Discussion How to spot a liar?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    When I lie, I don't create a whole other reality. I use omissions, misdirections, joking manner as if I didn't just say a very real and serious situation and so on and so forth. I found that the best way to keep a lie from being unraveled is to treat it as if it's real. A real memory. Something that actually happened. Keeping consistent. Trying to avoid loopholes or mixing up your different lies.

Anyway, this isn't about how to lie. It's about how to spot liars... I just said that since my usual way of spotting liars is finding inconsistencies between the statements and stories. A lot of times Sometimes, I also just go with gut feels :blobrofl:

P.S. I'm bad at discerning gestures and facial expressions.

2. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    Most liars have some sort of a tell. But if you're a political liar, going around the issue and not directly answering the question shows thee arte a liar. When I lie and it's a bad lie I smile, but when I lie seriously, I don't show any change at all.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    seemanta likes this.
  3. Arkantos

Arkantos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just like you said finding inconsistencies, some details that dont add up. Hearing someone say something that you only told one person

seemanta likes this.
  4. Deleted member 369806

Deleted member 369806 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not that great at spotting liars unless i've known the person well. But i find that it would be easier to tell (at least amongst those i've known) whether they lie or not by looking at their eyes. If they maintain eye contact without breaking it for even a second, they probably lied. And if they never even make eye contact for a second, then they probably also lie. Other than that, looking at how stiff or relaxed their body(mostly hands and shoulder) are, is also a good way to tell, probably.

As for how to lie, i personally think that the best way to lie is to use facts to support the lies.

6. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    Being able to discern a liar or not, doesn't matter.

What matters is that, what will they get when they lie to you?
    Does outweigh breaking your trust to lie to you?
    What's their motivation? does it benefit them greatly?
    That's what's important... IMO

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    When I'm playing a game that revolves around lying, I try to avoid lies and to just hide information to the best of my capability... As for finding out if someone is a liar or not, I usually just trust them or use probability to find out which one is more likely to be lying.

Outside of such scenarios, I tend to just believe people and take their word for what it is. I generally avoid lying as well.

seemanta likes this.
  8. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't lie, I always say the first thing that comes to my mind

9. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    for motivation it heavily depends. I have my fair share of lying because it was fun and exciting during the moment. I almost always tell at the end that I lied, just so that they are aware.

Nefasdetestasti likes this.
  10. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    The top tip that seems to be true to spot a lie. Is eye contact. If it shifts or shake. It’s a dead give away, but that usually only work if the lie is fresh. If they been lying for a while. The lie becomes the truth. So they are able to look at you without wavering.

As to my style of lying. It’s simple. I don’t lie. You probably asking are you serious. Let me explain. Often time lies are found out because the story changes or there’s to many holes. It’s very hard to keep to the script all the time. One mess up and that’s it. So keep it to the truth. I just don’t say anything more. Just the bare minimum and truthful.

At least that’s what I do

Bad Storm likes this.
  11. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    The best way to hide a lie, is to not lie in the first place. Speak as little as possible and they will lie to themselves. Speech is the best human gift, yet it's always best used sparingly in all situations.
    The best known to me way to spot a liar is... complicated. It's easy if they are obvious. If they talk a lot, they will likely lie just because that's how humans are, where they lied is usually revealed in insignificant details. If they speak little, you just have to put what they say under scrutiny.
    In any case, unless they are malicious about it, most will not find it comfortable to lie and it just is obvious when they do. If they are, then to find where they lied use empathy.

12. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    That's true, maintaining a long-term lie could be quite taxing that why I find treating it as the truth helps out the burden of keeping track of the details... not that I keep long-term lies. It's almost always easier to be honest.

13. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most lies typically have too much detail. A bad lie has too little. A true tale has the right amount of detail but a bit of forgetfulness. But some are just good liars because they believe in their own lie.

14. TheBlueLaundryBag

TheBlueLaundryBag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't lie. I speak before thinking and end up blurting out the truth. I'm also bad at spotting a liar so...No idea.

15. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look at the subconscious eye pattern as you ask questions (it doesn't work in all situations and on all people):

1. visual remembered (top right as you are looking at them);
    2. audio remembered (middle right as you look at them);
    3. self talk, or calculations(lower right as you look at them);
    4. visual constructed (top left as you look at them);
    5. audio construct (middle left as you look at them);
    6. tactile (lower left as you look at them).
    (source NLP)

Also the best way to hide a lie is to mix truths and lies together in your story and use "KISS" (Keep It Short and Simple).
    The most important is to be confident and believe your own lies for the short conversation.

16. seemanta

seemanta ţɦɛ ʏօʊռɢɛsţ ɮʀѧţ ɨռ ţɦɛ ɦօʊsɛ

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like lying unless it's something I need to do. Cause small lies are kinda unnecessary and I forget the details too fast to keep up the facade. In case of big lies, I imagine, repeat and correct the whole process in my mind untill I can picture it in my head. Then I talk about it like it's an actual memory. And then I gradually forget about them, just like my real memories.
    I usually spot lies depending on my gut feelings, experiences and inconsistency. It only happens with people I know well. And I don't really care about the other people so I'm too lazy to even think about whether they're lying or not.

17. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Nefasdetestasti

Nefasdetestasti ❄️Wɪɴᴛᴇʀ's Sᴏɴɢ❄️ ||| [Schrödinger Pantsu]

Reading List:
    Link
    True, not all have the motive to lie.
    Some just want a kick for it.

19. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Politicians lie a lot

Most of them get caught by gestures professionals. Thats why most politicians would just evade the questions by misdirecting the answer.

20. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not good at it. I can't spot the werewolves when I'm a citizen.

One Perfect Veteran likes this.