Discussion Villainess themed stories are pissing me off now

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by FIEND, Oct 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok so they always start off with ur boring reused I dropped into a novel and am the villainess. BUT THEY END UP ACTING NOTHING LIKE THE FUCKING VILLAIN
    why tf didn’t u get reborn into a random side character or the heroes body? I hate that they use the villainess troupe even tho it has nothing to do with the story, every male ends up simping for her anyways, and the real villain ends up being the heroine of the og story surprise surprise.

anyways this is starting to piss me off, anyone got actual fucking villainess stories like Medea in your Throne?
    She doesn’t need to be a slaughter queen, morally dubious is good. I don’t need her to be a damsel wap for the male lead. And if it’s a revenge plot that’s NOT cliche even better
    I honestly want a strong badass sick bitch female mc
    Thank you

2. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't care if there evuls or not. I want them to be complex instead of "she good" or "she edgy"

Villaness novels dont even try at making there characters non flat. They only rely on emotional "see her fiance cheated on her feel bad for her and root for her

Also spilling tea on soemone dosent make you a villaness. All it makes you is an maturity stunted human who never grew out of middle school

3. HentMas

HentMas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend "The Villainess is Happy Today - Novel Updates"
    She takes advantage of her position (mainly money), and gets a ML that is completely outside the original novel... there is a bit of shota but outside of that, she's a sugar momma.

The novel I think is dropped but the manhwa is continuing in [redacted]
    "Today the Villainess Has Fun Again Manga ([redacted])"

What I liked was that she haves a very "f%&k this" attitude and thinks "Why would I be losing my mind for the cheating ML??? I have MONEY, F him, he should be begging me" hahaha

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2021
    Astaroth likes this.
  4. Siul16

Siul16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-villainess-reverses-the-hourglass/
    She was your typical low rate villainess during her first live. Just before dying she realizes the sister was manipulating to act that way. The second time around she plays the role of a good girl while preparing for revenge. She does end up caring about the people close to her though.

The novel is fully translated. There is also a Manhwa being translated.

Westeller likes this.
  5. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh! and I also recommend The Villainess Lives Twice - Novel Updates
    She's a sociopath, the plot is not really about love, she made her bro king, king cuts her tongue, arms and legs and confines her to the dungeons to prevent her from talking, Duke saves her and asks her to change the fate of the country because it's getting destroyed by the stupid king, she "can't" do it, but turns back time... it's about a scheming "no morals" woman that plots like 100 moves ahead. it's very interesting and the "enemies" are also very competent.

6. Solracmar

Solracmar Zzzzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think he wants suggestions for new reading.....
    However the novels pointed do prove that you are reading low quality vilanness novel .
    What you mentioned are the cliche of the vilanness genre. Since the first one really famous did like that low quality copies use the exact same format so.....
    I can only suggest that you read the reviews here before starting it should spare you the cheap cliche stories.

Creolenerd and Saorihirai like this.
  7. evanesco99211

evanesco99211 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, he did ask for suggestions.
    So, here is mine:

The Exiled Villainess Returns
    https://www.scribblehub.com/series/112235/the-exiled-villainess-returns/

The Villainess’s Dark Side
    https://www.scribblehub.com/series/6354/the-villainesss-dark-side/

Both are morally dubious, not a damsel in distress purely to showcase ML's awesomeness, and their revenge plots are not cliche. The first story is hella dark, the second one is not as dark but still dark. Both contain non-con (not ML's fault). The first one is ongoing while the second one is complete (except for the extra parts, those are still hanging). Both are mentally strong but the first one can also fight in physical battles. They do have their weak episodes but then again, nobody can be in perfect condition all the time. I think they are badass as they are but I don't know if they fit your term of being a "strong badass sick bitch female mc".

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  8. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember trying both of them a long time ago and dropped since they weren’t exactly my type ty tho

I wanted a new reading so I asked, I’m confused what u mean by “he doesn’t want a new reading “. Well Cliche is all that there is at,. Im asking cuz I can’t find good quality shit. Maybe u can lead the way ?

Read it alr ty

ty for the recs
    already read ty

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    evanesco99211 likes this.
  9. Sweetformy_Games

Sweetformy_Games Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that's the hidden formula no one has the answer to. I personally get my fill with" When they cry out"

10. Silv0

Silv0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Way to Protect the Female Lead's Older Brother
    I don't know how far the novel translation has gone but I've read the manhwa. the main character is morally dubious and is a true villainess in that she will do anything necessary to see her plan through - violence(not a slaughter queen though), seduction, etc... She's definitely strong but not completely overpowered

11. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    Good and bad depends on the point of view of the reader. Example: A teenage runaway travels with a political outlaw, an outlaw smuggler, and some stolen property to a military installation. They break a different political criminal out of prison and then escape to a terrorist camp only to join in on a raid of the same military installation resulting in its destruction along with all the military personnel stationed there. Are they villains or heroes? If you highlight the evil acts by them, they are the bad guys, but if you highlight the evil acts of military and legitimate government... Maybe they are heroes?

12. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    Heh, sure, except when the author is very clear on what is right and wrong in his narrative and worldbuilding, it all depends then in the "intent" of the author and what he was trying to highlight.

I'm not saying it's not a right of the reader to take whatever they want to take out of the story, but when you begin to imbue into the story a bias that was never mentioned or even hinted at, you're actively doing a disservice to the author and completely negate the inherent value of writing and reading. Like some analysts calling "The lord of the rings" a critic piece of the United Kingdom when it was released, naming the hobbits the working class and the orcs the immigrant and other dumb reaches that were never in the intent of the author, something Tolkien was very against when that analysis was published... he started by writing a fantasy for kids with "The Hobbit"

And in "villainess" novels, the MC is mostly always represented as someone that did "horrible things" in the "original" story and then when the reincarnator/returner/isekai person comes up, it flips the original narrative in it's head, just making her a "run of the mill, cliché, heroine", except she was supposed to be something else, (which doesn't matter, because regardless of how many times the author references the "original" it doesn't exist right now in the narrative we are currently following)

It's like a fan fiction of a work that never existed to begin with... with self inserted "mary sue" to boot.

13. Xian Piete

Reading List:
    Link
    As an author, you have to write your main character in a way that makes readers want to follow that main character. Like it or not, you have to present that character in such a way that people will want to follow the story to the end. Most people aren't interested in the psychotic point of view. Example: The Joker. Throughout the movie, you are shown the world from the perspective of the Joker as a normal person just trying to survive and thrive. Until that moment near the end when the main character's perspective is suddenly shown to be flawed. The villainy is released but in a way that makes you rethink your own views on right and wrong.

I think you are asking a lot from these stories if you expect these authors to be able to flesh out a character that can be an obvious villain and still be a character you can like and want to follow in the format of an Otome game style world.

14. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Funny thing, I just can't enjoy Your Throne. It's like self-torture. It felt like there's just something wrong with them, something twisted, and it makes me uncomfortable.

Creolenerd likes this.
  15. HentMas

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just talking about your particular notion regarding "what" the intent vs "what" the reader takes from the story, there are works that let the reader decide, there are works that are aiming and constructing a particular narrative in the world building, if you imbue your own feelings on works that have a particular path disregarding previous world building and set pieces, you are doing a disservice to the author.

And although I agree with your conclusion regarding the character creation I find your reasoning a bit skewed, there ARE complete works of anti-heroes and psychotic characters that are compelling to read, like the aptly named "American Psycho" protagonist, no one can say the narrative in that story tries to make you "relate" with that character, he's a psycho through and through, or most of the characters in the works of "Marquess de Sade" have that same idea, they are perverse and in their perversion they are interesting and compelling to read on their own right, without trying to make them relatable... I think "understandable" would be a better characteristic than "relatable" (guy gives business card embossed and with golden lettering, protagonist gets jealous... of a business card, this triggers another psychotic episode etc etc etc)

And regarding "asking a lot" well, I'm not really asking anything, I read those stories and love them, and am very VERY aware of their shortcomings, still I appreciate when I see a good twist or plot device concluded (or even if the only thing salvageable are the characterisations and world building), but the "bare minimum" of the common denominator for those stories is my biggest complain, because the author just took an "idea" and ran with it without really giving it a good grounding in the narrative, most of this stories have the setting, and then disregard it completely, which turn the whole point of being reincarnated/isekaied/etc moot, I can love something and accept that it's flawed, and since I've read A LOT of this stories, I could name the ones that stood out because they didn't "have" as many shortcomings as the rest, of course, web novels are not supposed to be read as a masterpiece or perfect, but I do still have standards and can point them out.

Ze Wu Jun and FIEND like this.
  16. Ze Wu Jun

Ze Wu Jun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love villain themed stories. They are gray or dark, and they keep the story interesting.

There are A LOT OF good stories about villains as the main character. But you're saying that the author doesn't have to try hard to write a good and creative story?

HentMas likes this.
  17. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tamed the Tyrant and Ran Away might be villainessy enough for you. It's not up there with Protect the Female Lead's Older Brother (and in this particular genre I can't think of anything close to that), but she's not an angel.

18. Xian Piete

Reading List:
    Link
    Try? No, it's about ability. The stories you find on NU are written by amateur authors translated by amateur translators. The skills needed just aren't there.

19. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's also a matter of effort. Most of these amateur authors are either unable or unwilling to put in the amount of work required for better and more nuanced books. This is especially true of villain protagonists because they call for a lot more careful planning to execute.

If you're looking for villain protagonists why the heck would you try to find them among Villainess novels? Do people not understand what Villainess novels are and how they work? It makes as much sense as being upset at Mystery novels because most of them are about unraveling mysteries rather than creating them.

Ze Wu Jun likes this.
  20. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, the whole point of the villainess theme is that she isn't really a villainess, just shoehorned into the role because she looks wicked.

Wicked being a 1995 EN novel turned musical which also follows (or leads?) the villainess genre.

I personally don't really like "badass sick bitches" as novel main characters, though they make excellent movie/game main characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.