Discussion How to spot a liar?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Oct 20, 2021.

1. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    According to my textbooks, research says that most people can't detect lying, even law enforcement or other "trained professionals." However, there is a sure tell but individuals cannot do it in the moment- people who lie tend to speak at a minimally higher pitch. People don't do it in a way that you can tell in if they were lying to you face-to-face, but if you went back on a recording of them lying to you and measured frequencies- it would be obvious.

asriu and Baldingere like this.
  2. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Supposedly, there are three types of jobs that make a living on lying...politicians, lawyers, and actors. If you want a high degree of confidence that the other side is lying, just look for one of these three.

3. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it considered lying for actors?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  4. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. But on the same vein, there are good lies and bad lies.

5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    it is hard to detect lie, really~
    expression, gesture, tone hmmm physical sign then psychological sign~ other way is knowledge to certain event or thing that doubt as lie~ there also condition where the one who put question already or incline toward answer that on side of lie so it doesn't matter~ hmmm bias~

knowledge, experience then believe or not.... intuition~ intuition can come from knowledge that honed by experience or other way around~ intuition can also come just from who know what, example mother to her child... well sometimes parent especially mother can detect their children lies like sixth sense but let it slide so careful when lie to them~ don't be hasty to feel proud ya can fool the mommy~

6. gyan7

gyan7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I try my best not to lie. I am also bad at lying. Everyone in my family just lays down the facts as they are and they'd rather that you speak up the truth than try to lie. Being disappointed for whatever reason is fine. Being lied about it is worse.

And I know what you're trying to say. Trust me, don't make it a habit. You will just delude yourself and be uncertain of what really happened if you make it a habit. You will forget what you, yourself did and find yourself to have dug a big pit for yourself; and if you still don't stop, people will eventually catch on. Those around you will know that they can't tell if you're lying or not! And so, even if you're telling the truth at some point. No one will believe you and it will just break your heart.

So don't do that.

How to spot liars?

That isn't easy because it depends from person to person. Someone who is deluding themselves with a different reality probably can't be spotted. But I noticed that those who don't lie often show obvious signs. Like their eyes dodging, hands fidgeting or smiling with a helpless look. Some people get more aggressive when they're lying just to try to hide their awkwardness.

7. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Play some "Among Us"
    You will get better at both spotting lies and lying. :D

sus

8. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was young I thought my life was too boring, so I used to lie during conversation with my classmates to the point that sometimes I don't remember if it's a lie or truth.
    Until now no one spotted my lies so I think I'm quite experienced in this area ?

9. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People think much of their "liar radars" just like this video on fighting effectiveness shows another area of self delusion.

I had plenty of times where people thought the truth was a lie and other where they never find out "truth" they heard is a lie.

It depends on how worked up they are. If they are chill, they aren't likely to care either way and will possibly assume its truth what you told them.

If they are conivnced of something they thought up, no amount of truth is gonna get through their skull.

10. phoebedawson

phoebedawson New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, It takes time to find out if someone is lying.