Recommendations Modern world with Fantasy, but actually uses modern weapons and techs..

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Invadingcat47, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Invadingcat47

Invadingcat47 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone of you know if something like that actually exist? For example think of dungeon diving but they carry grenades, flashbangs. Or using drones strike, missiles, artilleries, heavy machine guns, napalm and other chemical weapons against magical beast. Anything that actually uses modern knowledge instead of people regressing to just using swords and spear, cutting up a bull's liver to divine enemies. I'm really disappointed that any fantasy set on modern world, the author ended up sweeping aside modern human's ability to make some scary stuff and practical solutions in favor of flinging off fireballs.

Really, Im starting to think that Youjo Senki is the only novel that actually blend technology and magic very well(even if its not in modern world). If you just want to write about fantasy you might as well set it in pre-industrial age instead of just ending up turning the modern world's capability into a window dressing.

evilwang likes this.
  2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Kamuizin

Kamuizin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s a matter of point of view. Modern technology may be overkill among normal beings, but most novels that work fantasy themes induce the evolution of the being where the body change to higher and harder levels.

At that moment, bullets may not enter a body, damage that would kill a normal person may be instantly regenerated among other stuff.

A novel that work magic and technology well, with more focus in technology, is The Legendary Mechanic. It’s MMORPG (MC is locked inside it as a previous player and current NPC) the concept of class and levels exist and the mechanic class has a kind of energy/aura that empower technology they use which keep the lethality of technology in higher levels.

4. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    Embers Ad Infinitum, post-apocalyptic fantasy
    The Zombie Knight Saga, contemporary fantasy

5. SUNOFA

SUNOFA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, by that logic, how is stabbing someone different from shooting them?
    Or how is blowing someone up with magic different from blowing them up with a bomb?
    I'm also annoyed by how people quickly abandon all technology the moment magic comes into play.

A silver lining here would be Nanomancer Reborn where the MC uses magic imbued nanotechnology to make all sorts of futuristic weapons to fight monsters and people. I find it annoying how since magic appeared guns instantly became useless cause they had no magic in them and it's harder to put magic in them since they are an entire mechanism, unlike swords which are just simple slabs of metal. But the moment MC shows up with properly magically imbued modern technology, suddenly she dominates the entire battlefield. The only reason MC is the only one with modern weapons is cause everyone else is just too lazy to make magoc imbued modern weapons, which I find to be the case for every other novel of the same genre.

There's also this manhwa Level Up Alone, sadly the MC here is a bit of a twat, but at least people use modern weapons against the monsters, more or less...

Cosmic_ likes this.
  6. TXHY

TXHY Normal Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm does Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei count? The world has magic, but it's combined heavily with technology, and at times you might find it having too much technical explanation, like the physics behind the working of magic and so on....

Bad Storm likes this.
  7. SUNOFA

SUNOFA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Say, would Metaworld Chronicles count? Over here is a modern society based around magic. They never actually developed modern weaponry (weapons based on gunpowder or chemicals), instead they modernised the art of magic itself. It's kinda similar to Versatile Mage, but better, since instead of magic spells automatically coming to you with every upgrade, the people here had to develop the spells and magical theory, like a form of science...
    Plus they don't fight like the middle ages, it's all magic. Either spells, or they use magic tools, which are either simple enchanted items, like storage rings, or machines, but powered by magic instead of electricity...

Or would you prefer things like Gate – Jietai Kare no Chi nite, Kaku Tatakeri with full on modern weapons VS fantasy?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  8. Kamuizin

Reading List:
    Link
    Level of the energy and energy behind the attack.

A bullet shot by itself will have a set amount of damage, a dagger stabbed can be stronger or weaker based on the magical enchantment of the weapon, strength of the user, density of the weapon and etc…

Can a gun be enchanted then? Of course, but my point is not to demy technology, but state why magic allow for more medieval approaches of battles.

9. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Just pointing out that the biggest advantage of modern weapons (in a broad, non-wmd sense) is the ability to mass produce them and the ease of use. If you want guns to match fantasy you'd need fantasy materials to break through both material limits and chemistry. Both of which would require highly trained individuals to create and might not be able to be mass produced. So I'd say that modern fantasy should have strong modern weapons, but due to power and scarcity they'd be hoarded by the upper class/government and probably used to equip a special task force. Also as previously mentioned, modern weapons all have a fixed power limit. If you want more power? Make a better weapon. Which circles back to better materials and skills needed to work those materials. So really, fully armed armies with monster killing guns is somewhat unattainable for a higher limit fantasy setting. Low fantasy though? Guns would wreck everything anyways so why make it fantasy in the first place? Keep in mind that I'm in no way a professional about guns and shit so this is my arm chair opinion.

Edit: I guess I'll add that My Fierce Tigress Wife has countries bombing the shit out of monsters

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Cosmic_ likes this.
  10. Invadingcat47

Invadingcat47 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If a gun is too weak, then make a bigger gun. Pistols and rifles are useless against fortifications, thats why we made canons and artilleries. Your bullet breaks too easily and cant penetrate at certain threshold? Use fantasy metals or enchant them with penetration power like in Youjo Senki unlike other novels which ended up simply bashing monsters with a sharp stick without using other more safer options.

I mean why uses a mage who can blow Cities when we already have that capability? Why not enhance explosives like missiles to be more explode-y? I love superhumans and magic as much as the next guy, but denying modern thinking as if the only option is to go medieval really grinds my gear.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  11. Kamuizin

Reading List:
    Link
    You just narrate most of the novel “The Legendary Mechanic:) (which i’m reading atm and hugely recommend).

There, the mechanic class has a kind of energy of his own that empower their machines, which keep technology in the same level as magic.

No one denied modern thinking here as far as i know.

12. PeanutButter and 23 others

PeanutButter and 23 others Purple Platypus Bear w/ Pink Horn & Silver Wing

Reading List:
    Link
    The Last Science by Etzoli
    Mother of Learning by Domagoj Kurmaic

13. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    HOw about the novel by Xiran Jay Zhou, one of them is Iron Widow, it's trending now.

14. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe something like:
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Anti-Monster Force (webtoon, IMHO +/- similar to FMA except they're fighting monsters w/ both magic & firearms)
    Monster #8 (manga, think of Kamen Rider Amazons mixed w/ kaiju fighting)
    Level Up Alone (manhwa, often mistaken to Solo Leveling)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    TXHY likes this.
  15. orangethegreatorange

orangethegreatorange Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm maybe The Novel’s Extra? I remember the MC uses a gun. Tho most characters use ancient weaponry.

16. SUNOFA

SUNOFA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Monster #8 is Kaijus and shit, not fantasy...

17. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Manuke FPS - not modern world, isekai'ed to fantasy world as his VRMMO character and still has access to his inventory and game store full of assault weapons and gear.

18. axelx

axelx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First you will need a industry that supports it, then you need access to high deposits of "high fantasy materials", then you will have a kingdom/society/country that needs to spend a lot of money on the "stronger materials" and every time they engage a fantasy creature they waste resources. Even if a gun is better then a sword, the ammunition it will need will be expensive, then you will have a sword user that can use that sword for numerous encounters without any additional cost versus a gunner that needs to spend money to get ammunition.

TL;dr: The ammunition for high level guns is to expensive.