Question Popular bl novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Alexcia, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been wondering to why some bl novels are famous like TGCF, MDZS (mostly by the same author) or Priest's novels that been adapted to TV series and some just buried in the dark even tho the plot lines and everything are good or on pair with the ones I've mentioned? Like those are fairly similar to each other other but receive relatively less popularity?

So, i came into a conclusion and in a form of question like this; what made a novel popular?

2. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same thing that makes everything else popular, word of mouth. Though if people recommend it, it is most likely good. This doesn't mean that lesser ones are not just as good or better, they are just lesser known.

Lovina likes this.
  3. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that so? So, no particular reasons?

4. meliori

meliori [in a dark tunnel seeing light from afar]

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to know as well... But one reason I can think of is the existence of an extensive fandom for the series. When the contents are not limited to only the original series, then people would linger, and attracting more people to come. The popularity snowballs.

Lovina likes this.
  5. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    The contents are not limited to only the original series? What does this mean?

6. meliori

Reading List:
    Link
    Fancontents

7. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah! I also noticed there's many fan arts going around those popular ones too!

8. meliori

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, and not all series will have that opportunities. But what creates that opportunity in the first place? Idk :blobsalt:

And probably because MXTX's works particularly give the readers a kind of feeling like "I want to see more of them!!" that not every story can do. So like-minded fans gather and starts attracting more attention

9. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    I see, so it's a work of mystery!

meliori likes this.
  10. meliori

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw I also have read a few MDZS fanfictions but never read the book itself. I just want to join in the fun, being in a fandom is fun

11. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah! I see i see, I've read her original works lol

12. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my experience word of mouth does it. People create fandoms, recommend it and post about it. This makes people interested and read it, then the cycle continues growing the fanbase and popularity.

An example of the is BTS. I don't particularly like them, nor is there anything unique about them. However they managed to amass a following. I'm not saying they are bad, their music is good but there is a lot of kpop that is just as good or better. That's why are lot of famous people say luck has a big part to play.

So these series are good and were lucky enough to gain attention.

Lovina and Alexcia like this.
  13. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes all from mystery and luck ...

IceLight303 likes this.
  14. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Social media.

As for authors like MXTX and Priest, their novels got popular adaptations (the Guardian live action was HUGE, and so was the Founder of Diabolism donghua). Why do you think Japanese publishers of light novels bankroll their anime adaptations? They are adverts for the source material!

Lovina and IceLight303 like this.
  15. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    WOAHHH!!! i see i see so it's also like that!!!!

baka8roukanako likes this.
  16. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, MXTX & Priest's works lend fame to their other works. So that might be part of it? Like MXTX has 3 good novels and they all help each other gain more fame and can all be marketed together!

Alexcia likes this.
  17. applebeans

applebeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. easy to read, + what people were looking for, hits people's :aww::blobsob::blobpats::blobhero::blobangery: spots
    A devoted lover, strong MC, beautiful settings, reincarnations, etc etc. Not a difficult subject or really heavy so people can read them and feel good everyday. It's way easier for me to read MXTX's novels than Priests, beside that Priests's works are more poetic and complicated, MXTX has familiar tropes I've seen somewhere else.
    You think like this, Boba is really popular, it's a very simple recipe, everyone knows what it tastes like and easy to carry around. Popular novels are like this. One novel has overwhelming and consistent positive reviews, the other has conflicting reviews highlighting different negative points or difficult subjects, which will you read? people would easily choose to buy a boba than sit in a stall waiting for sago shaved ice with black tapai and tropical fruits they don't usually eat.

2. Familiarity/presence
    These authors have at least one really popular breakout novel, their other novels are not lower in quality, their updates are consistent and bulky, their novels are stimulate artists -> social media presence -> more people exposed to it -> more people read it -> fanbase grows
    The more these authors write, the bigger the fanbase grows.

3. Something special
    Familiar, but needs that special OOOMPH to push it to be extraordinary
    otherwise, there's no reason to favor it over all the other novels
    For example, MXTX again because i'm familiar with her works, Scum villain has:
    • MC who is not a holy mother who senselessly pamper villain then turn back to the audience being like, whaT??? why did he changE????! when!?!? Why is he so enamored with me now?????!
    • ML POV is not clearly leaked to readers, leaving us to read his actions
    • other characters are not instantly/automatically gay just because of the genre. you can ship them, but they are not canonly gay.
    • hidden and unusual backstories for the villains (which I heard was plagiarised, too bad.)
    • The original author also transmigrated, and for no narrative purpose, he's just there, hanging.
    This special something, it's different enough to make people talk about it, but not so drastic that people are turned off. A little spice makes something genius. Too much spice and it's insane.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Alexcia likes this.
  18. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    oh i heard! and yes i've also read Scum villain and i didn't that plagiarize part as you know, every single one of those theme with villain become the main character actually got similar plot with the tragedy and all back stories. And because it's so similar to other system novels and stuff that i've been wondering why only this one got famous and not the other even when the content was almost similar to each other.

19. applebeans

applebeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ye that’s why I think word of mouth/fan community in social media really helps in starting the wave

Alexcia likes this.
  20. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    umm got it