Discussion Japanese novel so soft?!?!!!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ImperialNero, Oct 7, 2021.

1. ImperialNero

ImperialNero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So i just read this one novel, the villainess will go down in history. Honestly, i'm quite disappointed with how almost every characters are lacking braincell. Im not hating on it, in fact i think it is a good novel, but riddled with some illogical plot holes.
    That aside, can any one of you guys tell me what is cruel about remark that i bolded? i think is really normal and not the slightest way offending to other party? Or is it just another case of the japanese being really polite again?

He knew that I was acting like a villainess….?

Considering it’s Duke-Sama, I guess that fact isn’t entirely surprising. But, for him to admit it so easily…!

“….I don’t recall ever asking you to watch over me.”

Before I can even think, the lowest, most dreadful words are coming out of my mouth.

2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    the demographic is targeted at little girls

3. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I suspect the words and tone are impolite in the original language. The content is also insensitive as a response to someone's goodwill. And the MC might be too sensitive.

simak likes this.
  4. seemanta

seemanta ţɦɛ ʏօʊռɢɛsţ ɮʀѧţ ɨռ ţɦɛ ɦօʊsɛ

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, rather than politeness, it's just another way of showing off how softy, kind and nice the heroines are. In most JP novels, normal girls are soft, nice, kind, humble and innocent. That's why saint-like MCs doing even a slightly "bad" thing can make them a "villainess". Thinking like this sets off a gap moe halo and makes the MCs look inwardly nice but outwardly a villainess to readers (at least that's what authors think?). But honestly, they look like ridiculous pushovers to me when they do stuffs like this. Maybe it's a Japanese thing.

5. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

roata11 and Xxsafirex like this.
  6. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not sure of the context here, but going by what you bolded, it seems that the Duke was treating the MC very kindly, or maybe was taking care of her somehow even though she was bad, basically, being nice to her even if she doesn't deserve to be treated so, I don't know what she did to him but she seems guilty about something, or maybe she is just being cheeky? so, rather than showing her gratitude she is berating him XD

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    its cruel on exaggerate drama situation~ depend on setup, situation, background and stuff~

nothing new really if ya ever watch soap opera or long serial drama aim for midwife stuff~ sometime shoujo manga~

lolikuma.jpg

8. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the nobility usually speaks in classical, formal speech switching to the crudest plain form would add plenty of extra kick in Japanese.

ludagad likes this.
  9. zajrus

zajrus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Duke wants to help her but she's pushing him away and she feels bad about it...

ludagad likes this.
  10. TheLazyBastard

TheLazyBastard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link