Is windows 11 worth it to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Miku, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    I expect windows 11 to be leaner, better than windows 10, with the purported gaming performance improvement sometimes ago when the youtuber review it. But... After trying the beta, I found out that it can't even detect my GPU. I go back and forth using this PC, and my PC consistently detect my GPU in windows 10 and unable to do so in windows 11. Just three times, though.

I'm not sure if it is a hardware failure or software failure. How do I determine if it is a hardware failure? I personally think windows 11 is not worth it to upgrade right now, but do you think it is?

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  2. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wait till they get the major kinks out of the system imo. You can still upgrade for free later, yea?

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  3. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, no. I wouldn't update unless you really need the cutting-edge current updates; and honestly, I think very few people will need that. Windows 10 will be supported for a few more years, so until the update to Windows 11 for free expires (if they're even doing it), I personally wouldn't worry about it for the time being. Let all the naive people have their systems get screwed up because of M$'s horrible updates and beta's.

Geor, LazyLuong and Cutter Masterson like this.
  4. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I pretty much agree with everyone.

5. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm currently using it

the os itself eats up a lot less space than win 10 so that's a plus

aside from that there aren't any major changes ... its almost as if EA made this....

Miku likes this.
  6. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely not, And I don't think windows 10 can detect your GPU too. Usually some drivers need manual installations.

Usually things that you can interact are HID device under device manager in windows. Like Keyboards and Mice, and trackpads. Windows have hard time picking them up if generic drivers don't work. Like my trackpad made by Synaptic, if I uninstall the driver, windows will fail to recognize it. as generic driver don't work on them.

especially on laptop or PC with cpu with integrated graphics, windows will fails more often in recognizing them. And some times, drivers just don't work, like wayland.

The USB bus, usually windows will recognize it, as most usb device will come with a driver build in the device.
    Like my build in sound buster sound card for my laptop, which use USB bus hence windows just recognize it.

7. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried it three times installing windows 11 (twice upgrade, and one clean install), expecting something different, but the steps I use to enable the GPU in windows 10 is not working in windows 11. So I just give up with windows 11 for now. Meanwhile, the steps taken works fine in windows 10.

8. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I am planning to stick with win 10 for few years atleast

9. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll stick to Linux, thanks.

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  10. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    If it is just for gaming then linux might be better than windows 11, at least, if you do it like this XD

11. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    well... on wsl, we no longer need x server. Honestly, the performance increase in WSL2 in windows 11 is what entices me.

Nah. Plenty of software I need is only available in windows. At least, those are the ones I get the license for. Before my work, I am a heavy linux user, but since I entered the workforce, not inconveniencing others is what I seek to do. So that means using windows and office. For things I can solve using linux, that's where WSL2 is for.
    Yeah, I'd like to do that too. But work is work. Well... there's overhead in WSL. But on the exchange, interoperability between windows and linux made me prefer that compared to standalone linux, or windows and linux using hypervisor (WSL is using it too, though).

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  12. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there are some strange decissions in the room from M$ if your hardware is more than 1 year old you wouldnt normally to be able to update anyway that should be their biggest fail as i cant see billions of ppl upgrading to brand new hardware just to run win11 even more when you take a look at chip shortages, bitcoin miners, gpu prices etc
    security features might be a giant disadvantage if your id chip ever gets damaged or you had to replace your mainboard- good luck keeping your stuff
    and over the last 20 years it was always an alternation of a good and a bad windows versions
    ME bad
    xp good
    vista bad
    Win7 good
    Win8 .... (anyone used this at all ?)
    Win10...

13. gyan7

gyan7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd not bother. 10 is working just fine for me right now.

14. gangbuntu

gangbuntu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i did. win8 was a solid product to me - used it for around 4 yrs before being forced to upgrade. much less problematic than win10.

my gripes with win10:
    - practically a snail without ssd
    - photos (the new default image viewer) is extremely slower than the previous app
    - the new ui for settings (control panel etc) also too slow to load (especially considering that they tend to contain minimal info) and just add unecessary steps to accomplish what i need to do.
    - excessive caching - even on windows explorer
    - "i'm smarter than u": sleep/hibernate when we request a shutdown. restart/shutdown when we ask to sleep. serious annoyance when i want to carry the laptop around or wanting to access something quickly. also causing problem when installing something that requires restart. might need to restart multiple times before the drivers are loaded.
    - intermittent issues due to update
    --- skype / wifi / mike / speaker not working -- need extra restarts.
    --- (recurred twice) flickering google chrome -- granted, it might be google issue instead of m$
    --- "explosive" sound when hw utilization is high

on the plus side:
    - wsl. that's it.

win10 broke many backward compatibility
    i'm assuming the same for win11.
    early adopters are beta testers (and imho should be compensated for their contributions).

15. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    As the age old saying goes, with windows, wait for service pack 1. Or how they now call them as "feature packs". Never jump in first, cause if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Historically, MS always messes up after a good release. Since Win 7 good, Win 8 bad, Win 10 good. Win 11 is likely to be bad. So far people are already reporting lots of issues.

16. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its rather strange with hardly compatible hardware ~ 1,5 years old max
    and that trusted module stuff - i dont know

my main issues with win10 lies in the fact it didnt upgraded from win7 as it should have
    some stuff like wmp or calc would just load in the tasklist but not open a actual window problems with closing said apps
    shut down , hybernate etc works its just that sometimes it auto installs updates while official hybernating
    all OS gets bigger and bigger so the trend to speed up loadtimes isnt really windows specific
    and a 120 gb sata ssd is about 12$ right now (really hurts when i think what i paid for my ...)
    the biggest f+++ up if you ask me is the nearly complete useless search function

17. gangbuntu

gangbuntu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.howtogeek.com/349114/sh...-shut-down-windows-10-but-restarting-it-does/

1 time after shutting down, i packed my laptop into my bag and commuted.
    somehow it woke up in the middle and the fan sucked in lint & dust. at that point i wrapped the laptop around a woolen vest as shock absorber. had to ask i.t. guy help to open and clean up the interior. that incident marked the vest's retirement (as bumper) and the start of a new habit: always turn off the wireless mouse when moving around

18. phobos

phobos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you could use some travel cases or put in in a plastic bag before using textils as shock absorbers
    turning of the mouse sounds good you might switch the "wake up on usb" off in the bios too

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    gangbuntu likes this.
  19. WhiskeyWolf

WhiskeyWolf Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No Microsoft system is worth it on release. You have to wait like at least 2 years for it to be patched into usability.

20. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah screw microsoft and their new shitty windows as a service model. I found that windows 10 build 16299 works really well so i disabled windows update from there on and it works perfectly.

Apparently its windows update that causes the 3 am computer starts in the middle of the night so you have to disable the windows update tasks in scheduler. But every single year windows adds new services to old builds like waasmedic (windows as a service medic im guessing) even though windows update is disabled??? It tries to patch windows update so u gotta disable or delete the 5+ tasks things in task scheduler that start up windows update or repairs the process for starting up windows update or repairs the process that repairs the process for starting up windows update. and setup a automated script that turns windows update off every time it tries to switch back on.

After windows updates fully blocked u can finally do some registry edits and deletions of all the spyware windows 10 runs in the background and turn off all the data collection stuff. Because every single new update automatically repairs the data trackin/ turns back on data collection setti gs. Every update reenables settings.

Google.com is permanently free too because you are the product. Microsoft was pushing everyone use windows 10 and even making upgrade "free" because you are the product. Data is used to sell services to advertisers. We are both the product and beta testers for windows 10 because its permanently in broken beta with stupid system breaking new features every update.

Once u disable all the useless stuff windows 10 is actually pretty fast imo.

I still have build 10586 windows 10 on a laptop too and windows update doesnt try to repair itself constantly. Its much much easier to disable windows update on earlier build. I guess thats a patch that came on a later build like 16299.