Discussion The novels we missed becouse of shitty titles

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Ywmikki, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Ywmikki

Ywmikki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I've become more and more picky with the novels I read and I also posted on forum for recommendation. After some time when I'm REALLY bored, have time and finished reading all the novel I was interested i will go and have a try at some novel people recommended, but the title and summary just made me go "meh", with an attitude of "I'm bored out of my mind so let's just kill time" and then have my mind blow away by how good/interesting the novel was. So how many good novels you gave a pass because the title and summary just didn't sound good but you got a face-slap after?
    I Trick Even the Lames to Stand Up for Me is a good exemple for me; the title and the summary seem like a for a different story after you read it, it become one of my favorite novels and one I re-read a lot, I even went and mtl-ed it to the end this is just how much I love it
    I will try and search for spoiler thread for some novel when the summary doesn't give me much information but some novel didn't have a spoiler thread or nobody spoiled it and I'm uncertain about reading it after experiencing so many bad novels (in sense they had a thing that was just a No for me)

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say I have experienced that. I mean, I've had physical books face-slap me before, but no webnovel has managed the feat so far. :blobpeek:

Resplendor likes this.
  3. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I didn't miss but my first impression was : garbage. NEET Receives a Dating Sim Game Leveling System
    I didn't finish it but first 100 chapters were really funny, it's actually a parody of the garbage I expected.

4. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly I can't say the same. You're reading in bed... The phone slips... Whack! XD

"Surprise! The talent show was actually..."
    was probably my first surprisingly good novel.
    I mean, with a title like that, you don't expect much. I thought it was going to be another drivelly "breeze through the entertainment to become a film emperor" sort of story. Even the summary didn't give me much hope and I started reading it before there were many reviews.
    But despite everything, it was not what I expected at all and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

5. The_Essay_Writer

The_Essay_Writer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ironically I decided not to read a novel that was definitely my type cause of the summary, it was lord of the mysterious
    The title and summary doesn't even begin to describe the premise, I put it off for so long but then I read and enjoyed it so did a good majority of the readers, guess they didn't fall for the weird summary

6. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't judge only from title and summary, i watch the tags. If the novel have a tag that i don't like (tragedy,ntr,bl..ecc) i don't read it, doesn't matter if it's rated 5 star or 1 star. the same it's true for the opposite, if there isn't those tags, when i'm free i give a try to any novels, even if they are rated 1 star(as long there isn't anything else to read)

Mr v and Ddraig like this.
  7. RiboseSugar

RiboseSugar Mirror Mirror, I'm beautiful. Fact, not question.

Reading List:
    Link
    I generally read the reviews but if I see one bad review Imma read the part they reviewed and nitpick all the time.
    Then if the book attracts me I think it's like one of those Asian things I read in novels where they hire water armies but do they exist in America or wherever in the west.

8. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    That's where the good stuff is though >.<
    Besides most of the novels on nuf are incorrectly tagged tragedy so take the gamble ~

9. Resinling

Resinling Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything that has "Dragon", "God", "Weakest", or "Noble master" in its title. Oh, and "slow life"

armad224 likes this.
  10. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those long winded Jpn wn titles are shitty titles to me.

11. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    my frail heart can't stand tragedy, i will remain in a bad mood(traumatized) for all week or month....

Lord Rae, Rumby and Ddraig like this.
  12. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the fun part ;)
    But if it is really that bad for you, start with some minor tragedies and existential stuff before diving into the real good stuff where the author is a fucking sadistic psychopath who gets off by getting their readers to cry.

Basically like if you ever feel like getting into it despite all that,
    1. Charlotte (anime), Maria from hell, certain kino no tabi and maji no tabitabi stories etc
    2. Angel Beats and that kind of forced meh stuff
    3. Iris on rainy days, 86 etc decent tragedy parts but not that full dose of tragedy
    4. Sukasuka, Call of the wild (western novel), certain aobuta arcs etc quality tragedy stuff that actually got me to cry some tears

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  13. RiboseSugar

Reading List:
    Link
    I cried a lot at a charlotte and Angel Beats but the HE

14. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye, both are decent shows but they just aint good tragedies in my book.

I can understand Charlotte somewhat but like the last episode kinda made it a comedy for me >.>

Angel Beats though, it is a decent anime and all, but I am gonna be honest, the tragedy parts were so fucking forced it was not even funny. It did have some great scenes like the Rocket chair scene though ~

Also what is HE?

15. RiboseSugar

Reading List:
    Link
    Happy Ending

Ddraig likes this.
  16. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it's less a matter of whether a book has a bad title. There are tons of books out there that either have bad titles or poorly translated ones so going by that alone is a terrible idea. Instead, what matters is when titles reveal blatant warning signs that the book is going to be bad. The most obvious of these are the super long Japanese titles that go out of their way to tell you that the book is going to be awful. So in the end, I read plenty of books with bad or uncreative titles; it's never been an impediment so I can't imagine missing out because of it.

Yep. I'd say that this is a sign of a writer who has no idea what they're doing so the book is just going to drown in minutiae. Another obvious sign for me is whenever a title has the word "realist" in it: these books tend to be insufferable (and operate on really dumb reasoning).

17. Resinling

Resinling Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. The annoying part is when them being realist means 100% adhering to one or two books/ideologies, claiming that it would solve all of the world problems (see- perfect cities are grid based, like in old nihon, or just run country like machiaveli wrote, it will solve everything!)

18. gyan7

gyan7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Trash of the Count's Family.

Almost missed this one because of it!

19. applebeans

applebeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably others apply better
    But all I can think of now is hundred ways to kill that heartthrob

It has an underwhelming summary and vague title

But the arcs are surprisingly creative, it gives me complex feelings because my shipper heart ships
    But ML gotta die in the end~

20. Ywmikki

Ywmikki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never believed in the tags much, I cry very easily so I tend to avoid such as tragedy and rape but sometime the tragedy was just light tragedy or didn't happens to the protagonists and was just in a chapter or two, same for rape i hate it when it's one of the main focus point but sometimes it just happens to the background character and they will only talk about it in two sentences in this case I'm not so emotionally involved I can just read it like normal