Calculus is evil

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lmnsd03, Oct 4, 2021.

1. lmnsd03

lmnsd03 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Calculus is eating my soul
    Calculus makes me question life
    Calculus grRRrr

2. Laling

Laling Rest Easy, King

Reading List:
    Link
    lmnsd03 likes this.
  3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    wut is that? food?
    project deadline is evil~

lmnsd03 likes this.
  4. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depend on course. trust me in engineering course calculus is one of the easiest subject. >Philosphy is more evil though as how do they come up with the moral railway problem , you know the one where you choose of which level to pull or push and that will cause deaths.

lmnsd03, UnGrave and Bad Storm like this.
  5. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Calculus is free marks...

lmnsd03, Stormingtiger101 and UnGrave like this.
  6. lottocat

lottocat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so cuute hahha
    me too sigh

lmnsd03 likes this.
  7. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Which calculus exactly? I remember having more than 1 :blobrofl:

lmnsd03 likes this.
  8. Kyaaaaaaaaa

Kyaaaaaaaaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was the bane of my existence. After highschool, I thought I could leave it in the dust--until I took fucking physics. Calculus makes me bark.

cute

lmnsd03 likes this.
  9. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Was it calculus 1-4? As well as precalc so 5 in total?

lmnsd03 and Bad Storm like this.
  10. BuWang

BuWang Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I- I like calculus

lmnsd03 likes this.
  11. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Misreads it as "cactus"

Yes, they can be dangerous little pricks

12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan hates calculus too. Engineering calculus, not standard close-eyes-done school calculus. Which is funny because over here it's just called modern math and high school math but apparently it's called calculus in America. As if that isn't confusing us with university calculus. Which is a pain in the backside.

Like why must Ai-chan need to know how to calculate the volume of a water funnel when all Ai-chan is making is a 2D RPG game. We don't use this in making games at all, so why must we pass these 3 subjects? Yes, Ai-chan had to pass 3 calculus subjects while studying games design. Our degree was multimedia, the same degree as for animation and sound engineering. Why must we learn calculus subjects designed for architectural engineering? Heck, for a games design course, it's certainly skimping on actual game development subjects and instead forced us to take 3 very hard engineering calculus.

We didn't sign up for fun-starved engineering stuff. Those calculus courses took the fun out of the entire course, as a result only 2 of us worked in games industry, and one of those two actually changed university because the other university didn't force him to learn so many engineering calculus.

The other one lost his job when the games company he worked at went bankrupt and he had to become an insurance agent. Everyone else in the course lost our souls from trying to pass the engineering calculus course, some by retaking the same subjects over and over. The was one guy in the same batch as Ai-chan who ended up spending 6 years for his degree, which was supposed to only take 3-4 years.

Calculus subjects takes all the fun from taking games design degrees. We should outlaw it for games design courses. If people want to learn it, they can learn it after they graduate.

Kyaaaaaaaaa and lmnsd03 like this.
  13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Funny you you make this right after I was expressing how happy I am to have an easy class I don't have to worry about like calculus.

lmnsd03 likes this.
  14. RainMorga

RainMorga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Calculus is one of the fundamental truths of the universe.

The truth hurts...

15. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh, I wouldn't think that they would require Engineering Calculus for a game design degree. That's odd to think about. I guess some ideas introduced could be useful, like vectors, cross-product, and determinants, but honestly those are better covered in a course like Linear Algebra.

Personally, I enjoyed the basic engineering calculus sequence (except for Calc III wasn't a fan of it) when I took it. I really like the theory behind Calculus though. The epsilon-delta definitions and proofs can be pretty fun.

Edit: Even thinking more on it, it is odd that they would have you take 3 Calculus courses for a game design degree. If they were going to make you take 3 mathematics courses there are quite a few standard courses that would be more applicable than Calculus is for game design. Off the top of my head Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, and Game Theory would have more applications to game design than Calculus would.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    lmnsd03 and Ai chan like this.
  16. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Right? There's no reason why we'd need so many calculus subjects for games design, and certainly not engineering calculus. About vectors and determinants, we learned those in high school, so maybe they thought it's not advanced enough for university, so they had to crank it up to show off 'quality'. The problem is game design students are not all mathematically savvy and they then failed those subjects, and in turn, failed the course, eventually dropping out, like Ai-chan did. Ai-chan can do normal math, but engineering math is just so beyond what Ai-chan can grasp. As a result, the games design course failed to achieve its objective.

We didn't even learn all that much programming. All we got was Programming 1 and Programming 2, both were C++ and both were very basic programming skills. We never learned Java, Javascript or even Python. Why put so much emphasis on math in a games design course when there is no emphasis on programming at all? Ai-chan wonders what the person who put up that course was thinking when he designed the degree.

lmnsd03 and asriu like this.
  17. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    And after you passed the exam, you will feel like in heaven.

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ah, it classic dissonance between what need on industry by hmm merchant and what school think what industry need~ there topic about how education system seem not match with industry hmm requirement at work~ maybe the creator of that course have lil to none experience on game programming sector, but have experience in other programming side such build program for rocket or something......

a friend of this cat lament about such stuff, he was competitors of National Mathematics Olympiad level kinda seriously consider pursue mathematic path at one time but somehow wanna make video game after fascinated by some videogame~ he said why more math and less programming? well back then IT more about fixing PC and less about software....

lmnsd03 and Ai chan like this.
  19. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, here's something my elders always told me when I said I was sick of studying.

"All you need to do is to read and memorize things that have already been found by others. Be grateful that you don't have to be the one to discover these tidbits."

And I didn't really get it at the time, but I realized that as time went on, so did information. That's why I was grateful that my job was just to study and not invent. That's a reason why I love math and find it quite easy. It's just memorizing a bunch of formulas, and at a point in time, being able to apply those formulas in any way you like (such as using what you know to find answers to questions you've never seen before).

So, remember, even if calculus is killing you right now, at least you didn't have to invent it. Hope your questions about life get answered~

Vanidor, Kyaaaaaaaaa and lmnsd03 like this.
  20. Kyaaaaaaaaa

Kyaaaaaaaaa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hate to say it, but you are speaking facts.