Horror?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GrimReeFer, Oct 17, 2021.

1. GrimReeFer

GrimReeFer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I have to know, the whole horror genre, people watch it because it "scares" them, movies, manga, stories, its all the same, like... none of it is real why does it scare any of you? I've never understood it, I laugh at most of it because It just seems dumb, but most people generally shit themselfs? (get scared)

2. heartantares

heartantares One Who Provides Uselessly Detailed Information

Reading List:
    Link
    i thought people read it for the context and back stories like... so and so killed hmmm and hmmm is suspected to have stayed in the house even after death because of ahhh? But we don't know is so and so really killed hmmm or if it wasbreally and accident but hmmm's spirit still resides here for whatever ? ? ? mystery reason.

Also i can't remember watching anything really scary.... i only remember jump scares and things that make my heart beat for a moment cuz suprise.... but isn't really scary in hindsight.... then again its been like years since i went anywhere to watch movies since that was something my sister did and dragged me along

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  3. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the thing is... Why would it be any fun if you don't get scared? :aww: That's the whole point~ You need to believe that it's scary, for it to be scary! Only then will you fully enjoy the horror genre. :blobcozy:

Also, ugly(?) or scary faces would usually trigger an automatic uncomfortable response from people's brains, I think. Also the music. I heard that from somewhere... :hmm:

4. Raebit

Raebit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe they are searching for the thrill and excitement

5. GrimReeFer

Reading List:
    Link
    you sound as bored of horror as me, but some people actually get scared.

what I mean... why is it scary? I legit don't understand.

and sorry I don't get the ugly faces thing, I would just beat them up,or die :/

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  6. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there is some kind of thrill and fun to them, I am talking about stuff like Saw or Friday the 13th and some other more or less same kind of movies, they makes you wonder what if? XD

7. GrimReeFer

Reading List:
    Link
    I get the "what if" part, but not why it is scary, it would hurt for a while, sure, but thats it, you would soon die, so what does it matter.

Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  8. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, the scary the part depends on your empathy, kind of like when you see others yawn you either do it if you got the empathy and you won't if you don't, it is about how emotional you are and how much mental fortitude and that kind of stuff XD

9. RiboseSugar

RiboseSugar Mirror Mirror, I'm beautiful. Fact, not question.

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember being so afraid of a horror movie that had a nun as the main monster but I realized it's mostly the music that scares you and the jumpscares or the cut to the scene there's a monster behind you. I watched the movie mute and read the subtitles instead it was hilarious :blobjoy:

10. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who shits themselves at the thought of horror (I can take horror manga and novels but horror movies is a no) . I’m a really paranoid person so I’m always paranoid that stuff like that is gonna happen to me irl. Ik it’s not gonna happen probably but i still get scared.

11. RiboseSugar

RiboseSugar Mirror Mirror, I'm beautiful. Fact, not question.

Reading List:
    Link
    Then again reading horrors doesn't have much impact as it's hard to visualize instead I think manhua is freaking scary. The one I read recently is called Ibitsu. I lasted 4 chapters before. Mind you I read more scarier shit but the manhua scared the crap out of me.

Read Ibitsu it's a very fun read you'll love it since you can handle manga ignore my previous replies about it. Tell me once your read them:blobupset:

12. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, I like reading novels and comics and such, but I generally don't touch horror movies or tv shows. It might just be a matter of medium preference, since I also like written and inert drawing mediums more in general, but it might be because I actually did get spooked by horror movies (it's mostly the jumpscares). I haven't seen one in so long now that I'm not sure if I still do.

Anyway, I like reading horror for the sort of high-tension, doomed sort of feeling they have, and the general creepiness. I rarely get scared of them, too, so they are more like thrillers than horror, I guess. The line between the two blends a bit too much, makes it hard to tell the difference.

13. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    Visuals and imagery scare me. Like what if!! Especially those things about serial killers. That totally happens in real life, y'know? Murder is scary!!

14. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People are not "scared", they are enjoying themselves since jumpscares give an adrenaline reaction, otherwise why would they keep coming back to "horror"? They are after the high that comes from the scare. Then there is the reaction to gore, same effect, they are there to get their hearts pumping. And for guys, *cough*, when the girl gets a scare and grabs on.... :whistle:.

That is for people in general though, I can't watch jumpscare movies because due to prior training, my conditioned response is to take a knee, draw and aim in the direction of threat. Close contacts is usually a fist to the face. It can be awkward and embarrassing at times to overreact to a potential threat but unfortunately it's already an inculcated reflex.

15. gyan7

gyan7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like to immerse myself in it otherwise what's the fun of watching a Horror theme! If you aren't scaring yourself then you're doing it wrong!

16. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah~ I dunno, for me at least it's the incongruent(?) music and my over active imagination that gets to me. Also, our family is quite superstitious.

For you, maybe you're just not as sensitive with those things? And maybe you have some defense mechanisms in place?

17. That One Average Fellow

That One Average Fellow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't want to sound rude but "none of it is real" is very shallow thinking, not being real pretty much encompasses all of fiction so why read at all?

People can get very immersed and invested in any story regardless of genre.

Daresan and Nightow1 like this.