Discussion how did you relieve headaches?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by msbwhy, Oct 8, 2021.

1. msbwhy

msbwhy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so today (8 oct 2021), i was going out to prepare for a very important exam tomorrow (9 oct 2021). i kinda not sleeping long yesterday but I'm not really sleepy when I woke up. But... after I'm done with my preparations today, I suddenly got a headache. I thought it must be due to lack of sleep but I can't take a nap (still studying for the exam), and most of the time I used to relieve headache with medicine (& most of the time it works) when it turned out.... the headache appeared again, like in a span of couple minutes ig??? i took medicine again. it didn't work. so I tried to take a nap (like 30 minutes), but it just wont disappear.

I'm thinking of taking a warm bath & sleep again with lights off...im hoping I'll be in clear mind when I take my exam tomorrow (not to mention I need to wake up early bcs the place is kinda far from my home...sigh)

Do u have any other advice to relieve headache quickly? thx

Alexcia likes this.
  2. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Take an aspirin or smth.

msbwhy and Arkantos like this.
  3. Rou

Rou Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Drinking lots of water
    Taking deeper breaths/ breathing fresher air

mir and msbwhy like this.
  4. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I get rid of headache the same way I fix a depressing day... sleep.

Though I guess it can also come from stress, nutrient deficiencies, etc.

msbwhy likes this.
  5. Kairil

Kairil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the headache comes from dehydration, drinking water can help. Caffein can be helpfull, too. If it's due to stress or stiff muscels around the neck I don't know any method other than pain killers :/ Though I myself tend to 'take another one' if one is not enough, and so on as long as I don't go over the daily recommended dosage (and even then, depending on the timing and my mood ^^')

msbwhy likes this.
  6. NikuMeat

NikuMeat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe youre just hungry.. try some sweets.. well maybe..

mir likes this.
  7. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    If your head is throbbing and it won't stop with your usual medication, you might be experiencing a migraine... in this case, your own advice below is the key to it.

Baldingere and msbwhy like this.
  8. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    cold towel on eyes
    drink water
    sleep
    do people not normally sleep with lights off?

mir likes this.
  9. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tension headache. If medication does not work, then that is about it, the only way to get out of it is to get rid of what is causing the tension. i.e go finish your exam.

Baldingere and msbwhy like this.
  10. Arde007

Arde007 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While going to sleeping don't think about exam and wash your hand feet and face with water before going to sleep

11. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends where does your head hurt. I always have headaches in the forehead(not sinuses) due to me always being tense and too much staring at screens, or rarely due to smells like when someone is burning stuff in their yard - 5min of that and I get a headache unless I manage to leave that area or close the windows in time.
    Oversleeping can cause a headache while sleeping doesn't relieve it at all so if I go to sleep with a mild headache, I wake up 8h later with a mild headache. Running and anything active makes it worse while being still for more than half an hour relieves it(depending on how bad it got, it may take longer, ofc no tv, pc or mobile during that time, might as well be meditation or reading a book)
    Regarding medicine, ibuprofen works for me while aspirin and paracetamol don't have any effect.
    Putting some pressure on the forehead helps - moderate, too strong makes it worse so sometimes I put on a beanie and pull it down on the forehead, usually I fold the bottom 2.5cm once for increased pressure.
    Again this is for tension, be it visual tension from too much screen time or uncounsciously tightening muscles all around including the head, a massage will help, you can do it yourself especially the temples.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    Baldingere likes this.
  12. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    Different headaches have different solutions:
    Please don't over medicate. Tylenol (acetaminophen) can cause sudden kidney failure if you overdose, which is usually deadly. Everyone's body is different, of course. Some people can take 12 a day with no ill affects. Some people can't handle even one more than recommended. Some can take 12 a day and then one day suddenly can't. Please follow the instructions.
    NSAIDs, (like ibuprophen, aspirin and naproxen) will eat at your stomach lining after a while. Aspirin is also a blood thinner and come with its own risks.
    If you must take more medication, try to space it out by a few hours and switch up which mediation you take. IE: ibuprofen, then 2 hours later, acetaminophen.

tension headache: massage your upper arms. If they're sore, it's probably a tension headache. Drink some water, actively loosen your jaw, massage your face and arms, stretch, take a bath. NSAIDs will be more effective than acetaminophen if you take medication.

Lack of sleep: go to sleep, but not just any sleep, true deep sleep. Take sleeping medication if necessary. Or eat a large protein rich meal just before bed. Small naps may only compound your headache and grouchiness. You won't be able to concentrate on studying anyways, and sleep will help you cement what you learned into long term memory. You can't run a car on no gas.

Low glucose: eat something. Preferably a mixture of protein and carbs and not just straight sugar. If you're diabetic, check your glucose levels.

Low electrolytes: drink a sports drink or some fruit juice. Or even just some water with a little sugar and salt added. A multi vitamin may help as well.

Dehydration: drink something. Try to stay away from caffeinated drinks as they tend to be dietetics and thus not really help the issue. Water, fruit juice, herbal tea, soda, sports drink, popsicles, etc.

Migraine: Medication, caffeine, a dark room, no sounds, and a long nap. Migraines can be persistent if you don't take care of them. It's best just to shut down for a bit.

Studying is important. But if you're exhausted on the day of the test, all the studying in the world won't help you. Take break and take care of yourself.

Good luck!

Bad Storm and Baldingere like this.
  13. S4TY4

S4TY4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mind you that I'm not a medical expert, OK?
    Paracetamol might help. But in case it's caused by dehydration, drink either coconut water or sport drinks (ie: Gatorade or Pocari)
    If it's still continue, try checking your blood pressure & seek medical help/advise in case it's very high (possibly high blood pressure, cholesterol or gerd)

14. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I like some very cold lemonade or drink some dark bitter coffee, sometimes they help with headaches XD

15. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Ibuprofen.
    Cool fresh air.
    Longer nap.
    No screens or lights, just natural light.
    Longer nap.
    Stop focusing or squinting.

Essentially take a break.
    If it a bad headache anything you are powering through to study won't stick very well.

16. Hibye

Hibye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Drink water. Lots and lots.
    If you still have headache then drink a little iron tonic or eat dates before you sleep. ( I'm not anemic. But it works for me)
    Quick relief but I suggest that you don't fo this: put your pillow above ur head and keep doing what u want

17. Laling

Laling Rest Easy, King

Reading List:
    Link
    Try massaging your scalp or your forehead. If the headache can be tolerated then try gently pulling your hair from the tips, put more force if you feel like it's not enough. Don't forget to take a break!

18. ajhearne

ajhearne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I get a headache from lack of water, lack of food, lack of sleep, or a stiff neck can cause a pretty bad headache, so when did you last eat when did you last drink water how high are your pillows those are the only problems I can think of that aren't disease related.

19. Deleted member 348269

Deleted member 348269 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Salonpas on forehead if i have headache besides some of the things others already mentioned.

20. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan lie down, pressing the aching part of the head against something hard, such as the metal bar at the foot of the bed. If Ai-chan's temples ache, Ai-chan grind the aching temple against the bar, which is easier than you might think. The head is very heavy, so you don't even need to do anything in particular, just place your aching place on the metal and let gravity does its work. You'll get better in just an hour. Even if you do it for like 10 minutes, that's an instant gratification right there, allowing you to go a few more hours without severe headache.

Or if you find that you don't know where your headache is, you just feel like your head is about to explode, just lie down on your back. Put the back of your head on something hard, a thick book is fine, a fairly flat rock is good too, if you can find one. Move your head right and left, up and down. Feel that part of your skull at the back of your head that feels like it's distended, as if that part of the brain has swelled and pushed the skull plate outward. Once you've found that distended bone, rest that point of your skull on that hard thing. Leave it for like 5 minutes and you will quickly feel better. But keep it that way until you fall asleep. You're not actually recovered, it's just providing you relief at the moment. You need to go to sleep so that the swelling reduces. What happens is, when you press the back of your head against a hard surface, this initiates a 'shutdown sequence', effectively slowing down your brain activity to the point that you can rest properly. That's just how our ancestors evolved.