What gives you more existential crisis?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by OhCmmon, Oct 14, 2021.

?

What gives you more existential crisis?

1. Earth will eventually explode

2. You will die wayyyyyy earlier before that.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. OhCmmon

OhCmmon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Valid message

2. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    None of the above actually but I'd choose 2 over 1. I'm more concerned about my own life than a far off future where earth goes kaboom :blobrofl:

Sabruness and mir like this.
  3. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    My birthday....it's a reminder of my clock ticking

Tsukkin, Dafaq and Sabruness like this.
  4. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    The reasons is too far away from me.

Existence is very personal matter, and not in general. Death and the end of the world is very different thing. Of course all life will end.

But the fact that all life ends is not the issue but the time.

Human life is short. And surpringly, one day you'll just realized that you're life is an adventure to find your own sense of existence to have a sense of peace.before dying.

That's why, many people can't find their own reason for existing even after death.

But if it's the literal sense of existence, not in emotional, spiritual or something. Then don't you think the pandemic is enough reason for people to have an existential crisis.

More so, who knows when war will come.

So for.me it's the second. Everyone will die even before earth exploded. Hahaha...more so, according to theory, Earth will just become charcoal after the sun expanded, so it will not exploded. So there's really no life threatening thing for earth to explode. Unless, some extraterrestrial object from space collided with the earth. It will trully explode. Hahaha...if that's the case, then it could happen anytime. After all, space is really unpredictable place.

Resplendor likes this.
  5. MinUp

MinUp Maidenless, yet Homiefull

Reading List:
    Link
    The fact that no one will probably remember me a few generations after I die...

Dafaq likes this.
  6. Miku

Miku

Reading List:
    Link
    For me... capitalism do not work with sustainability and environment. And we'll keep buying, discarding things. And nothing made by the companies are made to last. The waste will just get sent somewhere, destroying its surrounding environment.

We're already doomed. The next gen bears the sins of our and previous generation. No matter how we individually change our lifestyle, the country magically expecting the debt will go away after the current regime, leading to bad financial practice.

It's not that the world will end. But the world is on the way to its end, and we'll live through that.

Resplendor likes this.
  7. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I expected to have died already. Seriously. I had reconciled myself about it long ago, so future death doesn't elicit any existential dread to me.

forktine and kkgoh like this.
  8. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Third option: "Watching humans self-destructing themselves due to their stupidity".

ANonMouse likes this.
  9. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    More that in bizilion year's pretty much the whole universe will be lightless cuz every star will burn off and even black holes will disappear so there will be 0 chance that something living could exist then.

10. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yea, I used to give a shit about humanity's future, but the older I get and the more I see humans being stupid and not learning from their mistakes, the more I'm sure we'll kill ourselves before the Earth is even close to reaching the end of its lifespan.

kkgoh likes this.
  11. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed with @SerialBeggar and @ANonMouse , all this "existential crisis" and "search for meaning" is a bunch of fufu BS, born from human conceit and anthropocentric biases (humans as the center of the universe).

Same thing as kids demanding to find "meaningful work", "following their passion" and all that nonsensical crap. There's dignity in hard work. It doesn't have to be a dream job. Being able to make a good living and providing for your family while enabling you to find other meaningful pursuits (hobby, investments, charity, etc) is just as acceptable.

We live. We die. Our lives won't even be a blip in history or anyone's radar other than close family.

As for what happens to Earth, look at how pointlessly miserable this family became over their anxieties.
    https://www.thisamericanlife.org/748/the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  12. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk...Imo, life is more worrying than death.

kkgoh likes this.
  13. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Somebody already planned something.

A computer simulation already stated we are going to have massive resource shortage 2050. We are all going to die. Movies show us what was on these people head. They come up with thanos to normalize us to their genocide.

They were the ones killed electric car in the first place, now they are frantically telling people to use renewable coz of climate change. Now they need to kill as many people as possible.

Now heres the big kicker.. do you let them kill all the sheep or do you let the earth burn and die?

14. Kairil

Kairil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only if I'd discover that there's always been a way to become a Pokèmon Trainer (occupation) or something along those lines would warant getting an existential crisis

15. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to live enough to watch the earth's natural destruction while sipping some cola from my chair onboard my starship !

16. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    Both of those give me great comfort actually.
    The planet is going to blow up so what I do today will have very little impact in the greater scheme of things, so why worry?
    And I'm going to die well before it happens so again, why worry?
    I do what I want. No one is gonna care if I wear a weird outfit to school or flub a conversation after two weeks much less after my death or the the death of the planet. It's all meaningless to anyone but myself and my loved ones. So I do what I want.

You know what gives me existential crisis? Walmart and the like.
    The sheer pointlessness of 90% of the items in it that aren't food. And much of the food often rots before it's bought. The made to fail nature of the products. The fast fashion. The seasonal decorations that are going to be thrown out after 1 or 2 uses. And the low wage workers who are busting their butts there to skrimp enough money together to eat and keep a roof over their heads. It's all so very depressing.

ANonMouse likes this.
  17. Dafaq

Dafaq Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to see the earth explode cause there's a lot of stuff in life and I feel like its all pointless if I don't get to at least experience it.
    I know it sounds shallow but if everything turns out to be pointless ,then that's just sadder than all other possibilities.

Lately I've started thinking that's one of the worst things that could happen to someone, it's a beautiful thing that we've shared this thought and dread in some confusing and twisted way.

18. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont know about you guys but I'm not dying. I'm just built differently.

But in all seriousness, some times I cry myself to sleep cause the thoughts of dying young get to me. It doesnt happen alot. Maybe like once every 3 months or so.

19. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    My "existential crises" only occur when I do really bad in something I'm usually good at... :blobsweat_2:

Fulminata likes this.
  20. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    2. But more than that, seeing my parent getting old.
    As a kid, I thought I had forever and time was moving slowly. As a teen up into my twenties, I thought old age will never come and I'm eternal. Or more like, I didn't think much about getting old and death wasn't a scary thought. I thought I was fearless. And now I see my parent getting visibly old and unlike their previous self and realization really hits me. I do have fears of losing my family and being alone in the world. I am getting old and will die in pain and alone eventually. And I wouldn't have seen any of the mysteries of the Universe. I won't achieve anything of significance either. Just another dead ant forgotten in time. Maybe that's why people want to believe in an afterlife.