Small Vent

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Sutad Aatma, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I am someone who reads reviews before starting the novel. I know reviews are biased and often contains spoilers, but I love reading about different perspectives from various readers before I start. And often times, authors who choose to go with poor synopsis/titles, the reviews become the decisive point which will help me choose the novel.

Now on to my problem. I obviously filter the novel tags in accordance with what I don't want to read. I have a hard time choosing a direction for searching new novels but I am sure about what I am not in a mood of. So obviously I end up finding novels that do not ruin my appetite completely. But turns out that's not the case for everyone.

There are a lot of readers that specifically come to diss a novel for having something that is usually either the main genre or is available in the tags. They go and crib about how so and so novel has angst. Or so and so novel's MC is too cold for their liking.
    Prime examples would be harem/reverse-harem tags because well duh. But I don't really care for them since they are in my list of tags to avoid. But yeah, I guess you could get the general gist of it with that as a sample.

I mean, look at the tag bro! If it has a tragedy tag, it is obviously not going to be fluffy. Or read the reviews without any spoilers because readers are very generous in pointing out that this novel has angst/tragedy/BE so if you are looking for fluff you should avoid it.
    It's like going to a butcher's shop and cribbing they are not vegan. Like obviously! They have it mentioned outside they are non-veg, in caps. Only if you would read! And not make life more annoying for others.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  2. Deleted member 313917

Deleted member 313917 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I do the exact same thing as you with reviews. So when i see those kind if im not careful they'll influence my opinion of the book and could make me miss a really good one until i look back into it later lmao. :blobcry:
    Adding a :blob_plusone: to your vent

Sutad Aatma likes this.
  3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    e~
    some say they don't wanna see tag cuz it spoiler that ruin da experience~ well duh~ ya reap what ya sow? nyahahaha!
    there probability they read before the tag added tho~

4. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree orz. Some of those reviews are really really useless because they're just complaints about personal preference for TAGS. :blobsalt:

5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It can be completely normal for readers to miss tags or even genres. Here's the thing: these are user generated, and it's possible for things to get mislabeled, or adjusted, or maybe the book may not have had the element in question until after it had been picked up. To illustrate the last bit: if I pick up a novel when the first 20 chapters are out, and it doesn't become a tragedy until chapter 75 then that can be a surprise.

Generally speaking, the "tragedy" genre is commonly mislabeled. The fake stuff can be a lot less emotionally engaging than the real stuff so a reader used to the former can have a negative reaction to the latter. So all in all, it can be a genuine mistake.

More likely though is that the review probably just sucks. However, you should expect that - most readers don't have the foggiest clue how to review books, and the material on NU is more prone to it than most other places. If you're out to criticizing the reviews here, you'll be doing it forever because it's so bad. The better bet is just to ignore the reviews in general.

Rumby likes this.
  6. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    There are definitely novels that don’t get tagged especially new and obscure ones.

Tbh some male mc kr novels I noticed have no harem tag when they start off (for example second coming of gluttony)
    The harem romance doesn’t start until the later half of the novel which doesn’t get added until reaching that in translations ( which is fair & makes sense honestly ) but I do sure get disappointed when the novel I hoped didn’t have harem, ends up having it.
    Like I feel it’s understandable to complain about not expecting harem then suddenly it comes along, as there wasn’t the tag at the beginning to avoid the harem novel in first place.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  7. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    oh this is definitely annoying! I hate harem novels, but I hate harem novels that show no tag even more. Trampling on my pure heart when Ii start to form a ship >.<

Missed tags and genres, I can excuse. But if I see someone cribbing that a novel is BL/GL despite the explicit tag, boy what were you here for? I do understand that tags can be missed because I have missed tags too which has led me to read dog-blood dramas >.< Tags which are added later is also, okay I understand. But ah! It is frustrating >.<
    I know NU, I can't expect any proper proper reviews but ay, I am not criticizing it since I know that this place has more of leisure fun guilty-pleasure type novels. Just a small vent from a reader >.<

Rumby and Deleted member 313917 like this.
  8. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    no review beforehand here, ima thirst for the unknown!

9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would! You don't have to be a professional reviewer to notice major problems in a book but this just doesn't happen consistently. I've read a book which I really liked for the most part, but the last quarter was a complete turd thematically. It's something that's impossible for anyone reviewing it to miss it but do you know how many reviews mention it? Just one. It's not really excusable but that's how reliable reviews on NU are.

10. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    damn that sucks
    Takes the joy out of reading
    I say, we should have a comment option in reviews where we can agree/disagree with certain parts of review lol

11. Emmie

Emmie Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I sometimes think it's upsetting esp when people who have many bad inputs about a novel make the reviews most of the time. While I feel as if it's a great novel, the reviews I see are all bad and it's saddening.