It finally happened

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, but that might be against gender equality tho, depending on how some people might take advantge of it of course, just like how those three men did, so that is not really a solution XD

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it was right for them to fake their gender, but tbh I do agree it shouldn't have been as big of a deal; like it's a bit insulting when people are like, "OMG! You're not a woman?!" and then act like that person's work is worth less because of it.

When judging a person's writing skills and work, gender shouldn't be a factor at all in the first place.

:blob_plusone: I think gender blind, race blind, all of that should be a thing. I mean, gender, race, etc- they have nothing to do with your ability anyways so the way people keep fussing about it when selecting people for the job/prize/award/etc is really :blobsalt:

4. KirbyNerd9

KirbyNerd9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry, are you trying to say that people are biased in favor of women? Your statement isn't very clear.

5. Bad Company

Bad Company Crossing the highways of fantasy

Reading List:
    Link
    How Jaime Foxx got his name is an example.
    ~4:50 start

Baldingere likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am saying bias affects how we perceive things.
    And these men took advantage. Basically, scammed their way into success.
    They didn't just use a pseudonym, they created a female profile backstory that they could market. Try reading the article. It's short

Haha perfect example.
    The same with the author of the comic Moteki.
    Since its shonen, she was advised to use to male pseudonym. A woman writing male stories usually isn't given a chance and vice versa.

She later wrote Yuri on Ice

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  7. KirbyNerd9

KirbyNerd9 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohh I understand now, thanks.

Wujigege likes this.
  8. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, things have reversed now. Female writers used to get published under male pseudonyms or no one would take them seriously.

Wujigege and mir like this.
  9. Writer_Luna

Writer_Luna Professional Liar

Reading List:
    Link
    The world keeps evolving every second somewhere somehow

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At times it is hard to taken a woman seriously when she is a Karen.

11. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    playing the devil's advocate....

I think gender blind, species blind, all of that should be a thing. I mean, gender, species, etc- they have nothing to do with your ability anyways so the way people keep fussing about it when selecting animals for the job/prize/award/etc is really bad.

It's a bit insulting when people are like, "OMG! You're not a human?!" and then act like that animal's work is worth less because of it.

When judging an animal's writing skills and work, gender shouldn't be a factor at all in the first place.

/JOKE

Ai chan likes this.
  12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    This is normal in the literary industry. Remember Danielle Steel? The one who often wrote about taboo subjects from girl's side? It's an open secret in the literary scene that Danielle Steel is a man. Yet, he was able to craft such compelling stories in female point of view.

In the manga industry, many times a mangaka is actually two people. It's not uncommon, especially in detective stories where multiple point of views of unreliable narration is required. It's really hard to do this alone. Ai-chan tried to write a detective story alone, but it just felt shallow, so Ai-chan never showed it to anyone.

Ai-chan doesn't understand why they considered this a big deal. Pseudonyms are normal. Genderbent pseudonyms are also normal. In many cases, the authors themselves are fictitious creatures, just like the stories they write. They should just move on.

It does however, matter if they took awards specifically meant for women authors. In that case, they should refuse the reward. But other than that, Ai-chan doesn't see how it's a scam like the LGBT activist specified. If readers buy a book just because it's written by a woman, that's the readers fault.

If the book is good, it doesn't matter if the author is a man or woman. After all, J. K. Rowling used gender ambiguity at first because her publisher was afraid the readers wouldn't buy her books if they knew she was a woman. If a woman is allowed to do it, why can't men?

asriu and mir like this.
  13. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed with all of the above.
    I think what makes me uncomfortable with this is not that it was done, but the idea that it was the reason for their books being successful.

And if the book is good, even if the author is a mouse or a hippo, the book is still good. That's my take on it.

I'm biased because I usually will intentionally avoid learning more about authors of books I read, because I want to see the book for what it is only.

Wujigege and Ai chan like this.
  14. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure where this came from. Made me wonder whether George Sand was a Karen xD. But being an asshole or a massive cheater never let people take men like Hemingway or J.F. Kennedy less seriously. It's just that women are held at a higher standard I guess. So unless they're free of human flaws and have a pleasant personality, they shouldn't dare venture out in the public eye. Well, though I agree I can't take entitled people shouting at minorities seriously. I usually separate the art from the artist, cause people tend to be disappointing overall once you learn about their private life.

Wujigege likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I mentioned the author of Moteki. She used a male pen name on the advice of her publisher.

The Karen hypocrisy @Kadmos1
    James Bond is cool but you get readers screaming "Thot be gone or die bitch" every chapter if a female character rejects the male character's romantic advances or disagrees with him