Discussion Treating your little sibling better?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Alexcia, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm always awkward in this aspect. Like the problem also lies with her for being annoying, never understood what I said, acting stupid all the time. But still, not like I never like her, it's just we're not close.
    PS : i heard a troublesome thing happened to her from childhood today and I'm shocked and wanted to treat her better but idk how to, it's kind of heart to suddenly wear a nice fairy mask. Also, we're not living together.

Wujigege likes this.
  2. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    Start with some head pats, head rubs and some candies.

3. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who has an older sister I do remember we where like oil and water when we where younger.
    I'd say start with finding common interest like watching movies, tv series or animes together and slowly build from there.

mir likes this.
  4. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    for my little brother, I just treat him as an adult and it works, be his brother, his family and then everything else come naturally.

Saorihirai likes this.
  5. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhh~ Whenever my sis and I get into a fight, we'll watch TV or YT together and after I calm down (if she was in the wrong; if I was, I apologize to her), she comes over and links arms with me and we're all good again!

6. That One Average Fellow

That One Average Fellow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try to know about the things they like, like their hobbies and such and try getting along with them with said hobbies. I would suggest brainw coercing them into loving your favorite anime but I'm guessing they're too old for that now.

7. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Me and my younger sib have nothing in common. Like nothing xD. But since I'm more of a mild person, we don't clash at all. It's like coexisting with someone but you know you'll be there when you're needed or you need them.

meliori likes this.
  8. IRandomGuy

IRandomGuy ohhh, custom title...

Reading List:
    Link
    My father and his siblings have huge fight over $, kickout of own property, false death threat, cross-country "family roadtrip" to answer a court case about said threat.

For some reasons, my siblings really distance themselves from me & each other. When I/anyone approached them, they act like everyone have a motive. Weird.

9. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    From my experience, sometimes with your siblings you need to take a step back and not think about your relationship from what you know it as. It sounds weird, but it is kind of like sometimes meaningful communication never really takes place between siblings (or other family members) because you take each other for granted.

The normal relationship building steps never really took place (usually because it is skipped under the assumption that "you are family and so it is not necessary") and that's why it's weird actually being together- because you don't actually have a relationship, and the only thing binding you together is the fact that you have the same last name- nothing else. Idk, that is my experience with some of my siblings.

My point is that it is probably best just to take a step back, and then try to treat you sibling like you are trying to become friends with an acquaintance. It'll take some time, but just like any other type of relationship building, as long as you guys don't have serious issues between each other, it should be enough to deepen your relationship a bit.

It wouldn't hurt trying to see her more if you don't live together. Idk if you are an adult or not, but usually going out every now and then and eating together (or just going out of the house) is usually not a bad place to start. Especially if you are the one paying.

meliori likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Just give her a hug.

You are not a therapist

11. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this is not a novel

IRandomGuy, meliori and MisterBubbles like this.
  12. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Just spend some time together, go places together (even just to buy some daily necessities) talk about stuff together, make jokes, offer her some drinks and such stuff, bit by bit try to fix your relationship, it will take some time but you two are siblings so there is no need to worry about it too much, just don't force it, take your time by trying to be better to her each day XD

13. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Me and my siblings joke around alot like calling each other "ugly ass obese trollz dollz looking mfs" and other shit but we always tell each other we love each other.

The few times we do fight it usually ends with us apologising or forgetting about it. People in my family tend to just forget about conflicts after taking a nap.

14. meliori

meliori [in a dark tunnel seeing light from afar]

Reading List:
    Link
    The matter my older sister gets mad at me about is yes I'm being stupid and annoying. She's fiery but of course she cools down a bit as getting older and getting more mature happens.

She's far away and we didn't speak didn't chat at all for the earlier half of this year. But one day she just reached out to me, talked nothing, persisting over a period of time, and now I also feel the need to greet at least once a day, talk about the weather or anything at all. It's very superficial, but we just try to keep in touch as often as we can.

15. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sibling relationship is the number 1 for love and hate and the most complicated and difficult to mend beside parent/guardian-children ofc.