Discussion What's the novel theme trend now?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Kaylee, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What're the novel trend in Jpn/Kor/Cn/Western/any other country that you read now?

Let's have light conversation.

Well, in Jpn, for novel, isekai is popular now, right? Isekai with dungeon, isekai in game/online game.

Kor, based on what I've seen from manhwa and novel, the rebirth/transmigration villainess troupe is very popular rn. Maybe 5years ago, it was the martial arts, supernatural power, magic, like how there were/are still going strong in webtoon.

Cn. Hm... I didnt really go into Cn novel/manhua 5years ago, only skimmed through, but theme like rebirth in wuxia/xianxia/xuanhuan was there and is still going strong for now. Presently, add with transmigration and system too.

But western......I dont actually familiar with western/english novel eventhough I read plenty of those in my childhood, stuff like enid blyton's novel and the like. Well, what I knew of western comics were those superheroes, the dc marvel thing. I like to read Donald duck, uncle scrooge, asterix, spirou, garfield, etc,should we call these european or western comics?
    I think, currently the western novel is often set in different world too, but not the second chance troupe from what I've had read.

So, I'm interested in hearing/reading abt the novel trend from you.

2. redleaf97

redleaf97 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Sign in system are now the trend

Kaylee, CardOne4All and animefan217 like this.
  3. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekai are trending in almost every country and not just JP XD

4. CardOne4All

CardOne4All Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekai is trending since the 2010s

Kaylee likes this.
  5. lavendidi

lavendidi First of Her Name, Lover of Cliches

Reading List:
    Link
    It's all about isekais, transmigrations, regressions, and reincarnations nowadays lol

(and I'm talking about all all three types here- KR CN JP novels)

For western novels, idk. It's been a long time since I read one. (sad but true)

Kaylee and aShinyVaporeon like this.
  6. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aright, what's sign in system?
    In western/europe too?
    In western/europe too?

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  7. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read a lot of fantasy. self published stuff has taken over western fiction, making it really hard to find new traditional published novels without going to the bookstore.
    western books are starting to pick up "xianxia inspired" novels, a ton of litrpg, and paranormal romance, which is now invading the fantasy section instead of the romance section where it belongs (so frustrating to think your getting a story about werewolves only to find that it's just a romance-focused novel with werewolves as the background setting).

Arkantos and Kaylee like this.
  8. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything BL. :blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary:

Bad Storm and Kaylee like this.
  9. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    You know how when you log into a website or game everyday you usually get some sort of reward it is the same sort of thing the MC goes into the sect Library everyday and will get rewarded with the "Golden Buddha fist technique" or the "Immortal spooning pillow of the Demon King" etc.

Kaylee likes this.
  10. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Paranormal romance is spelled as novel similar to twilight XD which I dont read.
    And yeah, I also saw few of those novel with xinxia inspired + mecha then add with romance too, in sort presently I found western novel doesnt have one big trend.
    Although the western fantasy 10years ago was very popular. A lot of them were out one by one, it's like everybody wanted to ride the trendy train. Harry potter, eragon, artemis flown, percy jakcson stuff, then some that didnot go to mainstream popularity but still got fans.

I wonder whether those xinxia inspired will have the cultivation level setting like Cn and Kor novel. For example in Kor, the 8th circle wizard or in Cn rise to one low level to the immortal.

Ah, in my mind romance novel is those harlequin novels which was booming here back then, and all stuff written by author like Nora Roberts and so on. I read few of these novel, and my conclusion was that they all basically the same, it's just romance do and done in different way, and I got bored so fast, I went back to mystery/detective novel from James Paterson and such.

11. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw a post abt it.
    The first time I heard this. And never read one.

12. heyaoi

heyaoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Transmigration survival systems too, based off of the recent Webnovel trial reads

Kaylee likes this.
  13. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel "80 Years Of Signing-In At The Cold Palace, I Am Unrivalled" isn't too bad if you want to try one.

Kaylee likes this.
  14. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll put this on hold for now :)

15. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, most recently in Japan (on syosetsu at least) the big trends are "abandoned protagonist" type novels. Most of them aren't even isekai anymore. And about half of them seem to be otome game type villainess characters.

Kaylee likes this.
  16. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there a Filter tag for sign-in system novels?

Kaylee likes this.
  17. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm, for ch novels (usually the bl ones) there are transmigration in a game/book/another world theme, rebirth theme, system theme(lots), different arcs theme (usually have different places and settings but same characters: also not my fav, but I've seen lots of them).

And for Korean, as far as I've seen it, there's only the action/dungeon/virtual game/ game become reality, etc. Usually, there are many of the action type.

For japanese, i think their famous every now and then theme would be harem lol and weird creepy horror.

Kaylee likes this.
  18. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, shouldn't these Villainess novels also count as isekai stories as well?

Saorihirai likes this.
  19. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And I see them in Kor novel scene too ,soooo many variations.

QT is also a popular trend in Cn novel.

I dont think harem will die XD
    But horror....hmm not seeing that much nowadays.

20. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. Often it's just about what happens after the villainess gets her engagement broken off, or the villainess was really the real heroine after all, or she was really looking forward to the engagement being broken off because the prince is a jerk or something. It's just some random twist on the scenario.

Kaylee likes this.