Cancel Culture is Dumb

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it laughable that these anonymous accusers do not realize that they just turned from victims to attackers.
    It is quite ironic since their goal is public shaming which is the very definition of bullying

How K-pop's Cancel Culture Exposed the Industry's Perfect Illusion
    https://bookandfilmglobe.com/television/south-korean-cancel-culture-in-high-gear/
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...deaa2a-ad6e-11eb-82c1-896aca955bb9_story.html

@ludagad
    @Seaway @userunfriendly @Lissi

Given what happened to Tablo, I wonder why people never learn:
    https://stanfordmag.org/contents/the-persecution-of-daniel-lee
    https://www.wired.com/2012/04/ff-koreanrapper/

I am not watching this thread, just trying to raise awareness since I was peeved by the article on the volleyball twins:https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/01/...ng-south-korea-volleyball-spt-intl/index.html

“The recent string of accusations raises fears in the athletes of being accused as perpetrators, while they were also once victims of violence,” he said.

Bullying the bully is the definition of stupidity.
    Someone did point out that the issue is not bullying for South Korea but the fact that people are using this as an outlet to punish abuse of power in a society that silences others

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    Lissi, Laling and Hazel00 like this.
  2. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you know what they say : bullies were often bullied before. It kinda feels like them becoming bullies is like an expression of self hate because they hate the bullied for reminding them of their past weak bullied selves

3. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol dont engage in any of these witch hunt. Wait for evidence and the truth. Thanks god I never involve any cancel culture

4. Akiraaa

Akiraaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol I don't even know that cancel culture exists. Maybe because in my country there's nothing like that.... or maybe I am late in the news.

5. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the stupid nature of the beast. That's what cancel culture is, a mostly hypocritical self-aggrandizing circlejerk of the self-appointed "righteous" on a power trip.

It's a mostly american invention (plague is a more apt term) that has spread in the west among the idiots, sheep and assorted vapid wankers spoiled with fictitious self-importance by sheeple-filled echo chambers.

the veil of anonymity is a huge problem with CC.

Wujigege, Leo William and Akiraaa like this.
  6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't know Glamping exists either. It was written as "Gramping" on a sign in a Japanese drama but it turns out Gramping is also another term I didn't know existed.

I thought only Koreans confuse l and r

7. moneng85

moneng85 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly wouldn't be surprised. Sometimes can understand why ppl call others out on stuff (like for the real serious deep issues, with lots of evidence). But what if it was something they did young that they have come out and apologized already? Or did you only hear one half of the story and already jump to conclusions? What if its not true but rumors? There's a lot of things. One should not hate blindly just because. The problem is it gets amplified over the internet or any platform really and some take up in arms to dig into people's info. Its...

There are also some out there who just want to hurt those who hurt them. I don't think some can forgive all the damage those caused.

Then there's some that...not sure if its true or not. Can't really tell.

Best thing is wait for whole evidence. Don't go crucifying someone if you don't know the whole truth yet. And honestly should not crucify people just because.

Look at Magic of Rahat. Don't know that youtuber much. But someone he tried helped went back to bite him. People didn't know full story on his side and jumped to defend the other. Took him years to come back. Now don't know what truly happened bc this is still someone telling their side, so can't say which is which. But people shouldn't jump so quick to tear other apart without solid evidence.

Baldingere likes this.
  9. gyan7

gyan7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The usual. People with malicious intent try to take advantage of those who are easily misled.

The real issue is that there really isn't any actual punishment for bullying someone decades back. People get away with a lot of stuff, others who have suffered relate to it and then they try to take revenge on someone because they see their 'bully' in them.

You really can't feel someone's pain because you haven't been in their shoes. But its a fire that burns them from the inside out and turns their hatred into something incorrigible. And while its not their fault really, it is a mental disease that plagues a lot of victims.

I get what you're trying to say OP. Bullies can change, grow up, realize their mistakes and repent. But saying that isn't enough for most who have suffered and wallowed in it; ruined their lives because they were hurt too bad or broken miserably. So its an attempt but this isn't the point at which you must try to fix it. It needs to be fixed at its roots by spreading awareness among everyone to not bully their classmates and being kind to each other. Trying to fix it decades later is like trying to salvage spilled milk decades back when its all dried up and disappeared with the passage of time.

10. Pachia320

Pachia320 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s really sad since it’s also used in many light novels involving entertainment industry. It’s really stupid to begin with. The more you learn, y’know?

11. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    Cancel culture was foreign to me, as I never used social media, until I saw this TED talk and went on to listen to the (now unavailable on youtube) audiobook of Now You've Been Publicy Shamed. And I thought people are crazy. Then it happened to a youtuber I listen to, and I learned about it when she brilliantely decortiquated it in a video:

And I later found hero sei's channel about him showing how ridiculous twitter mobs are and I feel comforted in not using social media. It's not like cancel culture even has any lasting effect on the people who should be ashamed. So many rapists are going around just fine after having been canceled. And good people have had their life destroyed and are struggling with mental health because of one small mistake or no mistake at all. It's nonsensical and sad.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  12. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hate breeds violence... Just cause they are morally in the right doesn't make it free from that.

Also most of the times the justice rally goes out of hands and turns into a weapon for many...like for example #metoo ...I mean the ones who really need the help get the worse end cause of those few she-devils...not only should they fight against their attackers..but the public too trying to convince they aren't lying.

Well guess there is no such thing as perfection... Even laws have flaws so make do I guess

13. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    So much drama in that article... :sweating_profusely:

14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    No need for vague examples. This is a perfect example of why public shaming is dangerous and must be stopped:
    Given what happened to Tablo, I wonder why people never learn:
    https://stanfordmag.org/contents/the-persecution-of-daniel-lee
    https://www.wired.com/2012/04/ff-koreanrapper/

I am not talking about fixing it. I arbor bullying and hate how it is milked as a gimmick in movies and other media and never really taken seriously eg in Tobey Maguire's spiderman, his bully because his fan. Zero consequences.
    But witch hunts are wrong plain and simple. There is no excuse for it.
    Tablo's example is perfect.
    Bullying the bully does not make it right. I have been bullied myself so I am not just talking from a high horse. It is just hate breeding hate and the cycle never ends. It is not good for your mental health either as the victim

15. Deleted member 348269

Reading List:
    Link
    Vague examples? Magic of Rahat isn't that vague...he got canceled without people's hearing his side and it led him to depression. It ruined his reputation before he made a comeback and explained what happened in a youtube video. You can look it up.

16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You admitted that you were not 100% sure that's why I said vague. If it isn't then I apologize.

Tablo is 100% in the right. But public shaming doesn't care. They want a scapegoat

17. nadia88

nadia88 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember when cancel culture was starting to take off (on tumblr I think?) In like 2016. And even then, people started criticizing the mob mentality. Although tbh, I don't really get why people care? At least now. Like unless someone has done something truly heinous, cancelling does NOTHING to hold back their career. If anything, it just helps it. Plus, most people doing the canceling are just teenagers/stupid people on twitter? It literally baffles me that it has somehow migrated to being talked about on news stations. Like even my 76 year old grandmother talks about it. I just see it as people haing to much time on their hands. I don't think it should be getting the attention it is.

18. Deleted member 348269

Reading List:
    Link
    You're right in that I'm not a 100%. It's an internet source. Digging deeper is a rabbit hole bc I've seen quite a few people calling out other YouTubers back and forth. Unless one is directly involved, how will you know truly what thoughts that ran through those who are involved in the case when it happened? What you hear is from someone about it.

What I meant was that, no one truly knows what happened except for those individuals who are directly involved. Like a case someone got caught doing something that looked bad; but then another video revealed their actions before. Ex: A few videos talked about Rahat helping a homeless man and then using him and abandoning him. Rahat then comes out after battling with depression to say that homeless man he helped turned around to say he stole his money when actually he used it up and carried internet started to hate without hearing his side of the story.

The point is, if you were not directly involved in that case, you heard it from someone what happened. And both sides have their own version of what is right and wrong, even the ones who are pretty much in the wrong with a stupid hate mentality like Tablo accusers. This is why no one should immediately jump to conclusions.

It's annoying out there people mixed in who hate just bc they wanna hate and jump on the bandwagon, and people who hate/dislike bc they had their own reasons why. Worst of all is leading others to hate, and those don't read or dig deeper into seeing two sides of a story before they jumped to conclusions.

This goes for lot of cases too. And every case has some variations.

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the problem is simple when you allow the public to be the JUDGE , JURY AND EXECUTIONER.

You end up with disastrous consequences.

Deleted member 348269 likes this.
  20. Deleted member 348269

Reading List:
    Link
    It can end badly yes. When the public is so fed up with things, as in fear or anger about situation, it tends lead into a snowball and a witch hunt can ensue. When an individual is angry, they're not always thinking rationally, sometimes they think or do things out of spite. What happens when it's the public? People want someone to be responsible but this can also lead to them accusing those who did not. And lot don't always dig deeper, to find out more.

Too bad the justice system isn't that great at it either. Doesn't mean one should take it in their own hands for justice. Because it can really go out of hand esp it depends on what their definition of justice is.

Rahat side:
    This guys side:

Wujigege likes this.