if they got totally brainwashed they would run behind him and leave alsa at once but they still retain their freewill)

Rou likes this.
  13. Monobear

Monobear Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone know where I can find Tarea's most up-to-date translated status sheet?

14. Monobear

Monobear Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder when Van will create an S class dungeon. I personally think he will need it, be it for his own levelling and his companions' levelling. People like Godwin need something like an S class dungeon in order to get any stronger.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    spycho357 and Baldingere like this.
  15. Overlord2019

Overlord2019 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ooh. Thanks for posting that. Funny how Pablo thinks Van is an insane monstrosity for daring to rescue over 1000 innocent villagers from him and actually fighting back against Lucas Hartner's atrocious acts. And a small line in the same chapter explains how Heinz had suspicions that Van's the one who made the villages "disappear."

Lucas put the word out that a horde of calamity class monsters just suddenly spawned in the area and the order of knights he sent to enslave and/or kill the villagers was wiped out in battle with them.

This means Heinz took Lucas at face value despite the Hartners being exposed as pawns of evil vampires and actually clashing with said vampires as he was heading in the direction of the villages, and the fact that Lucas made a very public show of sending the knights there without any word of monsters whatsoever, but once Heinz heard Ternecia's involved, apparently completely forgot about his investigation as there's absolutely none of the collateral damage that would be expected from a battle with multiple calamity class monsters.

Rou, Korleone and Baldingere like this.
  16. Darquesse

Darquesse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://death-mage.fandom.com/wiki/Tarea/Status
    Should be from around the time of the big fight, in the Morksi arc. Considering that I don't think she actually fought, it should be fairly close to her current status, maybe a job change since she was at level 95 at the time of the status reveal

17. Monobear

Monobear Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you

18. Arha

Arha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm definitely not agreeing with Pablo here, but I don't think that's what he was saying. Rather, it's more like "Your actions don't make any sense and yet these people are following you like fanatics anyway. All you've done is caused them more problems by picking a fight with the duke. And now they belief in totally crazy nonsense like vampires being our friends."

Basically, he takes issue with Van's Guidance before he was even a Guider. That being said, the story does act like Van is crazy for some reason for not compromising with corrupt authorities in the name of efficiency. Like Rodcorte's familiar spirits being weirded out by him NOT siding with the serial killer and his lynch mob.

Rou likes this.
  19. DiPz

DiPz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Still no update.. Sad

20. ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

ZeroR18 and lohwengk like this.