When do you think isekai boom in japan will stop?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by BEritro, Oct 5, 2021.

1. BEritro

BEritro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in near future or never? I personally think it will be a long ass time

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  2. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    It wont stop, per se. It will just morph every so often like it's been doing for years.

3. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    The boom? Who knows.
    The Isekai genre is basically just Fantasy without our world or heaven/hell (Earth's) involved so I'm guessing that it will never stop completely, but it might die down after a century or so.

4. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn Isekai Boomers!~

5. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than stop, I think it will be an normal. Like VR boom, it became normal today. Like Loli heroin, it will became normal. Like cultivation, it will normal. Also I think that Isekai boom been normal now that before.

6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hard to imagine isekai ever going completely away. It's a story format that solves four or five fundamental problems for writers; particularly for amateur writers so they're going to stick with it. I can see the popularity of isekai waning eventually but that date looks way in the future. There's already backlash against it, but it hasn't had any real effect to date.

There's no "will be" here. Just look at the list of the most popular works in Japan right now, and you'll see that isekai fiction is already normalized.

7. BEritro

Reading List:
    Link
    So majority thinks it will stick for a long time seems logical despite how much bitching i see in online fourms isekai is strong in japan as ever.

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    eh as long it sell it will stick~
    mainstream media is like that~

9. BEritro

Reading List:
    Link
    i see well i dont see the sell going down anytime soon so yeah...... they are here for a long time

10. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It has been around longer then people have been referring to it as Isekai, it is not going away any time soon, but unless there is some new hotness it will be a slow decline. It is just to well tailored to the desires of certain demographics in Japan.

Which probably leads to is being over represented on sites like Novel Updates, since the amateur works are the vast majority of what gets brought over by translators.

To true, and applies to all forms of media. As long as there is sufficient market, it will keep being made.

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would count old school isekai as a completely different genre. It doesn't look anything like the modern stuff and there's no continuation in terms of literary tradition going on. Indeed, I'd even say that much of the new stuff is outright anathema to the old stuff.

I wouldn't say that there's much over representation going on. Isekai novels are extremely popular in Japan as well so it only makes sense that a lot of it gets translated.

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  12. BEritro

Reading List:
    Link
    while new isekai here often gets translated which i am glad it does but judgeing by every new additions in latest series area CN Yaoi and KR Romance/Otome stuff seems more preferable to translators nowdays

13. Scyphoza

Scyphoza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It wont stop for a long time. Not only that i think we will see it go to two extremes. Increasingly ridiculous concepts to try and get readers like the vending machine one and more cynical corporate stores that try to have as wide an appeal as possible for the same reason.

14. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The isekai genre has been longer. From fushigi yuugi, escaflowne, etc
    But the recent dungeon, game, isekai might only evolve not stop.

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  15. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    The genre certainly will continue for more years, but will one day surely stop. After all, readers won't like the same exact genre for such long periods of time. And the reason writers write in such booming genres is that the genre has a large fan base, allowing for more of a chance of their novels being read. But it will stop one day. Every genre will. However, variants of it will still linger. And then variants of those variants will linger. And so on. Most likely, fantasy will be the one genre that lasts the longest, since it has so few boundaries for writers to write in.

16. RiboseSugar

RiboseSugar Mirror Mirror, I'm beautiful. Fact, not question.

Reading List:
    Link
    Aren't Chinese and Japanese Isekai different, no wait is QT and Isekai are the same Genre??:hmm:

17. BEritro

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry but what's China have to do with this thread tho

18. RiboseSugar

RiboseSugar Mirror Mirror, I'm beautiful. Fact, not question.

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m asking if they are the same since they go into another world(transmigration or QT) or the term for Isekai is only for Japanese Novels and mangas

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  19. Joospinch

Joospinch Don't click my avatar!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Like the ecchi highschool craze i see isekai stopping when the next big show hits with a new easily copied format.

For isekai it was rezero, after that all hell broke loose and the genre became more rinsed than your grandma's tighty whities

20. BEritro

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe action ecchi school stuff are still being made but less isekai would be more or less similer situation once new trend shows up