Are Novel Options Getting Stale?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Genji-san, Oct 4, 2021.

?

Are there less good novels appearing?

1. Yes

57.1%
  2. No

24.5%
  3. You’re delusional

18.4%
  1. Genji-san

Genji-san Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, this is just my short rant about a feeling of stagnation I’ve endured for the past couple months. I’ve used novel updates for a long time; I’ve used their ranking system to filter typical trash novels from the good ones. However, there seems to be a limited amount of good new novels appearing in recent times (sometimes there will be months between a shift in the top rankings and very infrequently a good new novel will pop up and occupy the top for the next couple of months). I remember a year or 2 back there would be a new good novel pop up every month or so, but that just doesn’t seem to be the case anymore (maybe it’s just me and I’m burnt out, but that’s how I’m feeling). Anyways, I just wanted to make a post here to see if anyone else is feeling the same way.

Best wishes for your reading endeavors ~

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    have a change in genre

asriu, Lissi, Smilingly and 2 others like this.
  3. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I second this

4. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Webnovel only picked up trash novels so you can expect it to be stale and boring.
    And as for Wuxiaworld, don't know, I always check them for new novels, but it seems they're the same as Webnovel, only picking up trash.

5. kgggdkp2012

kgggdkp2012 Void ReapeR(8th grade syndrome patient)

Reading List:
    Link
    When you're new to NU you'd have so many options, many starts with jp, then shift Korean, and finally Chinese. When you're new you'll mostly have no taste so you'll consume what you're being fed by top weekly rankings. So by few months of reading you'll start to see pattern that you couldn't notice before than you start lose taste. This what happened to me at least. So you take few months break and comeback after few good novels you have read have some stockpile of chapters and start to skim through them. Maybe something good also picked by translators give it a go. mostly I'd be bad or just overrated. But sometimes you find diamond in coal mine, enjoy.

animefan217, Resinling, Fryz and 3 others like this.
  6. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Look, all the most popular or more likely better novels have been translated. Web novels are not something that you can consume non stop and forever, it's like candy. When you grow up you get sick of too much sugar, occasionaly you might be tempted to buy a bag of jelly bears, then you get a mildly sick stomach and fart like a dying man.
    I switched completely to fanfiction and I regularly read fanfics from better authors than these professional web novelists. Here's my list if you're interested https://www.fanfiction.net/u/9071421/
    You could try western originals, Mother of Learning I defintely recommend but from printed books I hear a lot of praise for Stormlight Archives.
    Bobiverse is great if you're interested into sci-fi.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Jrar, Resinling and Westeller like this.
  7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ^ This.

When you're bored of particular novels around here, switch up what you're reading. Instead of Chinese novels, read Korean. Instead of cultivation stories, read a romance. Otherwise, check out original novel platforms like Scribble Hub / RRL, etc. Maybe read a few published books. Fanfiction, then, too, is an absolutely fantastic source for surprisingly great stories. Eventually, wind your way back here for whatever's new, or to follow up on ongoing translations.

Laling and Jojo775 like this.
  8. Wannabe-shutin

Wannabe-shutin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you check recommendation lists? I found some good stories thanks to those.

9. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Remove all of chinese novels and you will be good to go.

10. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    Try other genres, you will/won`t regret it !

11. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, yeah...I've noticed this too. I've been reading many mtl these days at the orig raw sites (I almost feel that my English will go crooked reading so many mtl), and rereading many novels from before. Maybe there are new novels, but they rarely update, or it's not that good and these days I only see old novels that have at least hundred or thousands chaps.

animefan217 and Smilingly like this.
  12. Smilingly

Smilingly Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you may need to take a little break away from reading. I notice this happens when I read too much of the same type of novels, they become quite difficult to read. They become bland. However, once I've taken my break I come back and find better things to read.

You could also be learning what genre you like most and are getting sick of similar stories from your previous taste. You should explore more.

Or you have really read almost every novel you liked. Maybe, you're looking for a particular type of novel and can't find another another one that is good enough or better. So many reasons as to why other novels start tasting bland.

The best thing to do is to alternate between your favorite genres if you have more than one. If you find a good one you'll be desperate enough to MTL. The struggle to finding another novel to read after finishing one or waiting for one is a great nuisance! Though if you put some more extra effort than usual you'll eventually find one to read.

Anyway, this thought is probably just as what those above ^ have said. I ramble a lot. When I'm really desperate I go on the daily updates page and scroll to find interesting titles that might have stories that are to my taste.
    I hope you find a more tasteful novel! One that will pique your taste.

:blobtaco:

13. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Maybe they'rs not yet listed in nu yet.
    You can help put them here.
    2. Change the genre

14. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reading western novels as if they had been written in Japanese and then poorly translated by NU Japanese Translators.

"Paul Maud'Dib-sama! Paul Maud'Dib-sama! Worm sign we have worm sign!"

"The sleeper has awaked!"

"Paul Maud'Dib-sama! I like you!"

"Gurney-san explooooooootion the family atomix!"

"Baron-sama's son Feyd-Rautha-sama is coming quick everyone activate the weirding way! Knife thrust, body roll!"

Avitue likes this.
  15. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't feel the same way since my favorite genre still has lots of great novels being started/completed even now, so yeah

16. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but rating systems are basically useless. Especially for new novels - one person loves it and gives it 5*, one person notices it has a genre he hates and gives it 1*, now it's a 3* overall and you won't see it if you're filtering for only high rated/ranked novels. It takes a few chapters for most people to rate so that sticks around for a while.

I've come across a few really good novels in the last few months personally.

17. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't use the rating system to find good novels. Personally, I would recommend that you go to the random novel option and filter out what you DON'T like. Don't choose anything that you like as preferred. Then, have the site generate a random novel that is not intruding into any of the things you don't like. This will allow you to get to read things that are of new genres you might have never known you liked, and help to not get yourself spammed with novels that you don't like.

Of course, I will say, translators are people and there's a limited amount who are good but don't do it professionally (as in completely making money off of their work). This is why there might be few translators who will go and look through novels. With the limited manpower, it is completely rational that there will not always be the BEST of the best series translated. But that's a reader's life in the web novel world.

18. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Filter these: Harem, Xianxia, Wuxia, Xuanhuan, and (maybe) Yaoi.
    For the last one, I did it because there's just too much BL posts that I become sick of them.

19. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    CN/cultivation novels often new novels picked.

20. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wish there was more fanfics like galactic garbage station or RP